Distinguished
core i7
if you want full specs here..
Processor: Core i7 920
Hard Drive: 64GB Solid State
PSU:750watt
RAM: 12GB...but deciding which speed...
Motherboard: ASUS
I just need to know if I get 1600mhz ram vs 1333mhz ram...will it increase performance of my computer overall????????I really need to know, becuase on the internet, nobody pays attention to the speed of ram...only to the quantity of it and speed of ram plays a big role.

The i7 will gain significant benefit in bandwidth from 1600MHz RAM. However, that will only matter if the application you are running is bottlenecked by RAM bandwidth. Very few desktop apps are.

Rain1406

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Go for 6GB of Ram, 12 is a waste of money and in some case detrimental. if there 1600mhz would be better unless it is a significan price increase, When I built my i7 rig a month or so ago there was no difference at all, exact same price for the 1600mhz

For games, definitely not. There isn't a noticeable performance difference. For other programs, it depends. Some programs might show benefit, some would not. Most of the programs that show benefit are the kind that work on very large data sets. If you're doing anything like that, then it would probably be worth it.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
thanks...however in another board you said you were running the same motherboard as i am and have 1600mhz ram...i did research and many websites said that the asus p6t which you said you were running on another board, only supports 1333mhz ram speed? Is this true or does it really support 1600mhz ram.