Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DirecTV TIVO

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 3:12:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

I currently have DirecTV with the Total Choice Premier package and I'm thing
about adding TIVO.

Couple of questions....

1. The DVR TIVO, is this a all in one device (satellite receiver and TIVO
recorder) or do you still need your DirecTV receiver in line?

2. Dual tuner recording.. my dish has the 3 LNB's. But the problem would
be getting second line to the receiver. How many of you have used the dual
recording option?

3. Quality....is it true to get the biggest HD TIVO recorder you can afford
to allow the best playback quality.

Thanks!

More about : directv tivo

Anonymous
June 5, 2004 8:26:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

Go here for all answers:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:12:14 -0400, "Jim Becker"
<jbecker31nospam@cox.net> wrote:

>I currently have DirecTV with the Total Choice Premier package and I'm thing
>about adding TIVO.
>
>Couple of questions....
>
>1. The DVR TIVO, is this a all in one device (satellite receiver and TIVO
>recorder) or do you still need your DirecTV receiver in line?
>
>2. Dual tuner recording.. my dish has the 3 LNB's. But the problem would
>be getting second line to the receiver. How many of you have used the dual
>recording option?
>
>3. Quality....is it true to get the biggest HD TIVO recorder you can afford
>to allow the best playback quality.
>
>Thanks!
>
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 4:38:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

"Jim Becker" <jbecker31nospam@cox.net> wrote in
news:hSawc.5346$ye1.3028@lakeread05:

> I currently have DirecTV with the Total Choice Premier package and I'm
> thing about adding TIVO.
>
> Couple of questions....
>
> 1. The DVR TIVO, is this a all in one device (satellite receiver and
> TIVO recorder) or do you still need your DirecTV receiver in line?
>
The DVR has the receiver, DVR and TIVO system in one box. This new box
would replace your existing receiver.



> 2. Dual tuner recording.. my dish has the 3 LNB's. But the problem
> would be getting second line to the receiver. How many of you have
> used the dual recording option?

We use it. IMHO a necessity. You can record on one channel and watch a
program on another. This solves the problem of what to do when 2
programs you like are on at the same time on different channels. Saved
us from deciding whether or not to watch CSI this season....although we
do have a few episodes to catch up on before we got TiVo

>
> 3. Quality....is it true to get the biggest HD TIVO recorder you can
> afford to allow the best playback quality.
>

I think we have the 35 hour one. It works fine. Looks no different than
live tv.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 4:38:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

Thanks John!

The 'watching one channel while recording another' option has me concerned.
Although our dish can handle it, we're using the installed cable in the
house from when it was built. My system is a 3 room setup. All I really
want to do at this point is to be able to watch one program while recording
another. Is that possible with a one satellite feed into the DVR?


"John L. Wilkerson Jr." <johnwilkers5usenet3@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:Xns94FF5884ADAEFjohnwilkers5usenet3@206.141.193.32...
> "Jim Becker" <jbecker31nospam@cox.net> wrote in
> news:hSawc.5346$ye1.3028@lakeread05:
>
> > I currently have DirecTV with the Total Choice Premier package and I'm
> > thing about adding TIVO.
> >
> > Couple of questions....
> >
> > 1. The DVR TIVO, is this a all in one device (satellite receiver and
> > TIVO recorder) or do you still need your DirecTV receiver in line?
> >
> The DVR has the receiver, DVR and TIVO system in one box. This new box
> would replace your existing receiver.
>
>
>
> > 2. Dual tuner recording.. my dish has the 3 LNB's. But the problem
> > would be getting second line to the receiver. How many of you have
> > used the dual recording option?
>
> We use it. IMHO a necessity. You can record on one channel and watch a
> program on another. This solves the problem of what to do when 2
> programs you like are on at the same time on different channels. Saved
> us from deciding whether or not to watch CSI this season....although we
> do have a few episodes to catch up on before we got TiVo
>
> >
> > 3. Quality....is it true to get the biggest HD TIVO recorder you can
> > afford to allow the best playback quality.
> >
>
> I think we have the 35 hour one. It works fine. Looks no different than
> live tv.
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 4:38:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

You could watch a previously recorded program while watching another.

You would not be able to record a show on one channel and watch a show on
another. This requires two seperate feeds.


