4870x2 2Gb multiple issues

sshendric

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Hi guys,

Hope someone would be able to help on this one ...

Bought a new system:

Intel core 2duo E8500 3.16Hz
4Gb of Ram
ati radeon 4870x2 2Gb ddr5
Vista x32

all software is licenced, windows updater informs that I am up to date, got the latest driver 8.12 from ATI on the video card.

issues:

issue 1: can't extend my desktop to a second monitor. I can clone, switch between two monitors but can not extend it. In the ATI software, when you pick that option it just doesn't do anything.
- tried removing the video drivers and installing the latest 8.12 from scratch, didn't help
- saw a lot of posts somehow related to BIOS, flashing it and such but no actual guide on how to do it

issue 2: pathetic FPS in World of Warcraft. Got about 15-25 FPS while both CPU cores are running at 50-60% and memory utilization at 60+%. On my ancient Nvidia card, had about 40FPS.

concerns:

sudden system crashes. Not sure if this relates to vista or the card, but now and then the PC just reboots, sometimes 3-4 times in a row.

not sure if all of the above is related or not, but all I got on the PC is World of Warcraft and OS ...

many thanks in advance for anyone who can point me to the right direction or perhaps even a solution to these issues