Im alittle confused

Hofa456

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I have a celeron precessor http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL6WK
on a HP compaq..d330 i want to replace the processor to an intel p4 HT...
the problem is that:
1 i dont know if my motherboard will support an 800 mhz (it sais in the manual 400/533/800 mhz)
but im just not sure

2 what about the cache ... im looking at 2 p4 ht models
a) Intel Northwood 4 Cpu P4 3.0GHZ Socket 478 SL6WK HT
b) Intel prescott (i think) Pentium 4 3.0GHZ Processor Socket 478 SL7E4 HT

the difference between both processors is the cache
the northwood p4 is 512 kb
the prescott p4 is 1MB
the pice is very similar... so its not a problem.. i just dont want to buy the wrong one ...
please someone help me ...

The prescott is better than the northwood however with a system that old your upgrades are just keeping it on life support, if you can pull together enough for a more recent generation processor, motherboard, and graphics card you will get a much bigger performance boost.

Hofa456

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
lol... thanks.... i know its a bit old...(2003)
but would the prescott work ... ...
and next i plan to change from ata to sata ... the motherboard supporst both...
i recently upgraded my video card.. i think im good with that .. im not into graphics.. other thank the usual movies...
howevery i do alot of internet work... and multitask alot .. thats why i wanted a processor change ..
after installing the chip.. do i need to upgrade the bios verson ...
and how would i go about doing that ....
i did download an upgrande .. but didnt install it ...(dont really know how too )

thanks a ton bro

Hofa456

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Asus P4SD SP#323091-001
actually thanks for that... i thought i had looked up all the motherboard info.. till now ...
i will accept the 1mb cache.. and the 800 mhz...
now hopefully i dont have to configure or change my bios ...
asus no longer makes sockets 478 mobo... lol... wow i guess im pretty old

Hofa456

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
hunter... why would you say that prescott is better than northwood ... im curious..
does that mean that they are manifactured differently or.. manifactured at different locations
Why name the core differently ... that urks me ... lol

Pentium 4's passed through 3 different types of manufacturing, the first generation "Willamette" was 180nm, then came "Northwood" at 130nm, and finally "Prescott" at 90nm. The smaller manufacturing allows for lower heat dissipation and they also support SSE3 which is just a general instruction set, and they had fixed an issue with the northwoods by the time they were making prescotts.

And the larger cache being the only real difference between the two, and the fact that newegg took down the only northwood it was carrying should make your decision real easy, i saw the northwood early today i dont know where it went.

Hofa456

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They said that prescott had more problems with heat.. and a the larger cache was not a significant difference...
although better for some apps.. but not for all ...i know the prescot core is smaller .. however it has longer pipes... resulting in lower speeds for everyday apps or work apps.. as compared with a matching northwood core...
ive also read that there is a compatibility issue with the prescott core and windows Xp /service pack 2 Which is what i have ...
Im hoping that i dont have to mess with the jumpers on my mobo ... and staying away form my bios ..
but i think i have to change the bios for anyprocessor that i buy...now thats my main problem ...

TRENDING THREADS