"Jim Becker" <jbecker31nospam@cox.net> wrote in message
news:Krjwc.12363$W01.11963@okepread01...
> Thanks John!
>
> The 'watching one channel while recording another' option has me
concerned.
> Although our dish can handle it, we're using the installed cable in the
> house from when it was built. My system is a 3 room setup. All I really
> want to do at this point is to be able to watch one program while
recording
> another. Is that possible with a one satellite feed into the DVR?
>
>
> "John L. Wilkerson Jr." <johnwilkers5usenet3@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message
> news:Xns94FF5884ADAEFjohnwilkers5usenet3@206.141.193.32...
> > "Jim Becker" <jbecker31nospam@cox.net> wrote in
> > news:hSawc.5346$ye1.3028@lakeread05:
> >
> > > I currently have DirecTV with the Total Choice Premier package and I'm
> > > thing about adding TIVO.
> > >
> > > Couple of questions....
> > >
> > > 1. The DVR TIVO, is this a all in one device (satellite receiver and
> > > TIVO recorder) or do you still need your DirecTV receiver in line?
> > >
> > The DVR has the receiver, DVR and TIVO system in one box. This new box
> > would replace your existing receiver.
> >
> >
> >
> > > 2. Dual tuner recording.. my dish has the 3 LNB's. But the problem
> > > would be getting second line to the receiver. How many of you have
> > > used the dual recording option?
> >
> > We use it. IMHO a necessity. You can record on one channel and watch a
> > program on another. This solves the problem of what to do when 2
> > programs you like are on at the same time on different channels. Saved
> > us from deciding whether or not to watch CSI this season....although we
> > do have a few episodes to catch up on before we got TiVo
> >
> > >
> > > 3. Quality....is it true to get the biggest HD TIVO recorder you can
> > > afford to allow the best playback quality.
> > >
> >
> > I think we have the 35 hour one. It works fine. Looks no different
than
> > live tv.
>
>
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 6:09:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

and I got my answer by calling the folks at DirecTV. In order to watch and
record at the same time, you do need two inputs. Although I could do it,
for me it's too much of a pain in the butt. I'm currently using the house
coaxial cable and the cable comes from a plate on the wall back behind the
TV. The folks at DirecTV mentioned a multi-switch and I've already been
through that and it didn't work well with my set up. So until technology
figures out a way to let you manipulate one signal, I'll be satisfied
watching what I have.

Thanks!



"Jim Becker" <jbecker31nospam@cox.net> wrote in message
news:Krjwc.12363$W01.11963@okepread01...
> Thanks John!
>
> The 'watching one channel while recording another' option has me
concerned.
> Although our dish can handle it, we're using the installed cable in the
> house from when it was built. My system is a 3 room setup. All I really
> want to do at this point is to be able to watch one program while
recording
> another. Is that possible with a one satellite feed into the DVR?
>
>
> "John L. Wilkerson Jr." <johnwilkers5usenet3@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message
> news:Xns94FF5884ADAEFjohnwilkers5usenet3@206.141.193.32...
> > "Jim Becker" <jbecker31nospam@cox.net> wrote in
> > news:hSawc.5346$ye1.3028@lakeread05:
> >
> > > I currently have DirecTV with the Total Choice Premier package and I'm
> > > thing about adding TIVO.
> > >
> > > Couple of questions....
> > >
> > > 1. The DVR TIVO, is this a all in one device (satellite receiver and
> > > TIVO recorder) or do you still need your DirecTV receiver in line?
> > >
> > The DVR has the receiver, DVR and TIVO system in one box. This new box
> > would replace your existing receiver.
> >
> >
> >
> > > 2. Dual tuner recording.. my dish has the 3 LNB's. But the problem
> > > would be getting second line to the receiver. How many of you have
> > > used the dual recording option?
> >
> > We use it. IMHO a necessity. You can record on one channel and watch a
> > program on another. This solves the problem of what to do when 2
> > programs you like are on at the same time on different channels. Saved
> > us from deciding whether or not to watch CSI this season....although we
> > do have a few episodes to catch up on before we got TiVo
> >
> > >
> > > 3. Quality....is it true to get the biggest HD TIVO recorder you can
> > > afford to allow the best playback quality.
> > >
> >
> > I think we have the 35 hour one. It works fine. Looks no different
than
> > live tv.
>
>
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 10:30:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

Jim Becker the top poster wrote:
>
> and I got my answer by calling the folks at DirecTV.

Funny how easy that is, ain't it?


> In order to watch and
> record at the same time, you do need two inputs. Although I could do it,
> for me it's too much of a pain in the butt. I'm currently using the house
> coaxial cable and the cable comes from a plate on the wall back behind the
> TV.

That's the drill.
Both DTV and DISH offer "free installation", providing that the install
is easy. (Drill a hole or two)
If it gets difficult for the installer, then it costs more.
"Custom" installs are gonna cost!
NOBODY is gonna fish wires through the walls for free.


