Sign in with
Your question

Trade 4850 for 9800gtx+ ?

Last response: in Systems
January 3, 2009 1:40:07 AM

Hi, I made a topic a few days ago concerning the low fps I was seeing while playing WoW with my Visiontek 4850. I compared settings/setups and fps with 2 friends both who had lower end rigs and they saw better fps in packed areas.

To go a little more into detail... fps is fine for awhile(80 fps) then suddenly drops to 13+ in clustered areas.
In Dalaran I lag very bad.. also spinning the camera around causes small lockups randomly

I am to the point where I have had enough with ati cards(been purchasing them for yrs) ..
I have tried many things to resolve this issue and have also been on other forums.
My question to you guys is do you think I should exchange the 4850 for a 9800gtx+ while I still can?

I have googled both cards and it seems WoW runs much smoother for people with the 9800 series over the 4800 series.

Other games seem to run fine, cod4, hellgate london , all except for WoW .. which I can't quite understand, I would expect a constant 60+fps with this card when I purchased it... anyways here is my setup:

AMD 9500 Quad-Core Phenom
650w OCZ PSU
3Gigs
500gb Western Digital
ECS MCP61PM-GM Nvidia chipset
Win Vista Premium 32bit
Visiontek 4850

More about : trade 4850 9800gtx

January 3, 2009 2:12:38 AM

LOL, you actually got Hellgate London running fine? On my Q6600/8800GTX it kept crashing to desktop and BSOD-ing until I gave up and uninstalled it. Worst investment of $70 in my life. I'd have been better off buying beer, pouring it down the toilet, and returning the empties for refund.

What kind of setups do your friends have? Your PC may be handicapped by that 500GB WD disk - I have 3 of those myself along with some newer WD drives and there's a huge speed difference.

Also, it may run out of physical RAM and start swapping on disk (virtual memory), which would totally kill performance.

Also, the Phenom 9500 is pretty weak. Yes it's a quad, nice, but if WoW only uses one or two cores then somebody with "just a dual-core" like E8500 will get better performance.

Give us the configs for your friends' PCs too. Then we can compare and maybe figure out if there's something in there that gives them a big advantage.

As far as the video cards are concerned, the HD 4850 and the 9800GTX+ are trading blows. Each wins some benchmarks. If anything, I'd say the HD 4850 wins more, at least in the reviews I've read. Even if WoW is optimized for nVidia, it wouldn't explain a BIG difference.
January 3, 2009 2:18:34 AM

Sounds to me like under performing cpu or a driver issue. Have you uninstalled any older gpu drivers? Or do you have any programs running in the backround taking up the cpu?
Related resources
January 3, 2009 2:27:23 AM

How about the Internet connection? That could be a bottleneck. If the server needs to send more data in the crowded areas and your connection can't handle it, then you'd get slowdowns.
January 3, 2009 2:30:25 AM

WoW stores alot of data on the HD, so fast and clean will win out. My old system was doing poorly for the gear I had, turned out the HD was almost 100% fragmented. De-frag and off she went.
January 3, 2009 2:31:58 AM

LMAO, yeah there's Hellgate for ya... when I wanted to play it I couldn't.. and now that they are shutting down servers it was fine.

Anyways 1 of my buddy's pc was a:
AMD 4200+
2gigs
xp pro
450psu
mobo?
19" monitor

others is:

e2200
8600gts
2gigs
xp pro
400psu
24" monitor

Now i run ona 17" old school sharp, still waiting to upgrade... With those setups compared to mine i find it hard to believe that in packed areas they have better fps than me.
I doubt my phenom is bottleknecking it... cmon its WoW

January 3, 2009 3:02:10 AM

Really weird. Yeah, your CPU/GPU/RAM are all better than what those guys have.

Try defragmenting.

Try playing under XP Pro just like your friends.

Are you comparing fairly, at the same resolution? Can you get all three PCs to play at 1280x1024 or some other resolution supported by all 3, and then compare?

Have you checked for spyware?

Try shutting down Windows services that aren't really needed.

If nothing else solves it, do replace the video card with a 9800GTX+. Do a clean install of Vista or XP so you don't get driver mixups. If you do that please post back and let us know. I'm really curious what's going on.

January 3, 2009 3:24:52 AM

aevm said:
Really weird. Yeah, your CPU/GPU/RAM are all better than what those guys have.

Try defragmenting.

Try playing under XP Pro just like your friends.

Are you comparing fairly, at the same resolution? Can you get all three PCs to play at 1280x1024 or some other resolution supported by all 3, and then compare?

Have you checked for spyware?

Try shutting down Windows services that aren't really needed.

If nothing else solves it, do replace the video card with a 9800GTX+. Do a clean install of Vista or XP so you don't get driver mixups. If you do that please post back and let us know. I'm really curious what's going on.

I just did a fresh install of vista, so frag is not needed. As for the resolutions the friend with the 19" runs the same 1280x1024 as me while the friend with the 24" obv doesn't. I am going to mess around with the catalyst tonight, if nothing does it i will be replacing it for a 9800gtx+ like mentioned earlier... im also not a fan how the 4850 runs so loud and hot unless you use fan control. I will let you know if i pick up the card. Thanks for the help!
January 3, 2009 4:07:33 AM

internet connection.
January 3, 2009 4:53:44 AM

as aevm suggested, i would try running the game with XP rather than vista...i had vista ultimate 32 bit for a lil while and just wasnt worth the loss in gaming performance...
January 3, 2009 5:12:05 AM

ahslan said:
as aevm suggested, i would try running the game with XP rather than vista...i had vista ultimate 32 bit for a lil while and just wasnt worth the loss in gaming performance...

