Sign in with
Your question

Western digital 250GB IDE hard drive clicking

Last response: in Storage
June 30, 2010 2:18:57 PM

Hello,
my western digital 250GB drive pcb board is damage so i swap it with a western digital 320GB hard drive pcb board but now when it power up it's clicking and then it slows down so tel me is it the fault of the pcb board because it's not compatable
a c 82 G Storage
June 30, 2010 2:33:05 PM

If possible, make a copy of all data on the 250GB drive and then use the 320GB drive with the correct PCB. You can't swap a PCB from a different size drive and expect it to work properly. If nothing else, the firmware should be different.
m
l
June 30, 2010 3:24:27 PM

well right now i my 250 drive is not coming on because of the pcb is damage so is there a nother way of getting the data of of the platter i really dont want to loose my music i have like almost 300000 songs on that drive
m
l
Related resources
a c 82 G Storage
June 30, 2010 4:58:05 PM

Then buy a used but working (at least the PCB) identical drive or have a recovery place get the data off the disk. I don't understand why you never backed up the drive if it contained valuable info.
m
l
a c 103 G Storage
June 30, 2010 6:05:28 PM

Well, the first mistake was to use a board from the wrong drive, so it's obvous what the solution is.

Second, you may have killed the drive by using the wrong board. Clicking and hard drives is like rock stars and drugs, usually not very good together.
m
l
July 8, 2010 7:08:30 PM

someone was telling me once the drive got power even if it's clicking there is a program that can recover the data just that it takes a long time is this true is it posible let me know please
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
July 8, 2010 7:35:04 PM

ydna said:
someone was telling me once the drive got power even if it's clicking there is a program that can recover the data just that it takes a long time is this true is it posible let me know please
I really doubt that's possible if you can't detect the drive properly and/or if you don't have the tools to do it. Ultimately clicking probably will make the drive useless. If you really care about the data, I strongly suggest you send the drive to a recovery place before causing more damage. The only other solution is to find an identical hard disk and use its controller. That will work only if your previous attempts to access the drive haven't damaged it.
m
l
July 9, 2010 1:53:55 PM

the recovery center ir very expencive isn't it do u have an idia on how much it would cost or can u recomend one that is not so expencive help please
m
l
a c 103 G Storage
July 9, 2010 1:57:32 PM

Any data recovery can be expensive depending on what they find the issue is. If replacing the board worked, you are set. Otherwise I doubt anyone will be able to tell you how much it is to recover without looking at the drive. But it's normaly in the thousands of dollars not hundreds due to the amount of equipment needed and the time it takes.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
July 9, 2010 2:48:57 PM

It may not cost thousands, but it will be expensive. I can't recommend one since I never had to use them. I always keep two copies of important files on external hard disks. None of my customers ever had to use one either. It always is less expensive to backup to external disk drives, DVDs, etc.
m
l
a c 103 G Storage
July 9, 2010 4:23:51 PM

GhislainG said:
It may not cost thousands, but it will be expensive. I can't recommend one since I never had to use them. I always keep two copies of important files on external hard disks. None of my customers ever had to use one either. It always is less expensive to backup to external disk drives, DVDs, etc.

If they need to open the drives and get the data off the platters, it will be about the price of a used car. Maybe not a Lexus, but for sure a Ford :) 
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
July 9, 2010 4:49:29 PM

As far as I'm concerned, using the correct PCB should allow access to the drive's contents. I'd sure try that before anything else.

It's too bad so many people buy systems, but care about their data only when it's too late.
m
l
!