Solved

Advice on Hard Drive Repair

So my Western Digital 750 gb Black hard drive decided to quit a few days ago, more than likely because I was hauling it back from a LAN party. I sent it off to ESS data recovery and here's what they told me:

Medium Details (make / serial number) :
Western Digital /
Recovery Chance* : Excellent (85-100%)
Medium Failure Details :

* Disk Head Failure
* Rotational Scoring Present (slight)
* Signs of Physical Shock

Notes :

Evaluated Cost :
$1590.00 - 10% = $1431.00
(7-10 business days turnaround)

Unfortunately, 1400 is a wee bit out of my price range. Does anyone have any recommendations on cheaper companies to use? Possibly a company that would just repair it so I can get the data myself? The drive has about 200 - 250 gb of data.

Thanks for any help that is offered.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about advice hard drive repair
  1. Best answer
    I'm unsure of any affordable alternatives, but here is a link where perhaps you could DIY:

http://geekyprojects.com/storage/how-to-recover-data-from-a-broken-hard-drive/
  2. claec said:
    So my Western Digital 750 gb Black hard drive decided to quit a few days ago, more than likely because I was hauling it back from a LAN party. I sent it off to ESS data recovery and here's what they told me:

Medium Details (make / serial number) :
    Western Digital /
    Recovery Chance* : Excellent (85-100%)
    Medium Failure Details :

* Disk Head Failure
    * Rotational Scoring Present (slight)
    * Signs of Physical Shock

Notes :

Evaluated Cost :
    $1590.00 - 10% = $1431.00
    (7-10 business days turnaround)

Unfortunately, 1400 is a wee bit out of my price range. Does anyone have any recommendations on cheaper companies to use? Possibly a company that would just repair it so I can get the data myself? The drive has about 200 - 250 gb of data.

Thanks for any help that is offered.

Fixing a drive is expensive. You need a clean room and some pretty delicate tools. Uncle Lenny with a router in his garage can't do this :non: The issue is that a company will almost never give you a quote without checking on the drive first, so you'd have to send it out to them, so it's hard to say what one will charge before they look at it.
  3. this is why you backup your data correctly............
  4. Actually, that's a pretty good price, I usually see quotes over $2K... If the data is worth $1400, then pay it and move on, if not suck it up! As a computer tech, my email signature includes, "BACK UP YOUR DATA...Ask Me How!"... some lessons cost more than others...
  5. Best answer selected by claec.
  6. I checked out that geekyprojects site and one of their people does his best to repair drives or $99. I think I'll give a shot, not much to lose. After that, its time for some serious RAID and external backup...
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Data Recovery Western Digital Storage