Enough power supply for the computer?

uniqueflame

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I have an Antec Sonata III EarthWatts 500W Case and I'm wondering if that's enough to power my PC (Not yet built yet, still missing the graphics card)

My computer specs are:
Case: Antec Sonata III 500 W
CPU: 2.83ghz Q9550 Intel Quad 2 Core
RAM: Kingston 4GB (2 X 2056) 1066Mhz
Motherboard: EP45-DS4P
Graphic Card: 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4870
Hard Disk Drive: Western Digital 750GB SATA

I want the room to be able to overclock my CPU if I wanted to and maybe (not absolutely necessary) to have a second HD 4870 to crossfire

I'll be playing games like Crysis, COD4, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and I won't be using them for video editing, etc.

"Assuming" I don't have enough watts to power my PC please provide (if you can) an alternative, like getting another PSU into the computer which I don't know if you can even do (but I doubt), or returning the Antec and getting another case (please suggest one) and power supply unit (please suggest brand and the amount of watts needed) I don't need to future proof it much.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
well that should be enough for a single 4870, but certainly not two. look for a quality 700-800watt PSU if you want crossfire. PC P&C and corsair are good brands. antec too.

That PSU calculator recommends the size of PSU for what you enter - not the amount of power the system will draw.

I ran your system specs (single socket/highend desktop/Q9550/90%/3.5Ghz 1.35v/4GB DDR2/HD4870/2 Sata HDD/DVD burner/1PCI card/1 PCI-e card/3 USBs/2 Fans/90% load/10% aging) and came up with 452watt PSU. 559watt PSU for 2x 4870 CF.

uniqueflame

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
That PSU calculator recommends the size of PSU for what you enter - not the amount of power the system will draw.

Thanks heaps, so 500 Watts will be enough? I'm just thinking I don't exactly want to play a game half way then have my PSU burn out, then have to make my dad take me like 30 minutes to get another PSU.

Oh and also, would a Antec Truepower 850Watts fit into an Antec SonataIII? and are all PSU's the same size?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Do we intend to do some minor arc-welding? Talk about overkill... Remember that a PSU runs at its best effeciency at about 80% usage, so for what you are planning the Earthwatts 500 is just right. Should you later decide to go CF, a 650 watt unit might be more appropriate. I'm not familiar with the Sonata case, but would suspect that most PSU's would fit unless it is really shallow and a really deep PSU has a problem with drive cages. (I've got a CM534, and a 1200W PCP&C wouldn't fit without moving my DVD's down a few slots for instance.) So no, they can (and do) vary in depth.

uniqueflame

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Thanks~~ oh just so you know, I only just got into assembling computer like... 2 days ago and I'm 14, don't expect me to know that much :D oh and, this forum is like the best, seriously no other forum answers my questions so fast

Yeah, people here first become addicted to hardware news, then they get curious about the forums and become addicted to the forums :). Anyway I would go with a good 700-800W PSU if you intend to run two 4870s in crossfire. Beware of cheap PSUs from the likes of Rosewill and Sunbeam as they often cannot sustain near their claimed output for very long. Get a good PSU from Antec, FSP, or Corsair. You way want to Google "PSU tiers" to learn more.

The 500W PSU in that antec case is enough for your build with one 4870. Considering that you may want to wait to get that PSU till you are going to get that second 4870, or you spot a really good deal on new egg ^_^

ayushp13

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008

hello unique flame...
for your system corsair 750tx for single 4870 or 850tx if you intend to crossfire will be ok.500 watts that you currently have will be insuffient.go for brands like corsair or antec quattro series...and you will be fine...
also 4870X2 crossfire peaks at ~270W (normal card half of that) and old Q6600 and new Q9650 are pretty much same at 80-85W peak draw. And we're at 400W peak draw with other parts.

Here are some practical 3DMark Vantage power consumption results using various CPUs with factory overclocked 4870X2 and measured from wall meaning real draw is result multiplied by 0.85
http://plaza.fi/muropaketti/artikkelit/prosessorit/intelin-nehalem-arkkitehtuuri-core-i7-920-266-ghz,4

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
-George Bernard Shaw

uniqueflame

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Pardon...? Sorry but do you mean that 500 watts will not be enough? Because I just finished installing everything and I'll be damn well annoyed if it isn't sufficient...

