Micro ATX build -Need Help-

magruder13

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Ok so about a year ago i built myself a desktop pc learning as i go, its pretty solid, i got XP, Phenom 9550, 2gb 1066, Thermaltake armor+ LCS, (need help OCing my processor harder cuz that case keeps it quite cool, tutorials didn;t help much in my situation but i did learn alot from them) Asus A3m mobo, 9800 GTX, and other stuff. To get on subject, im building another computer for when my friends come over they dont gotta bring their comps (we LAN on COD4 and CSS) so im gonna try to build a Micro ATX build and im a little stuck, here is what i have so far.

CASE
APEVIA X-QPACK-BL/420 Black/Blue Aluminum MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Retail

MOBO
XFX MG63Mi7159 LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7150 / nForce 630i HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

RAM
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2K2/4GR - Retail

CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model HH80562PH0568M - OEM

HDD
Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

i have a cd drive, mouse, monitor, and keyboard, all i need next is a videocard that i can fit inside of it, i want something powerful like a 8800 but there is no way it will fit, and a Heat sync, ive never seen a Micro ATX computer so im going in completely blind on this one! Please help! thanks

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
You could go with a HD4670, it's pretty small and should be able to handle the games you mentioned without much lag (unless you're playing at a high resolution).

I think the quad core and the high end RAM might be overkill for a computer that's not going to see a lot of use. I would probably just get a E5200 and overclock, but that's your decision.

Take a look at the silverstone tj08 case .
m-atx with two 120 mm fans mean its a wind tunnel . The internal layout lets you install even the biggest gfx cards . And the width of the case is enough to install a scythe ninja cpu cooler .

The only negative is the space between the front fan and the case grill collects dust and it isnt so easy to clean out

Not sure why you want to stick with an ide hard drive. Maybe you already have it? Especially in m-atx its better to get rid of the big ide ribbon cables so sata isnt only faster its a better choice

I think your mb only supports single channel memory . I'd probably use an intel chipset board . No point paying extra for hdmi on the mb either if you will use a gfx card

magruder13

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Wow did not notice the HDD wasn't SATA, and im thinking about getting a different mobo/cpu neway, i have an AMD and i dont really care for them, everyone on the forums always talks about cpu's in slang (like a phenom is refered to as a 9500 or w/e) so i dont really know whats good and cheap at the same time. Im gonna put a little more work into my current desktop and see what i can pull outta that first.