Case for the 4850x2 and good cooling...

naroth

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I have searched for a while for a case for my new build, but ultimately can't make a decision. I've browsed through toms' forums and many others seeing what people suggested, but I need help in making a decision ><. Oh wise forum gurus (and trolls :) ), please help me decide! Here are the stats I find most important in picking a case:

- Full tower to fit the 4850x2 and the Noctua heatsink for the i7 920. Will have 3 hard drives.
- My current older computer is insanely loud, so I've been looking for a quiet case.
- Prefer Aluminum with minimal steel or plastic.
- Great air cooling, I'm willing to replace fans for better performance.
- Simple, quality construction.
- Dust filters of some sort / closed case. Dust and cat hair are a problem here no matter how often I clean.
- Willing to go up to $300- $400, if it's worth it.

A few cases I've been looking at:

Lian Li PC A20
Slightly larger than a midtower with a lot of sound dampening properties and support. Not sure if it would be too cramped or end up too warm. I like the support bar, especially with how long the 4850x2 is. Can find it cheaper on cooler guys or in silver.
Lian Li PC P80
Seems like it would have good cooling, has the support bar, plenty of space, easy clean filter.
Lian Li PC B70
Seems like a nice in between the above cases, but I'm not sure if it would cool well enough.
CoolerMaster Stacker 830
A friend has it and likes this case, but his is water cooled. The amount of mesh makes me worried about dust and volume, but it seems like a solid case with good cooling.
Thermaltake Armor+
Seems like a decent case, not sure about how loud it might be.
CoolerMaster HAF
I don't like its looks, and it's steel, but I've heard it has fantastic cooling, plus Newegg has a promo deal on it for a price you can't really beat. I've dealt with the plastic tool less options in one of CM's other cases, and hated it. Are these the same in this case as all their others?

Any opinons or info anyone can offer is much appreciated, be it about these cases or another option.

I bought the CoolerMaster HAF 932 last August. The stock cooling is fantastic. Yes, it is a steel case but the ventilation, airflow, and cooling are excellent so the case material does not matter. Yes, the drive bays, hard disk cage, and card fasteners on the rear of the case are the typical CM tool free design. I didn't care too much for it so I removed all those tool free fasteners and screwed everything in place. I don't change parts very often so it didn't matter to me. The exterior of the case is a love it or hate it type of thing. I did a case mod with a black and copper theme.

If you are not too crazy about the looks of the HAF 932, then you might want to take a look at the new CoolerMaster Storm Sniper that has a cleaner look:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119194

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Have you looked at the Antec 1200 ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043&Tpk=antec%20twelve

This is the case I have right now and it will fit a 4850x2. I know 'cause I have one. The case can be quiet as you want. There are speed adjustments for all fans. It has dust filters on the intake fans. If you want to make it quieter you can replace the stock fans.

It's not aluminum but plastic and steel but it is very well built and very solid.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I'll give a second vote for the Antec 1200. I just switched my Thermaltake Armour MX+ for the Antec 1200 about 2 weeks ago. The thermaltake armour was a good case, very well built, but it didnt move enough air unless you switched out the stock fans and then ran them higher so they tend to be loud. My antec 1200 has 6 120mm fans compared to the thermaltakes 2 and its still as quiet as the thermaltake was and has much better airflow. The thermaltake was easier to install components into but overall for cooling the antec 1200 is a much much better design.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
+1 for the 1200. I have one, have a 4870X2 in it, e-ATX motherboard, 3 hard drives, optional fans, the works, and there's still tons of room and airflow.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Ok, while I still highly endorse the Antec 1200 I have to retract all my statements about the ThermalTake Armour MX+. After switching to the Antec I was getting a build ready for a friend in my former case the Armour MX+. I decided to go ahead and get new CPU fans for both systems since while my temps in the Antect 1200 were acceptable, I was still hitting near the processors max when stress testing in the Armour MX+. I swapped the CPU fans in both systems for Xigmateks and all I can say is WOW... I never thought I would get my processors down to this low a temp. My processors are now maxing at what they use to idle at. Both cases are running 125watt AMD processors (The antec 1200 I have a Phenom 2 940 in, the Armour MX+ I have my old X2 6000+ in). Both processors are now idling in the low 30's and maxing out in the low 40's. In the end I would highly endorse either case, the Antec 1200 or the Thermaltake Armour MX+. Just make sure you get a descent processor fan for whichever case you use.

naroth

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Thanks for such quick replies! I have looked at the Antec 1200, but ruled it out due to personal preference. Right now I'm focusing on the CM HAF, the CM ATCS 840 Bige linked, and the Lian Li PC B70. Debating between putting a side fan on the Lian Li or adding a fan to the bottom of the ATCS to get more cool air to the graphics card (if I find a good place to prop the case up onto), or saying screw it all and going with the HAF.

macabre215

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
I have been drooling over my friends CM HAF case, fans are so quiet that it's scary. Tool-less options were fine, only problem I had with it was how heavy it became once you put everything in it, but most full ATX cases are like that.