Sign in with
Your question

Help unlocking cores on the amd phenom x2 550 be

Last response: in Overclocking
June 15, 2010 12:25:02 AM

im trying to unlock the other 2 cores on the amd processor.... i have an

ASRock M3A780GXH/128M AM3 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

the youtube video i watched on how to do this was w/ a gigabyte motherboard. i do understand some motherboards wont allow you to do this. however i updated my bios and found that it does allow me to open the cores. i didnt overclock at first it seemed to be running fine and my temperature rose to 55c at the highest then outta nowhere it shut off. so i restarted checked temps were at 44c nothing looked wrong. i was w3ondering if someone could help me get this stabilized so i can run it as the quad core. it was 3-4 days before it shut off so i tried it again while keeping an eye on the temps and adjusted voltage slightly. same thing though it shutoff im just wondering what i might need to adjust in bios to get it stable. i downloaded the amd overdrive utility program so i could monitor everything. any suggestions....?
oh i forgot i did order an aftermarket fan n heatsink from newegg arriving tomorrow. thanx in advance for helping.

god bless
josh
a b K Overclocking
June 15, 2010 1:06:47 AM

How long were you running it before it shutoff?

The only significant change you can make is up the voltage though it might require a considerable amount of voltage.

The cores themselves do not meet standards so they were locked. There could be a chance they will never become stable even with higher voltage.
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
June 15, 2010 10:07:48 AM

Agreed try increasing the voltage to 1.5V (highest recommended) and run Prime95 if its OK try to lower the voltage as much as you can (after any overclocking).
m
l
Related resources
June 15, 2010 2:23:37 PM

not every x2 can be unlocked.....
m
l
June 15, 2010 9:17:14 PM

i didnt do any overclocking i bumped voltage up 1.45 then 1.5 and i get 10 minutes running prime95 that is the temp being 40c in the beginning and around 59-60c after the 10minutes of prime95. would you say im wasting my time bhuying an aftermarket cpu cooler[fan n heatsink] or 9s the heat possibly the problem? should i be trying to overclock after opening the other 2 cores or does that in theory make it less stable if its shutting at stock 3.1ghz and 1.35 to 1.5v? thanks again all? is the fan n heatsink from arctic cooling still worth buyin for only 30bucks just to have?

god bless
josh
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2010 9:56:12 AM

Are you saying prime95 ran OK for 10 mins then you stopped it or ran for 10 mins then crashed? If it crashed try running 3 cores if it ran OK and you stopped it try running it for a few hours and see what happens. If your system is like mine you cannot read the core temps with extra cores unlocked so I assume you are reading from what the motherboard reports which is around 10C higher than the core temps so the temps are OK if your not going to overclock. I have a 550BE running 4 cores at 3.55GHz and my temps are 10C lower than yours using a Coolmaster TX3.
m
l
June 16, 2010 7:53:49 PM

simon12 said:
Are you saying prime95 ran OK for 10 mins then you stopped it or ran for 10 mins then crashed? If it crashed try running 3 cores if it ran OK and you stopped it try running it for a few hours and see what happens. If your system is like mine you cannot read the core temps with extra cores unlocked so I assume you are reading from what the motherboard reports which is around 10C higher than the core temps so the temps are OK if your not going to overclock. I have a 550BE running 4 cores at 3.55GHz and my temps are 10C lower than yours using a Coolmaster TX3.

i have amd overdrice installed to monitor everything. that sounds like a good idea just unlocking the 3rd core simon. how would i go about opening just the 3rd and not the fourth. i see on amd overdrive where i can indivually turn the multiplier up or down so if i open all cores and set the 4th to zero is that what you mean by just running 3 cores or is there another to just open the 3rd core alone? thanx for help.

anyone else know how i'd go about this or haver any other ideas?

god bless
josh
m
l
June 16, 2010 8:47:01 PM

also i was just reaqding the 550be overclock guide that is on this site and one thing i noticed was running matching memory. mine is matching im running 2g x4=8g and it suggests overclocking or any tweaking is much harder to do w/ 8g.... does anyone think i should use 4g instead? i dont need 8g, i'd rather be able run the 2unlocked cores w/ a little overclocking. pleez let me know your thoughts.

god bless
josh
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2010 9:19:52 PM

You should be able to unlock/lock cores seperately in the bios, try locking the 3rd then the 4th to compare as one may be bad not the other (I don't know if you can do this in all bios settings). I dought just running 2 sticks or RAM will make a difference but if you haven't already set your RAM to the correct speed and timings in the bios.
m
l
!