> The folks at DirecTV mentioned a multi-switch and I've already been
> through that and it didn't work well with my set up.

Consider DISH, which is even worse!
DTV is FAR superior then DISH.

> So until technology
> figures out a way to let you manipulate one signal, I'll be satisfied
> watching what I have.


That's why I prefer CABLE! :>
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 10:30:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

No Sunday Ticket on cable...



"KF/AKA AH#49" <AH#49@your.net> wrote in message
news:40C21217.DA584F9@your.net...
> Jim Becker the top poster wrote:
> >
> > and I got my answer by calling the folks at DirecTV.
>
> Funny how easy that is, ain't it?
>
>
> > In order to watch and
> > record at the same time, you do need two inputs. Although I could do
it,
> > for me it's too much of a pain in the butt. I'm currently using the
house
> > coaxial cable and the cable comes from a plate on the wall back behind
the
> > TV.
>
> That's the drill.
> Both DTV and DISH offer "free installation", providing that the install
> is easy. (Drill a hole or two)
> If it gets difficult for the installer, then it costs more.
> "Custom" installs are gonna cost!
> NOBODY is gonna fish wires through the walls for free.
>
>
> > The folks at DirecTV mentioned a multi-switch and I've already been
> > through that and it didn't work well with my set up.
>
> Consider DISH, which is even worse!
> DTV is FAR superior then DISH.
>
> > So until technology
> > figures out a way to let you manipulate one signal, I'll be satisfied
> > watching what I have.
>
>
> That's why I prefer CABLE! :>
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 11:57:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

Jim Becker the top poster wrote:
>
> No Sunday Ticket on cable...

Granted.
But no consistent, high speed access for computers via Sat! :>
So in other words, if you want TV sports and TIVO that bad, then pay the
price for the installation!
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 1:39:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

"Jim Becker" <jbecker31nospam@cox.net> wrote in
news:Krjwc.12363$W01.11963@okepread01:

> Thanks John!
>
> The 'watching one channel while recording another' option has me
> concerned. Although our dish can handle it, we're using the installed
> cable in the house from when it was built. My system is a 3 room
> setup. All I really want to do at this point is to be able to watch
> one program while recording another. Is that possible with a one
> satellite feed into the DVR?
>
>
Should be. All we have is one cable leading into our box. We also use the
pre-existing cable runs from way back when when this house had cable. All
you need is one cable, the receivers can pull different channels, just like
any other TV antenna.
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 1:43:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

"Jim Becker" <jbecker31nospam@cox.net> wrote in
news:Krjwc.12363$W01.11963@okepread01:

> Thanks John!
>
> The 'watching one channel while recording another' option has me
> concerned. Although our dish can handle it, we're using the installed
> cable in the house from when it was built. My system is a 3 room
> setup. All I really want to do at this point is to be able to watch
> one program while recording another. Is that possible with a one
> satellite feed into the DVR?
>
>

This info I posted is incorrect now:
[Should be. All we have is one cable leading into our box. We also use
the pre-existing cable runs from way back when when this house had
cable. All you need is one cable, the receivers can pull different
channels, just like any other TV antenna.]


Well.... evidently an article posted before mine here made me into a liar :
( I could swear we only have a single cable running into our DVR...
however I just went and looked, and we do in fact have two inputs.....

Sorry.
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 1:43:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

You can operate a DirecTV/DVR (TiVo) with just a single input
line;however the "dual tuner" will be inoperable.In the system
information screen it will say 'SYSTEM INFORMATION' / under "Features"
| 2 TUNERS : Not Enabled.
I operated mine that way for 6 months before adding the second input
line.Of course,all you will be able to do is watch an archived
(recorded) program if the recorder is in use,or watch the currently
recorded program.Nothing precludes the use of only using a single tuner.
Later at YOUR leisure,you can add the second line (or not) if you wish.
June 9, 2004 1:08:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

In article <10cbjipb3mt9b52@corp.supernews.com>, "Jibefan" <johnc@nova1.net> wrote:
>You could watch a previously recorded program while watching another.
>
>You would not be able to record a show on one channel and watch a show on
>another. This requires two seperate feeds.
>

With the two tuners, you can record 2 seperate shows at the same time and
watch the 3rd prerecorded show!!!!


