Better to ship or fly with a desktop?

Megiddo7s

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I'm looking to get my desktop computer to my university... would it be better to fly with it or to send it fedex/ups? It's about the same price either way (darn you Delta, charging me for each bag!). Basically I want to know which method has the most likely chance of survival. I have the original box for the case, styrofoam and plastic cover and everything.

Of course I'll follow standard procedure, remove all the cards, drives, and RAM and carry them with me on a carry-on bag. I don't really want to remove the CPU fan/CPU though, since I don't have the original packaging for that. This should be relatively safe, right?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I'd also remove the HSF for safety, just make sure you have some good thermal paste for re-install. I'd probably leave the memory in the MB, but if you still have the original carriers, its a toss-up. Now that there's nothing the gorillas can hurt too much, might as well fly it. Of course, fedx/ups does offer better insurance....

I have done both. They both arrived safely. Do check cables and reseat things though.
If the case is in the original box, things are pretty secure. I would probably pick flying it as baggage. At least you know when it gets there. You might spray paint the case box to disguise the contents and reduce the chance of it getting ripped off.

TRENDING THREADS