Do you think that's why I'm seeing such a decrease in performance ? I had a thread up about that wondering if vista could actually cause such a fps drop.. most people said no, but I was still undecided.

January 3, 2009 5:17:14 AM

well when i gave vista a try, i really tried hard to like it...but in the end, switching back to XP really made my newly built comp feel like, well, a newly built computer...that was my personal experience...i am aware of amount of ppl that have had no issues whatsoever with vista, and for that i am extremely jealous...
January 3, 2009 5:24:19 AM

Hmmm I know what you mean.. I notice my loads are much longer with Vista, I still haven't given xp a run with this new rig and I kind of don't want to because I just did a fresh install of Vista lol.. I wish there was a quick answer for this, soo much for bang for the buck..
January 3, 2009 5:31:34 AM

ya...i really couldnt bear to go through all the pain that i was going through, especially with the new rig...theres nothing more demoralizing than having a newly built rig not performing as desired...
January 3, 2009 5:31:45 AM

Was World of WarCraft initially optimised for Nvidia when it first came out? I know Blizzard has recently made a partnership with AMD and should start having better drivers for WOW.

I would not blame your performance on your video card. There could be so many other factors involved. You may want to see if you could get your friend to swap cards with you for a day or two and see if that makes a difference.

Besure to uninstall all of your ATI and Catalyst drivers before installing the GeForce Ones.

However I seriously doubt your videocard is the problem for your PC.

UNLESS of course you are going on long gaming runs on WOW and your video card overheats which the 4850s do sometimes with stock cooling. May want to turn up your fan speed thur Catalyst.
January 3, 2009 5:38:53 AM

Yeah for sure, now I'm in a pickle. I guess the last route Im going to take is try xp out with the card, if this fixes nothing it's either exchange for a 9800gtx+ or wait until they do something about it... which could take A LONG time seeing it's blizzard. Thanks guys.
January 3, 2009 5:41:58 AM

WOW is very CPU dependent. I still don't think it is your card.

But see if you could borrow your friends 9800GTX anyhow.
January 3, 2009 2:26:02 PM

I have an AMD 64x2 5000 BE OC'd to 2.9GHz with a Sapphire x1950GT (a substantially weaker card than what you got) and I have no problems with WOW.

Did you carefully compare your graphic settings in the game to those that your friend has?

Are the both of you running the game at the same resolution? Even if you have the same size monitor he may have the resolution setting set differently than yours.

My co-worker has a AMD 64x2 3800 with a Visiontek HD4850 and he has almost no problems with the game. He has the settings cranked just about to max but he had to lower the detail a little bit because in large battles and in the cities his frame rates would drop a bit.

January 3, 2009 7:21:53 PM

Rwayne, does your friend use Vista or XP?

January 4, 2009 4:33:27 AM

Your symptoms seem to point to either an internet connection problem or a memory problem. Check your ping/latency when the game slows down to see if that's your problem.

What's with the 3 gigs of ram? If your using ddr3, then nm but 3 seems like an odd pairing if it's ddr2.

Anyways, optimized for Nvidia or not, WOW will certainly not strain your 4850 and for the most part, I'd say it's better than a 9800gtx so I wouldn't switch the cards.
January 4, 2009 5:57:02 AM

aevm said:
Rwayne, does your friend use Vista or XP?

He uses Vista but I dunno if it is 32 or 64bit. But he is only using 3GB of DDR667 Ram.
January 4, 2009 4:01:38 PM

Yeah we did quite a bit of troubleshooting on the other thread as I recall.

You would have bad latency in game if it was an internet issue.

I have to wonder if you got a crippled card somehow.
January 4, 2009 7:55:42 PM

Proximon said:
Yeah we did quite a bit of troubleshooting on the other thread as I recall.

You would have bad latency in game if it was an internet issue.

I have to wonder if you got a crippled card somehow.

^ A lot of people are blaming blizzard for this... there are people on the forums with $500+ dollar cards and they get 20 fps in Wow but in other games they run wonders. Im starting to think it's them also, because I installed previous games I tried to play and they ran much smoother. Guess ill just keep this card, I mean... it's playable but the fps jumps are quite annoying.
January 4, 2009 8:20:59 PM

I have no such problems with my 4870. I get a consistent 60+ FPS in most places, at 1680x1050 with all settings maxxed out. I suppose it might drop down to 40 in raids or PVP, but I'm usually too busy to notice and there is no visual difference anyway.
January 4, 2009 10:15:34 PM

Proximon said:
I have no such problems with my 4870. I get a consistent 60+ FPS in most places, at 1680x1050 with all settings maxxed out. I suppose it might drop down to 40 in raids or PVP, but I'm usually too busy to notice and there is no visual difference anyway.

Lucky you ! Man, that's the performance I expected to see from this card on WoW especially.
You even run at a higher res than I do :??:  .. I run 1280x1024 on a 17" and it dips low..
This issue is a mystery, it seems like every few ppl I encounter in WoW have the same prob.. weird.
!