>
>"Jim Becker" <jbecker31nospam@cox.net> wrote in message
>news:Krjwc.12363$W01.11963@okepread01...
>> Thanks John!
>>
>> The 'watching one channel while recording another' option has me
>concerned.
>> Although our dish can handle it, we're using the installed cable in the
>> house from when it was built. My system is a 3 room setup. All I really
>> want to do at this point is to be able to watch one program while
>recording
>> another. Is that possible with a one satellite feed into the DVR?
>>
>>
>> "John L. Wilkerson Jr." <johnwilkers5usenet3@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
>message
>> news:Xns94FF5884ADAEFjohnwilkers5usenet3@206.141.193.32...
>> > "Jim Becker" <jbecker31nospam@cox.net> wrote in
>> > news:hSawc.5346$ye1.3028@lakeread05:
>> >
>> > > I currently have DirecTV with the Total Choice Premier package and I'm
>> > > thing about adding TIVO.
>> > >
>> > > Couple of questions....
>> > >
>> > > 1. The DVR TIVO, is this a all in one device (satellite receiver and
>> > > TIVO recorder) or do you still need your DirecTV receiver in line?
>> > >
>> > The DVR has the receiver, DVR and TIVO system in one box. This new box
>> > would replace your existing receiver.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > > 2. Dual tuner recording.. my dish has the 3 LNB's. But the problem
>> > > would be getting second line to the receiver. How many of you have
>> > > used the dual recording option?
>> >
>> > We use it. IMHO a necessity. You can record on one channel and watch a
>> > program on another. This solves the problem of what to do when 2
>> > programs you like are on at the same time on different channels. Saved
>> > us from deciding whether or not to watch CSI this season....although we
>> > do have a few episodes to catch up on before we got TiVo
>> >
>> > >
>> > > 3. Quality....is it true to get the biggest HD TIVO recorder you can
>> > > afford to allow the best playback quality.
>> > >
>> >
>> > I think we have the 35 hour one. It works fine. Looks no different
>than
>> > live tv.
>>
>>
>
>
June 16, 2004 6:51:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 16:04:58 -0700, SAC441@webtv.net (SAC 441) wrote:

>You can operate a DirecTV/DVR (TiVo) with just a single input
>line;however the "dual tuner" will be inoperable.In the system
>information screen it will say 'SYSTEM INFORMATION' / under "Features"
>| 2 TUNERS : Not Enabled.
> I operated mine that way for 6 months before adding the second input
>line.Of course,all you will be able to do is watch an archived
>(recorded) program if the recorder is in use,or watch the currently
>recorded program.Nothing precludes the use of only using a single tuner.
>Later at YOUR leisure,you can add the second line (or not) if you wish.

Question. Since you waited 6 months to hook up the 2nd input... were
you paying for the 2nd receiver built into the TiVo? I'm wondering
the minute you activate the TiVo through DirectTV... how will they
know whether you have one or two inputs configured? My thinking is
that as far as DirecTV is concerned... you have a two receiver unit
whether or not you have one or two cable inputs connected.
June 16, 2004 6:51:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

>On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:51:49 GMT, Greg <v65rider@freeshell.org> wrote:
>
>Question. Since you waited 6 months to hook up the 2nd input... were
>you paying for the 2nd receiver built into the TiVo? I'm wondering
>the minute you activate the TiVo through DirectTV... how will they
>know whether you have one or two inputs configured? My thinking is
>that as far as DirecTV is concerned... you have a two receiver unit
>whether or not you have one or two cable inputs connected.

the unit only counts as ONE receiver, not two! (one card, one charge)
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 6:51:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

DirecTV does not care how many tuners you have activated in the DirecTV/
DVR.It is simply part of the functionality of the receiver,no extra cost
is incurred.My understanding why the 2nd tuner is inoperable until you
go into the operations menu and reconfigure your system to 2-tuner
operation is that it will confuse the operation of the
multi-switch.Having both inputs active when only 1 input is available
will cause switching errors.That is why it is important to "instruct"
the receiver that you only have one signal line in operation until said
time that you actually need the second input.
June 17, 2004 5:52:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:21:21 -0400, nitram <nospam@spam.bot> wrote:

>>On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:51:49 GMT, Greg <v65rider@freeshell.org> wrote:
>>
>>Question. Since you waited 6 months to hook up the 2nd input... were
>>you paying for the 2nd receiver built into the TiVo? I'm wondering
>>the minute you activate the TiVo through DirectTV... how will they
>>know whether you have one or two inputs configured? My thinking is
>>that as far as DirecTV is concerned... you have a two receiver unit
>>whether or not you have one or two cable inputs connected.
>
>the unit only counts as ONE receiver, not two! (one card, one charge)

Maybe we're talking about two different models/generations of TiVos...
but the ones today have two coaxial satellite inputs (one to view and
one to record). DirecTV considers this a two receiver unit and will
charge the customer for a two receiver unit. This is why I was
wondering if connecting only one coax input cable still cost the
customer a two receiver charge. It doesn't matter that there is only
one access card.

