Advice on Hard Drive Repair

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Data Recovery
  • Western Digital
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 30, 2010 11:02:58 PM

So my Western Digital 750 gb Black hard drive decided to quit a few days ago, more than likely because I was hauling it back from a LAN party. I sent it off to ESS data recovery and here's what they told me:

Medium Details (make / serial number) :
Western Digital /
Recovery Chance* : Excellent (85-100%)
Medium Failure Details :

* Disk Head Failure
* Rotational Scoring Present (slight)
* Signs of Physical Shock

Notes :

Evaluated Cost :
$1590.00 - 10% = $1431.00
(7-10 business days turnaround)

Unfortunately, 1400 is a wee bit out of my price range. Does anyone have any recommendations on cheaper companies to use? Possibly a company that would just repair it so I can get the data myself? The drive has about 200 - 250 gb of data.

Thanks for any help that is offered.

More about : advice hard drive repair

Best solution

a b G Storage
July 1, 2010 9:48:05 PM

I'm unsure of any affordable alternatives, but here is a link where perhaps you could DIY:

http://geekyprojects.com/storage/how-to-recover-data-fr...
a c 130 G Storage
July 1, 2010 9:56:12 PM

claec said:
So my Western Digital 750 gb Black hard drive decided to quit a few days ago, more than likely because I was hauling it back from a LAN party. I sent it off to ESS data recovery and here's what they told me:

Medium Details (make / serial number) :
Western Digital /
Recovery Chance* : Excellent (85-100%)
Medium Failure Details :

* Disk Head Failure
* Rotational Scoring Present (slight)
* Signs of Physical Shock

Notes :

Evaluated Cost :
$1590.00 - 10% = $1431.00
(7-10 business days turnaround)

Unfortunately, 1400 is a wee bit out of my price range. Does anyone have any recommendations on cheaper companies to use? Possibly a company that would just repair it so I can get the data myself? The drive has about 200 - 250 gb of data.

Thanks for any help that is offered.

Fixing a drive is expensive. You need a clean room and some pretty delicate tools. Uncle Lenny with a router in his garage can't do this :non:  The issue is that a company will almost never give you a quote without checking on the drive first, so you'd have to send it out to them, so it's hard to say what one will charge before they look at it.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 1, 2010 10:19:04 PM

this is why you backup your data correctly............
m
l
July 2, 2010 2:26:14 AM

Actually, that's a pretty good price, I usually see quotes over $2K... If the data is worth $1400, then pay it and move on, if not suck it up! As a computer tech, my email signature includes, "BACK UP YOUR DATA...Ask Me How!"... some lessons cost more than others...
m
l
July 9, 2010 1:22:32 AM

Best answer selected by claec.
m
l
July 9, 2010 1:23:34 AM

I checked out that geekyprojects site and one of their people does his best to repair drives or $99. I think I'll give a shot, not much to lose. After that, its time for some serious RAID and external backup...
m
l
!