Playback of AVI Files. How or how do I convert to somethin..

May 7, 2004 12:40:52 PM

I have an AVI File that I want to view on my PPC 2003.

Is there a player that will play the .AVI file or is there a converter that
I can use to convert it to something I can play?

Thanks,
Scott<-
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 9:58:45 PM

You can download windows media encoder from the MS windows media site,
which then you just use the wizard to point it at the AVI, choose a
Pocket PC encoding profile and hit go. Should happen very quickly for
that profile (PPC) as its set up for only 320x240 video, 48kbps audio.

Or you can go to the Veo website (www.veo.com) and get the veo SD
camera software. It has an image and AVI viewer built it - so I can
watch the AVIs the camera captures. You don't need to have their
camera to run the software (though it will mention that the camera is
not plugged in , ignore it)

CHeers - Neil

On Fri, 7 May 2004 08:40:52 -0700, "Scott Townsend"
<scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:

>I have an AVI File that I want to view on my PPC 2003.
>
>Is there a player that will play the .AVI file or is there a converter that
>I can use to convert it to something I can play?
>
>Thanks,
> Scott<-

Anonymous
May 7, 2004 9:58:46 PM

PocketMVP (google for it) is freeware and will play most avi files, however,
depending on size and quality of your original file it may need converted
down to make it a little more pocketpc friendly. you can use virtualdub or
dr divx to re-encode to a smaller file size, but if your going to do that
anyway, I prefer windows media encoder and the preset pocketpc
settings - -works great !!

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
You can download windows media encoder from the MS windows media site,
which then you just use the wizard to point it at the AVI, choose a
Pocket PC encoding profile and hit go. Should happen very quickly for
that profile (PPC) as its set up for only 320x240 video, 48kbps audio.

Or you can go to the Veo website (www.veo.com) and get the veo SD
camera software. It has an image and AVI viewer built it - so I can
watch the AVIs the camera captures. You don't need to have their
camera to run the software (though it will mention that the camera is
not plugged in , ignore it)

CHeers - Neil

On Fri, 7 May 2004 08:40:52 -0700, "Scott Townsend"
<scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:

>I have an AVI File that I want to view on my PPC 2003.
>
>Is there a player that will play the .AVI file or is there a converter that
>I can use to convert it to something I can play?
>
>Thanks,
> Scott<-

May 7, 2004 9:58:46 PM

Downloaded the encoder, What a great Tool...

Converted it perfectly for the PPC!!! Scaled the Resolution to the right
one for my PPC too!

Thanks!

Scott<-
"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> You can download windows media encoder from the MS windows media site,
> which then you just use the wizard to point it at the AVI, choose a
> Pocket PC encoding profile and hit go. Should happen very quickly for
> that profile (PPC) as its set up for only 320x240 video, 48kbps audio.
>
> Or you can go to the Veo website (www.veo.com) and get the veo SD
> camera software. It has an image and AVI viewer built it - so I can
> watch the AVIs the camera captures. You don't need to have their
> camera to run the software (though it will mention that the camera is
> not plugged in , ignore it)
>
> CHeers - Neil
>
> On Fri, 7 May 2004 08:40:52 -0700, "Scott Townsend"
> <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
>
> >I have an AVI File that I want to view on my PPC 2003.
> >
> >Is there a player that will play the .AVI file or is there a converter
that
> >I can use to convert it to something I can play?
> >
> >Thanks,
> > Scott<-

Anonymous
May 8, 2004 3:12:18 PM

In article <409bcdca.1576456@news.blueyonder.co.uk>, neil@nospam.com
says...
> You can download windows media encoder from the MS windows media site,
> which then you just use the wizard to point it at the AVI, choose a
> Pocket PC encoding profile and hit go. Should happen very quickly for
> that profile (PPC) as its set up for only 320x240 video, 48kbps audio.

Can WME resize/encode divx to ppc format?