FYI, MRRs (multiple room receivers) also use one access card and is
considered a two receiver config since a separate coax is routed to a
remote RF eye to a second TV for independent channel control. MRRs
also have two coaxial satellite inputs.
June 17, 2004 5:52:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:52:14 GMT, Greg <v65rider@freeshell.org> wrote:
>
>Maybe we're talking about two different models/generations of TiVos...
>but the ones today have two coaxial satellite inputs (one to view and
>one to record). DirecTV considers this a two receiver unit and will
>charge the customer for a two receiver unit. This is why I was
>wondering if connecting only one coax input cable still cost the
>customer a two receiver charge. It doesn't matter that there is only
>one access card.
>
>FYI, MRRs (multiple room receivers) also use one access card and is
>considered a two receiver config since a separate coax is routed to a
>remote RF eye to a second TV for independent channel control. MRRs
>also have two coaxial satellite inputs.

I've had DirectTV Tivo (dual input) for over a year now. I've just
checked my bill, and i'm NOT getting charged for an extra receiver!
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 5:52:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

Greg spewed forth with this commentary:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:21:21 -0400, nitram <nospam@spam.bot> wrote:
>
>>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:51:49 GMT, Greg <v65rider@freeshell.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Question. Since you waited 6 months to hook up the 2nd input...
>>> were you paying for the 2nd receiver built into the TiVo? I'm
>>> wondering the minute you activate the TiVo through DirectTV... how
>>> will they know whether you have one or two inputs configured? My
>>> thinking is that as far as DirecTV is concerned... you have a two
>>> receiver unit whether or not you have one or two cable inputs
>>> connected.
>>
>> the unit only counts as ONE receiver, not two! (one card, one
>> charge)
>
> Maybe we're talking about two different models/generations of TiVos...
> but the ones today have two coaxial satellite inputs (one to view and
> one to record). DirecTV considers this a two receiver unit and will
> charge the customer for a two receiver unit. This is why I was
> wondering if connecting only one coax input cable still cost the
> customer a two receiver charge. It doesn't matter that there is only
> one access card.

Absolutely NOT! DTV bills for the Tivo service once. It is one receiver
with a dual tuner. I'm sorry, but you're wrong here. The charge is for the
Tivo service, not the dual tuner.


> FYI, MRRs (multiple room receivers) also use one access card and is
> considered a two receiver config since a separate coax is routed to a
> remote RF eye to a second TV for independent channel control. MRRs
> also have two coaxial satellite inputs.

MRR is completely different, IIRC it is only a DishNet receiver that has
dual outputs.

--
RegNitto - USWest SC Ladder
June 17, 2004 5:55:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:25:24 -0700, SAC441@webtv.net (SAC 441) wrote:

>DirecTV does not care how many tuners you have activated in the DirecTV/
>DVR.It is simply part of the functionality of the receiver,no extra cost
>is incurred.

Hmmm, I seem to recall folks being told that upon activation of a TiVo
that they should be aware that it is a two receiver unit (whether
they're both used or not) and a second charge will apply.

> My understanding why the 2nd tuner is inoperable until you
>go into the operations menu and reconfigure your system to 2-tuner
>operation is that it will confuse the operation of the
>multi-switch.

True, one has to instruct the TiVo to "see" to inputs. Don't know
about confusing the operation of the multi-switch.

> Having both inputs active when only 1 input is available
>will cause switching errors.That is why it is important to "instruct"
>the receiver that you only have one signal line in operation until said
>time that you actually need the second input.

Thanks.
June 19, 2004 10:09:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:09:05 -0700, "RegNitto"
<regnittoSTOP@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>Absolutely NOT! DTV bills for the Tivo service once. It is one receiver
>with a dual tuner. I'm sorry, but you're wrong here. The charge is for the
>Tivo service, not the dual tuner.

OK, so the extra $5/month is for the "service" and not an extra
"receiver". Either way... DTV gets their money. :-)

>> FYI, MRRs (multiple room receivers) also use one access card and is
>> considered a two receiver config since a separate coax is routed to a
>> remote RF eye to a second TV for independent channel control. MRRs
>> also have two coaxial satellite inputs.

>MRR is completely different, IIRC it is only a DishNet receiver that has
>dual outputs.

DTV offers the model Philips DSR660 which has two TV outs...
!