Your question

I think I killed my CPU via static discharge

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Pentium
Last response: in CPUs
March 31, 2009 7:06:28 PM

Hey guys,

The other day I tried switching out my old Pentium 4 3.0 ghz with a new pentium dual core 2.4 ghz processor, both of which utilize the 775 socket. A friend of mine who builds computers said since both CPUs use the same type of socket that it should work, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I installed the new CPU, plugged everything back in, turned the power on and found that my computer wouldn't boot. The power would come on, the fans would run but the CD & DVD ROM drives weren't getting any power. After this I put the old CPU back in and everything booted up fine. I thought that I might of seated the new CPU incorrectly, so I decided to try it again. New CPU once again did not work. Reinstalled yet again the old CPU and...nothing. The computer turns on, the fans and CD/DVD ROM drives run (unlike with the new CPU) but now nothing boots. I don't get any kinda of beep sound from the CPU/Motherboard when it runs it's CPU test during start up either. The monitor is blank as though it's not even plugged in. I'm pretty sure it's not the video card though, it's seated properly into it's slot and everything.

I switched out the power supply, tried running off of one stick of RAM, switched the RAM between different slots, cleaned off the thermal grease from the CPU and Heatsink, unplugged and reconnected all the wires ect, tried starting the computer with just the bare essentials plugged in (sans hard drive, DVD player ect.), reset the CMOS by taking out the battery for 1 minute and still the computer will not boot. The CPU is definitely seated properly, there is nothing blocking it's connection to the socket or any excesive dust anywhere.

Can anyone tell me weither or not the problem is my CPU? I'm trying to find a definite answer before I dish out $60 or so for a new one. Would rather not waste my money if the problems turns out to be my motherboard or something.

Thanks,
Eric

More about : killed cpu static discharge

March 31, 2009 7:15:33 PM

well just cause ur motherbaord is socket 775 doesnt mean it can take a pentium dual core. my dad has a motherbaord which can take at best a pentium 4 and is a 775

im not sure but perhapes u damaged the motherbaord by using the wrong CPU in it. only a guess as ive never put the wrong CPU in a motherbaord

what is the modle of ur motherbaor?
March 31, 2009 7:18:48 PM

Check the Motherboard manufactures website for BIOS updates…
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2009 7:19:54 PM

need motherboard model #
March 31, 2009 7:25:14 PM

it might need a bios update to recgonize the c2d, or the board may not support it. Check the manufactuter website.

Also check the c2d cpu in another computer that you know supports it to see if the cpu is functional.

If the old cpu isnt working any more i would guess mobo damage, shorts on the mobo, or something didnt get plugged back in or got plugged in incorectly (maybe the cpu 4/8pin power connector). Double check all of those and see if you can get the old cpu working again
March 31, 2009 7:26:07 PM

lol way too slow today
March 31, 2009 8:04:02 PM

I'm not trying to get the new CPU to work with my motherboard, I'm pretty sure it's not compatible. I just want my computer to work again.

Anyways, this is my motherboard-

Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 SiS 661FX Chipset 800MHz FSB DDR400 LGA775 Socket 775/T MicroATX Motherboard w/ On-Board Video, AGP 8x, LAN, SATA, RAID, Audio, USB 2.0

Features:
GA-8S661FXM-775 is a highly value-oriented P4 platform for the latest LGA775 Intel® Pentium® 4 processor with 800MHz FSB and Hyper-Threading Technology. Empowered by the latest SiS 661FX/964L chipsets, and Gigabyte's R&D expertise, GA-8S661FXM-775 delivers a new architecture to uplift the system performance. The new framework supports DDR 400, AGP 8X and Intel® Pentium® 4 platform, especially for the latest LGA 775 90nm process Pentium® 4 processor with Hyper-Threading Technology, while Hyper Streaming Engine technologies enhances the platform performance to extreme. The integrated graphics, SiS ® MirageTM Graphics engine, provides high quality graphics to ensure outstanding visual experience for multimedia equipments. GA-8S661FXM-775 also provides a variety of features such as 8 USB 2.0 ports, 6-channel audio, 10/100Mbps network connection, and high speed ATA133 interface. GA-8S661FXM-775 is designed to deliver the best all-in-one solution and fulfill the requirement for full range of applications now and future.
Product Specification:
Processor / FSB LGA 775 for Intel® Pentium® 4 processor
800/533/400 MHz FSB

Chipset North bridge: SiS661FX
South bridge: SiS964 MuTIOL® Media I/O
Realtek ALC655 Codec chip
ICS1883 LAN PHY chip
Memory Type: DDR400/DDR333/DDR266
Max capacity: 2GB
DIMM slots:2
Internal I/O Connectors 2 x Serial ATA ports
2 x USB2.0 connectors (4 ports by cable)
S/P DIF input/output connector (by optional cable)
2 x UDMA ATA 133/100/66 Bus Master IDE ports
1 x FDD port
CD in connector
1 x COM port

Expansion Slots 1 x AGP 8X/4X slot
3 x PCI slots (PCI 2.2 compliant)
Rear Panel I/O 1 x VGA port
4 x USB 2.0 ports
1 x RJ45 LAN port
1 x LPT port
3 x Audio ports (Line-in/Line-out/MIC)
1 x COM port
2 x PS/2 ports (Keyboard/Mouse)

Form Factor uATX
23.0 x 24.4 cm
Bundle Software Norton Internet Security
-Norton Anti Virus™
- Norton™ Personal Firewall
- Norton™ Privacy Control
- Norton™ Parental Control
- Norton™ Spam Alert
GIGABYTE Windows Utility Manager
Adobe Acrobat Reader
BIOS 2M bit flash ROM

H/W Monitoring System health status auto-detect and report by BIOS
Hardware detecting and reporting for Case open and CPU and System fan speed
Other Features Xpress3
EasyTuneTM5(Hardware monitor only)
@BIOS
Q-FlashTM

Warranty 3 Year Manufacturer

March 31, 2009 8:07:50 PM

As far as I can tell the motherboad is in fine condition. Everything is plugged in properly ect.

