Sign in with
Your question

File names truncating and jpg's shoing as tiles instead of thumbnails.

Last response: in Windows XP
June 10, 2011 2:13:30 PM

Hi,

I've got a strange problem. We use our old office p.c running xp home/service pack 3 to manage product catalogues. We have sub folders with in sub folders within folders of images.The images are jpg's with the file names made up of a product code-description-price.
Example: ccp001-scrapbooking embellishments-R14.99.jpg
The problem is: Intermittently, file names become truncated and / or images become unnavailable. The strange thing is that it only happens in certain folders and seems totally random. If I transfer the catalogue to a laptop running windows 7 or vista before the problem occurs then everything works fine indefinitely on the laptops but we don't want to spend $119 to upgrade and reps get updated every week, meaning friday afternoons are spent hunting for dodgy files. I realise my file names are long but thousands of images with longer names are fine so I can't understand why this happens to certain images only.

Can any one help?
June 10, 2011 2:59:10 PM

In accepting that the filenames are long, are you taking into account the entire path? That's the parameter to look for - not just the length of the name of the file itself.

June 13, 2011 8:34:50 AM

Thanks for posting a response so quick. I'm not 100% sure that I understand what you're asking. I haven't taken into account the entire path as my customers would only look at the file name under the product photo which they just see as a label. How would the path be relevant? I'm keen to try anything you can suggest.
June 23, 2011 5:49:18 AM

I thought about what you said and shortened the names of the folders holding the affected files and this seems to have stopped the problem from recurring. Thanks
June 23, 2011 6:11:32 AM

Well done. It's always worth remembering that a filename starts with the drive letter and ends with the filename extension - everything in between counts and you run into real trouble when it exceeds 256 characters.

June 23, 2011 6:30:51 AM

I can't believe how simple the answer was. This problem drove me nuts for months! I finally understand how it all works. Thanks buddy!
!