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

(sigh) Sorry for all of the confusion... Too many people use 'back of the envelope' calculations, based on their confused best guesses. Here's a link to one of the better calculators out there.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Run the numbers yourself, don't let the confusion upset you. But, yes, you'll be OK for your build.

uniqueflame

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009

Thanks heaps, right now I'm so happy, you know, I normally use my dads computer and although his an electronic fanatic his more into "efficiency, speed, day to day basis" type thing and when I try to play games on those computers... well just put it in a few words "Crash and burn"

and also @ megamanx00

I live in Australia I don't think there's an Australian Newegg or do they ship to Australia, also the inflation in Australia (aus dollar to us dollar is like .68 right now) so I it's a bit expensive if I do get anything from the US.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
From another Aussie, no Newegg does not do us. WWW.staticice.com.au is a good pricing engine, and depending on where you live MSI is a good mailorder house. Better if you have a store near by, you can save the shipping.

uniqueflame

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009

Thanks, I'll look into it, currently I'm buying my parts from MSY but they don't have any high-end graphics card in stock not even the 9800GTX+ (The one in Box Hill, the people there look like they haven't slept for days and want to bite my head off, they've probably been partying too much)

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
MSY... MSY... Sorry, typo got me. You should have seen the guys in the Syd. CBD shop a week out from the holidays. You didn't dare not know what you wanted.

uniqueflame

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I want to overclock my CPU to 3.5ghz~ nothing too spectacular, with the specs right there would I be able to overclock without needing those huge fans? something like the Ultra-120e

The 500watt power supply of the Antec Sonata III 500 should have enough power for your CPU AND video card overclocks.

What it might not have - is enough case cooling to keep CPU and GPU temps under control. That Sonata III with it's single fan is more about quiet than cool. A case with at least 2 fans (and room for more) is probably a good idea for a hot OC'd CPU and video card.
Maybe something like the Antec 300

You'll want a GOOD CPU cooler. One of the better 92mm coolers would get the job done. XIGMATEK HDT-SD964 or ZEROtherm BTF90 are good ones. A 120mm cooler would fit OK in a gaming case like the Antec 300.

You'd probably end up spending more adding a decent PSU for the 300 case so it's a trade off in cooling performance which might or might not limit the amount you can overclock the CPU.

uniqueflame

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Sigh... I really should have visited this forum before I actually bought my case... but I think I'll be fine with Sonata III, I don't think I'm that desperate to overclock I'm just worried my graphic card might overheat, and correct me if I'm wrong but
Sonata III is 16.8" (H) X 18.3" (D) X 8.1" (W)
and Antec 300 is 18" (H) X 18.3" (D) X 8.1" (W)

theres not exactly that much of a but I guess it might might some huge differences, alright I'm gonna put it out in a simpler matter

Would it be worth it to return the Sonata III, get an Antec 300 with like a 750Watt PSU (650 or whatever) - This method will require me to take everything installed out... *sigh*

OR.

Just keep it as it is and don't overclock

OR.

Try working my way around the "small space" issue, which I don't exactly know if it's possible

Thanks

uniqueflame

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Bahaha... I was a tad too late... my answer was already replied :D so, a 120mm front fan and a good 92mm fan for my CPU?

I'm an amateur at the entire computer thing but would I need a separate fan to cool down my graphic card or will it survive with 2 fans?

uniqueflame

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Ahh, thanks, anyone suggest any good 120mm front fans? Also MSY doesn't seem to sell XIGMATEK HDT-SD964 or ZEROtherm BTF90 so unless someone can inform me of an alternative i might have to order them

MSY parts are http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf (It's in Aus Dollars)
MSY doesn't seem to have too many fans... and they lack in cases in general... brands of PSU are appauling but... they're one of the best around where I live so I'll have to deal with whatever I got :D