--
----------------
Darijo Vrban

I'm not sure - I guess if the codecs are available to WME to decode
divx avis it would be possible but I never really tried it. Alessandro
might know for sure. Something tells me WME wouldn't be able to read
divx'd avis tho.

Cheers - Neil.

On Sat, 8 May 2004 11:12:18 +0200, Darijo Vrban
<wrbex@JEBO_SPAMvidam.hr> wrote:

>In article <409bcdca.1576456@news.blueyonder.co.uk>, neil@nospam.com
>says...
>> You can download windows media encoder from the MS windows media site,
>> which then you just use the wizard to point it at the AVI, choose a
>> Pocket PC encoding profile and hit go. Should happen very quickly for
>> that profile (PPC) as its set up for only 320x240 video, 48kbps audio.
>
>Can WME resize/encode divx to ppc format?
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 6:22:11 PM

Sure, the default settings are OK. But I found that it's possible to
use VBR (variable bitrate) so that high motion scenes with lots of
audio complexity would be broken up a bit (pixellated) on the CBR
(constant bitrate) codec. VBR theoretically will allow low-motion
scenes to run at a lower bitrate, and higher motion scenes to pick up
the slack.

As always, play with the default profile settings, and save your
tweaked profile for those special moments ;-)

Cheers - Neil.

On Fri, 7 May 2004 15:13:16 -0700, "Scott Townsend"
<scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:

>Downloaded the encoder, What a great Tool...
>
>Converted it perfectly for the PPC!!! Scaled the Resolution to the right
>one for my PPC too!
>
>Thanks!
>
>Scott<-
>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> You can download windows media encoder from the MS windows media site,
>> which then you just use the wizard to point it at the AVI, choose a
>> Pocket PC encoding profile and hit go. Should happen very quickly for
>> that profile (PPC) as its set up for only 320x240 video, 48kbps audio.
>>
>> Or you can go to the Veo website (www.veo.com) and get the veo SD
>> camera software. It has an image and AVI viewer built it - so I can
>> watch the AVIs the camera captures. You don't need to have their
>> camera to run the software (though it will mention that the camera is
>> not plugged in , ignore it)
>>
>> CHeers - Neil
>>
>> On Fri, 7 May 2004 08:40:52 -0700, "Scott Townsend"
>> <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have an AVI File that I want to view on my PPC 2003.
>> >
>> >Is there a player that will play the .AVI file or is there a converter
>that
>> >I can use to convert it to something I can play?
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> > Scott<-

Anonymous
May 10, 2004 1:07:55 PM

My experience has been anything I can play in windows media player, I can
encode using windows media encoder. Divx works great, and I find I hardly
ever watch movies on my PC anymore, It's just too nice to have them mobile
!!!

I'm not sure - I guess if the codecs are available to WME to decode
divx avis it would be possible but I never really tried it. Alessandro
might know for sure. Something tells me WME wouldn't be able to read
divx'd avis tho.

Cheers - Neil.

On Sat, 8 May 2004 11:12:18 +0200, Darijo Vrban
<wrbex@JEBO_SPAMvidam.hr> wrote:

>In article <409bcdca.1576456@news.blueyonder.co.uk>, neil@nospam.com
>says...
>> You can download windows media encoder from the MS windows media site,
>> which then you just use the wizard to point it at the AVI, choose a
>> Pocket PC encoding profile and hit go. Should happen very quickly for
>> that profile (PPC) as its set up for only 320x240 video, 48kbps audio.
>
>Can WME resize/encode divx to ppc format?
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 1:09:38 PM

great tip !! you're right, works much better !!

Thanks

Sure, the default settings are OK. But I found that it's possible to
use VBR (variable bitrate) so that high motion scenes with lots of
audio complexity would be broken up a bit (pixellated) on the CBR
(constant bitrate) codec. VBR theoretically will allow low-motion
scenes to run at a lower bitrate, and higher motion scenes to pick up
the slack.

