Need replacement for a 32MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra

I have a Dell 4550 and would like to upgrade my video card. The idea is to get the best graphics card I can at a good price - say $50 - until I replace the entire system in a couple of years. I have found 250MB/8x cards for $20 but the question is can I use an 8x card in my 4x/PCI slot without causing damage to the card or motherboard. Card suggestions and info would be appreciated - Thanks.

I used Everest to get the following system info:

Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2000 MHz (20 x 100)
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 4550
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale i845PE
System Memory 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (09/17/02)

Display
Video Adapter 32MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra (32 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Rage128 Pro AGP 4x
Monitor Dell E151FPp [15" LCD] (6R6442AEC4HD)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive MAXTOR 6L040J2 (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Disk Drive HP psc 2410 USB Device
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8481B (48x CD-ROM)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-240B (40x/12x/40x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 38162 MB (21147 MB free)
4 answers Last reply
More about need replacement 32mb rage ultra
  1. not really any options to upgrade pci much futher.
  2. You do not have an AGP 3.3V slot. Any AGP card that states it is compatible with AGP 8X/4X and will fit inside your case, should work. You have a rather weak power supply in the system so I don't suggest you get crazy with it.

With all that being said, you don't indicate that you do any gaming (and with an ATI Rage 128 I can see why) so just about any cheap card will do as most of them in your price range will not stress your power supply. You could look far a cheap vanilla nVidia 6600 or possibly a 7600GS series card or perhaps a 9600XT, X1600XT or an X1650 Pro on eBay. They aren't the latest and greatest, but they are available on eBay in your price range, have decent features, and do not use a lot of power.

There is also this open-box X1650Pro on Newegg as well as a new version that has a $10 mail-in rebate.

Those are the best ones however just about any cheap new card will work for basic computer use.
  3. This place any good to you?

https://s.hostingprod.com/@www.pcplan-it.com/ssl/h_video.html

And Newegg has an Asus HD3450 with a low profile adaptor for about $45.
  4. shiftstealth

I am not really looking for a big jump. Just trying to upgrade as much as possible at a good price until I replace the whole system. Thanks for the input.

Anoobis

Thanks for the detailed response - I was hoping that since I have a 4x card now in a 4x/PCI slot that an 8x wouldn't cause a problem - even if it doesn't work at full potential. I noticed in similar discussions that some people have damaged their card/motherboard when they installed the wrong card (due to voltage etc). This is all temporary anyway until I save for a new system. Upgrading to the max 2GB Ram helped a lot and upgrading the card is as far as I want to go on an outdated system. I used the Dell online scanner and it recommended a Radeon 9250 or an X1300 but most of the available ones online are 8x. At least now I know it won't cause any damage. I don't fully trust Dell anyway since they said my system could only handle a max of 1GB ram. The 2GB I have in there now is fully utilized so I figured the forum would set me on the right path. Thanks again.

P.S. - You're right about the gaming. I still play AOM-Titans. I did buy the original Halo recently but if it doesn't work I won't lose any sleep over it.

Coozie7

PC Plan-It has an ATI 4x 128MB for $45. I will check into the ASUS as well. Thanks.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product