I would also guess that the new cpu did not damage the motherboard since I was able to boot the computer up using the old cpu after uninstalling the new one
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2009 8:47:18 PM

Have you gone to Gigabyte's website and checked for CPU compatibility? As stated already, just because the board is socket 775 doesn't mean it will support all 775 CPUs.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSuppo...

and see if your CPU is supported, but I doubt it - nothing from a Pentium D and later is compatible.
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2009 8:52:22 PM

That board doesn't support your new processor. Have you tried pulling the battery to clear cmos.
March 31, 2009 8:56:05 PM

he isnt talking about his new cpu, his old one isnt working now.

check for shorts
make sure all cables are plugged in (cpu 4/8 pin power connector)
clear the cmos
March 31, 2009 9:20:59 PM

Thank you Kyeana, I am talking about my old cpu, not the new one.

Yes I have checked all the cables, plug-ins. They're all good. I cleared the CMOS by taking the battery out for 1 minute and still the same problem persist.

Is this a clear indication via trial and error that my problem is centered around my cpu, or is there still room for doubt? Once again all I'm trying to figure out is weither my old cpu is fried or not before I buy a new one.

Thanks guys
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2009 9:27:07 PM

Are you ABSOLUTELY certain you did not bend/break any of the pins on the CPU/socket?
It is very, very easy to do.
I doubt that you damaged it by static discharge, very, very remote.
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2009 9:28:26 PM

^+1
March 31, 2009 9:34:31 PM

Pretty sure, there don't appear to be any pins on the CPU itself as far as I can see, just a few copper blocks that touch the socket pins when installed. Socket pins are all intact btw. I thought I was grounded while installing this thing. My method was to grib the metal part of a screw driver while installing the cpu. Not the best method I suppose, so I think it's possible for a static discharge, especially considering I did all of this with my feet on the carpet. I've tried every solution I've read about short of switching out the CPU and/or motherboard, seeing as how I don't have any spares.

If enough of you guys tell me it's probabally my cpu that's the problem then I'll go ahead and buy a new one. I just don't want to waste the money on one if it's not the actual problem.
March 31, 2009 9:34:45 PM

Pretty sure, there don't appear to be any pins on the CPU itself as far as I can see, just a few copper blocks that touch the socket pins when installed. Socket pins are all intact btw. I thought I was grounded while installing this thing. My method was to grib the metal part of a screw driver while installing the cpu. Not the best method I suppose, so I think it's possible for a static discharge, especially considering I did all of this with my feet on the carpet. I've tried every solution I've read about short of switching out the CPU and/or motherboard, seeing as how I don't have any spares.

If enough of you guys tell me it's probabally my cpu that's the problem then I'll go ahead and buy a new one. I just don't want to waste the money on one if it's not the actual problem.
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2009 9:47:49 PM

much more common to fry a board than a cpu. What are the specs on the new cpu; it is quite possible that it would be better all around to get a board that fits it.
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2009 9:53:01 PM

On your CPU, I believe that yes, the pins are in the socket. Take a magnifying glass and a good light, look them each and everyone over very carefully. It only takes a slight misalignment to render the CPU inoperable, LGA sockets are notorious for this problem if you start taking the CPU in and out. Have seen a lot of people have this exact same scenerio. If a pin in the socket is not making good contact, a new CPU won't fix the problem!

I am really sorry if we sound like a broken record, but you have to check very, very carefully to be sure this is indeed not the problem.

And nay, I still say the static issue is a tiny, tiny, very remote possibilty.
April 4, 2009 2:01:59 PM

Did you leave the C2D in a lot longer the second time?? Much more likely in my experience to fry a mobo - especially if the incompatible cpu draws a lot more power.

If you have access I would test the cpu with a known working good mobo. Alternatively I would consider sending the board back for repair if under warranty. Or upgrade to a newer mobo and run the C2D.

I would definitely not replace the old cpu yet.

April 4, 2009 5:47:32 PM

Thanks for the help on this matter guys. Didn't have access to an alternate working motherboard or compatible CPU so I just decided to buy a whole nother rig, rather than waste the money on a new CPU and then realize afterwards that is was my motherboard or vice versa.

My new specs are-
AMD Dual Core 3.0ghz
Corsair 2 Gigs 1600mhz RAM
ATI Radeon 3850 512mb RAM 256bit

Which is a vaste improvement over-
Pentium 4 Single Core 3.0ghz
2 Gigs 400mhz RAM
Nvidia Geforce 5500FX

Thanks again for the help
April 4, 2009 8:01:42 PM

umm 1600mhz ddr3 ram won't work with a non am3 board and processor.
April 4, 2009 8:40:25 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
umm 1600mhz ddr3 ram won't work with a non am3 board and processor.

Um no....
!