As always, play with the default profile settings, and save your
tweaked profile for those special moments ;-)

Cheers - Neil.

On Fri, 7 May 2004 15:13:16 -0700, "Scott Townsend"
<scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:

>Downloaded the encoder, What a great Tool...
>
>Converted it perfectly for the PPC!!! Scaled the Resolution to the right
>one for my PPC too!
>
>Thanks!
>
>Scott<-
>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> You can download windows media encoder from the MS windows media site,
>> which then you just use the wizard to point it at the AVI, choose a
>> Pocket PC encoding profile and hit go. Should happen very quickly for
>> that profile (PPC) as its set up for only 320x240 video, 48kbps audio.
>>
>> Or you can go to the Veo website (www.veo.com) and get the veo SD
>> camera software. It has an image and AVI viewer built it - so I can
>> watch the AVIs the camera captures. You don't need to have their
>> camera to run the software (though it will mention that the camera is
>> not plugged in , ignore it)
>>
>> CHeers - Neil
>>
>> On Fri, 7 May 2004 08:40:52 -0700, "Scott Townsend"
>> <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have an AVI File that I want to view on my PPC 2003.
>> >
>> >Is there a player that will play the .AVI file or is there a converter
>that
>> >I can use to convert it to something I can play?
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> > Scott<-

Anonymous
May 11, 2004 1:18:47 PM

I've just been using the default Convert file Wizard to convert the files.
I need to figure out how it all works without the Wizard as my movie files
have no audio. (yet anyway) , I've been using the VBR and the PPC Large
mode. (320x240). Seems like if I can loose the Audio encoding (even though
there is no audio) I can get the file smaller?

I have several thousand still images of a construction site and am merging
them all together to form one of those movies showing the building being
built. Wanted a PocketPC version so I can show the Project Managers and
jobsite people what its going to look like when its all done.

Thanks again for the tip...

Scott<-

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Sure, the default settings are OK. But I found that it's possible to
> use VBR (variable bitrate) so that high motion scenes with lots of
> audio complexity would be broken up a bit (pixellated) on the CBR
> (constant bitrate) codec. VBR theoretically will allow low-motion
> scenes to run at a lower bitrate, and higher motion scenes to pick up
> the slack.
>
> As always, play with the default profile settings, and save your
> tweaked profile for those special moments ;-)
>
> Cheers - Neil.
>
> On Fri, 7 May 2004 15:13:16 -0700, "Scott Townsend"
> <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
>
> >Downloaded the encoder, What a great Tool...
> >
> >Converted it perfectly for the PPC!!! Scaled the Resolution to the right
> >one for my PPC too!
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Scott<-
> >"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> You can download windows media encoder from the MS windows media site,
> >> which then you just use the wizard to point it at the AVI, choose a
> >> Pocket PC encoding profile and hit go. Should happen very quickly for
> >> that profile (PPC) as its set up for only 320x240 video, 48kbps audio.
> >>
> >> Or you can go to the Veo website (www.veo.com) and get the veo SD
> >> camera software. It has an image and AVI viewer built it - so I can
> >> watch the AVIs the camera captures. You don't need to have their
> >> camera to run the software (though it will mention that the camera is
> >> not plugged in , ignore it)
> >>
> >> CHeers - Neil

> >that

Anonymous
May 11, 2004 10:15:08 PM

On Tue, 11 May 2004 09:18:47 -0700, "Scott Townsend"
<scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:

>I've just been using the default Convert file Wizard to convert the files.
>I need to figure out how it all works without the Wizard as my movie files
>have no audio. (yet anyway) , I've been using the VBR and the PPC Large
>mode. (320x240). Seems like if I can loose the Audio encoding (even though
>there is no audio) I can get the file smaller?

That should be correct. Just uncheck the audio source when you pick
the input files and you will get no option to choose an audio bitrate
, and afaik should get no audio stream in the wmv file produced.

!