Help! - Weird letters in BIOS and Windows won't load!

pheelin

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I don't really know how to search for this issue so I'm sorry if it is a repost but I didn't see anything about what I am experiencing.

Yesterday my computer froze randomly when I was playing a video game so I restarted my system thinking nothing of it. When the BIOS loaded the left side of the screen showed some verticle lines (about 5 or 6 of them), I thought that was strange, then the next screen is where it shows detecting my drives and shows what it is loading. This time the left side of the screen had jumbled letters everywhere, it almost looked like the left side of my screen was either turning into a Matrix computer or stroking... The right side of my computer looked normal, letters and numbers where in their normal spots but the left side is illegible. It still loads as if it is going to boot normally except for the weird graphics, then it goes to the "loading windows" screen and everything looks perfectly normal, no lines on the screen no jumbled letters or anything so I was thinking ok maybe it was some freakish error. Right when it is about to load windows and give you the "Welcome" screen, the screen just stays black and wont load, doesn't reboot or anything just hangs there.

I reboot again and it gives me the windows failed to load properly last time pick safe mode, safe mode with networking etc.

All versions of safe mode work, everything on my harddrive is still intact, when I load safe mode with networking I can access the internet but it just won't load normally...

All of my components seem to be fine but they obviously aren't... I'm thinking the BIOS is screwed but I don't have a floppy to flash the bios, and the windows bios flash program that Gigabyte has wont work, it errors on the first .dll it tries to load...

Any help would be awesome!!!

SPECS:

Gigabyte mobo - GA-N680SLI-DQ6 (rev. 1.0)
processor - core 2 duo E6600
RAM - G.Skill DDR2 PC2-8000 (6 gigs)
HD - WD Raptor 150gig 10k rpm
Windows Vista 64 bit

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
When loading in safe mode windoze does not,AFAIK,load your drivers it uses windoze drivers,very basic,could be your drivers are corrupted,if it were winxp I would just reinstall right over from windoze,do not know about vista tho..:)

If your video card was working properly, you wouldn't get garbage on the screen at POST or when entering the BIOS. If the BIOS was bad, the system definitely would not POST.

You could reload the drivers for your video card, but that won't fix the card. Is the fan on your video card working? Do you get garbage on the screen when the system has been powered off for several minutes?

waggy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I have exactly the same problem. I got it straight after playing Robokill through miniclip.
I have reinstalled the graphics driver to no avail.
I tried playing the game on a second computer and the same thing happened. I corrected the problem by running system restore.
Unfortunately I have no restore points on the first computer because I udated from a previous version of xp and forgot to create one.
Also I used a system restore point to fix the second computer yesterday but this morning it had the problem again.
System restore worked again.
I don't see how the graphics cards can be defective if system restore works.
I don't think it is anything to do with the bios because I have loaded the optimised defaults and it is the same.
I don't know that much about computers but it seems to have something to do with the windows not loading all the correct files on start up.

waggy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

I have exactly the same problem. I got it straight after playing Robokill through miniclip.
I have reinstalled the graphics driver to no avail.
I tried playing the game on a second computer and the same thing happened. I corrected the problem by running system restore.
Unfortunately I have no restore points on the first computer because I udated from a previous version of xp and forgot to create one.
Also I used a system restore point to fix the second computer yesterday but this morning it had the problem again.
System restore worked again.
I don't see how the graphics cards can be defective if system restore works.
I don't think it is anything to do with the bios because I have loaded the optimised defaults and it is the same.
I don't know that much about computers but it seems to have something to do with the windows not loading all the correct files on start up.

bilbat

Splendid
Might try the system file checker - open a command window & type "sfc /scannow" (no quotes) - win will determine if all you winfiles are 'official versions', replace any that aren't...

Is, 'Robokill', by chance, multiplayer via net?

waggy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I would try that but i have done a fresh install. Thankyou anyway.

Robokill is a single player platform game. Can't understand how it wrecked my pc. Thousands of people play it and I cannot find anyone who has had such a problem on the inrternet.