[New System Build] Opinon's Please

DPalmer5059

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Hey TH Community,

I haven't upgraded in about 1yr, and I plan on building a new i7 config when I get back from Africa in about 4 months so may timeframe. My budget is $3000 and would actually like to keep it at around $2500. Here's my first version please give your opinons. I'm having problems deciding between the 3gb or 6gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz kit, is it really that big of a upgrade considering all of the other top end products I have. One more question, since I plan on building this in 4 months will there be anything better out by then I should consider. Thanks for your time.

ver.1
- Case: Undecided
- PSU: Corsair 1000HX 1000w
- Proc: Intel i7 - 965 EE Nehalem
- Mobo: Intel x58 ATX
- Memory: Corsair DDR3 1600mhz (3gb or 6gb kit)/ Haven't decided yet
- GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1gb (2)
- Optical Drive: Undecided but know I want BluRay
- HD:WD VelociRaptor 300GB 10000rpm

seriously in 3 months prices will drop and new products will come in so maybe wait.

as for the cpu i would go for core 920 and simply overclock it, save money haha
good choice for psu
i would go for 6gb kit
as for gpu gtx295 will come out, maybe in 3months there ill be new cards coming out so yeah
blue ray drives r getting cheap
i would go for ssd drive for os and big 1tb drive for your data

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Agreed, they are the same chip, dont waste your money lol go for 6gb ram, make sure you have 64bit OS, Graphics card up to you...

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
My crystal ball tells me there WILL better items available in four months, it's just a little hazy about what in particular... If you're going to run a 32 bit OS, stick with the 3GB, if it's going to be a 64 bit OS, then go with the 6GB. Your motherboard selection is a little hazy; are you looking a an Intel board with the X58 chipset, or just motherboards with the Intel X58 chipset... Stick with Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI; good brand names with good features, Intel boards in the past have been crippled with inflexible BIOS settings...

DPalmer5059

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Yeah that's what I thought. I'll probably start with this and then add or remove based on what newer items come out within the 4 months i'm away. As far as the case goes I think i'm gonna go with the CM Stacker 830 Nvidia Ed. Sleek awesome looking case imo