CryTeC

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I'm new to liquid cooling. I need to know what components do i need to build a water cooling system. I have around $300 bucks(can max to 350) to spend on liquid cooling but im not sure is it enough to make it work.

Here is my current system:

i5 750 2.67ghz stock heatsink----- currently running at 2.83ghz
Mobo msi p55-CD53
260gtx OC nvidia
OCZ 4gb DDR3 1333 mhz ---- currently running at 2.138 mhz
750W PSU
500gb Seagate 7200 rpm

I have my mind on the Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B. but if i buy all the accessories for it and it cost around $140(Clip2X, Ultra high speed 2X,heatsink why not just go all in for a good cooling system?
But if i buy the liquid cooling what is the safe range of processing speed of the i5 750 2.66ghz can go up to? ( i want it to go up to around 3.9 or 4.0ghz because i just want it not because i need it :bounce: ) not running 24/7 around 10H a day just for personal use and gaming .

banthracis

Distinguished
To get liquid cooling on CPU only to equal the best big air, it's ~$400 investment. If you wanna add GPU's, RAM and chipsets to the system, that's another ~$350, plus you'll need a bigger rad and more fans.

On the other hand, with a good case, you can max out an i5-750 using air cooling with great temps without any issue.

Also, why on earth, and how on earth are you taking 1333 OCZ RAM to 2138?

i4yue

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
yup upgrade the fans and BAM! even better watercooling for only like a $20 upgrade. throw the original fans on the pull side and put some yate loons on the push side ^_^

i have an OLD old version of the swiftech h20 and ive overclocked to 4ghz at 1.55 from 3.2ghz at 1.35 and my temps never go over 50c

banthracis

Distinguished
That's actually a really good deal there.
My only concern it that I'm not sure that Rad will work for an i7 at 4ghz. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with less than a 360.

Problem is that at 360 you start running into, will it actually fit my case issues >.<

It's definitely doable, I was just trying to make sure the OP was aware of the kind of price premium needed to equal good air.

CryTeC

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Well all of the above sound good you guys think i should just get the Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B and mount 2 fan on it push and pull. I have a CM Sniper case so space is not a problem

Been using one on an I7 at 4.27, works fine.
If the OP wanted to equal good air he could go with an H50 with dual fans that would cost less than what he quoted the Mega and extra's at.

On the cheap ($90) a push/pull added - 5C w/2 fans (match your fans!!!) [Corsair H50] is okay if you stay ~4 GHz or preferably lower, there is an [OEM Asetek $120] P/N 35-101-1012200 with 240mm and you'll need a mounting kit.

In general, I prefer Koolance its ala carte and time consuming to figure out 1st go around. You'll be at your max $. Many of the resellers can help put together everything you'll need, but do your research first. You "can" mix & match with other vendors on tubing, pumps, controller(s), etc - BUT get their water blocks.

Most people here are very pro fan... I am very pro water. Smoother performance, quieter, can be more extreme w/o the worry + it's Cool(er)!

Reality check though, I personally would spend the money diffidently:

Option 1: [Gaming]
SLI GTX 260 ($200) ; push/pull H50 ($90) = $290

Option 2: [Most Everything Else]
Kensington 128 Gb SSD ($260) Drive ; push/pull H50 ($90) = $350

Option 3: [Max Budget]
Kensington 64 Gb SSD ($114 w/rebate) OS+ Drive ; Asetek LCLC ($62) ; SLI GTX 260 ($170-$200) = $339-$369

In your system, the benefits of an SSD should be considered before you through $350 at cooling. I prioritize SSD over CPU, it is a whole different world - your HDD is the by far the slowest part of your computer.

P.S. Lower your RAM speed!!!!

CryTeC

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Oh about that RAM i read it wrong. I forgot to look at the DRAM frequency i looked at the NB frequency. My DRAM Frequency is only 534.7 MHZ :kaola: . So you guys saying the H50 with 2 extra fan would be better then the Pro Mega? well i will lower the processor speed expectation to around 3.5~3.6

1 extra fan would do
As well as , maybe a little better ; http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-hydro-series-h50-review/
No need to lower your expectations
There's also no need to "match the fans" as long as you don't go overboard and mix a 110 CFM fan with the stock 50 CFM unit.

Not to argue, but just to help...

I've tested the H50 extensively myself, used as I believe you do (fan/bench). There are a few mistakes that people make which in turn results in poorer than expected/possible performance: 1. You need to pull the cooler air INTO your case, 2. The pump MUST run at 100% and not be connected to the CPU fan on the MOBO, 3. SAME fans "SHOULD" be used (e.g. CFM, Fan Speed -> otherwise the turbulence/pressure differential causes lower efficiency; e.g. {CFM or RPM differences - push > pull ~ blocking fan}. So, "I" simply get the same exact fans, and because you're pulling cool air into the case I "ideally" prefer cases with bottom, ft/rear, (side), and TOP ventilation. Most of the reviews do one of the three mistakes and therefore their numbers are skewed; the link provided screams [graphs] of a mis-configured H50.

I had to learn the hard-way myself.

Push/Pull - http://blog.corsair.com/?p=987
["To ensure that the fans do not compete with each other, it’s important to use two identical fans, or two fans with similar airflow characteristics..."]
How to Video - http://www.youtube.com/user/CorsairMemoryInc#p/search/0/PUxoFiFuS_g

note: I do not like nor do I use the stock fan(s).

Yup. That kit will pwn all air coolers. My only concern with that kit is it's using a 220 rad which would not be enough for a i7/X6.

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006

I am concerned about possibly using on an i7 or x6 too. But the op listed an i5 as the current cpu they are using, and that rad should work fine for it.

-ouch1

^ lol, It's just one of my "play" set ups. I have a bunch of set ups actually, one for gaming + programming + vid editing, one for CAD/CFD + programming + vid/photo editing (a 2P now), one for DLing, web,etc ( A E2180 OCed). I run Server 2008 R2 since I got a free key + DL for it via MSDNAA, besides that, for the work I do on that PC (vid editing + gaming) it seems to be faster for vid editing possible due to some Server based optimization at the low level. As for Red Hat Linux, that is commercial and I would need to pay to get it, besides that Fedora is updated much more frequently.

^ ;)

Interesting "stuff" for a [17] year old who joined the non-existantant site in 1970. :whistle:

CryTeC

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Hey guys i just bought the H50 cooling and when i OC it it gave me a blue screen of death, not actually blue screen of death but it keep going to that blue screen and restart my computer anyone know what should i do to fix it? is it because of my bios is not up to date? or because of i OC it too much my board can't handle it?