disgorge89

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I just built my first computer and I didn't invest in aftermarket cooling. I'm running a Phenom II x6 1055t at stock speeds. My motherboard is a BIOSTAR TA890GXB. The stock cooler is extremely loud even when the cpu temperatures are very low. I'm idling at around 22 and never going over 35 or so with a load. I'd like to know if there is some program I can use to regulate the speed of the fan on the cpu heatsink/fan. I've tried the AMD overdrive utility that came with my motherboard drivers but it doesn't work. When I set the fan speed in there and click apply it doesn't make any audible change. When I restart the program, the rpm stays the same(it's hovering around 5.4krpm once it's been on for 20 minutes if that's relevant). Any suggestions on this?

Would there be any easy way to change out just the fan on the stock cooler or will I have to invest in an aftermarket cooler if a fan control program fails? If so, what's a reasonably quiet one I can use? The Fry's Electronics near me sells CM hyper 212+ for 30$ and I've heard good things about it's cooling/overclocking abilities, but I haven't heard anything about the noise levels. I do plan on light-moderate overclocking in the future provided I get acceptable noise levels. Thanks.

Solution
Hey disgorge!

Lets set you straight and ready to rock. The stock cooler is very inefficent and cheap to make. The fan is a screamer to compensate. You'll do well with the 212, pretty good for the price, you'd be very happy.

The AMD overdrive can't tell the CPU fan what to do. You need to go into the bios and setup the CPU fan control. At xx temp the fan will spin at xx etc. But it's still not as nice as a cool aftermarket cooler.

Aftermarket is MUCH bigger and the fans are MUCH bigger. So the area of fins is huge and the fan doen't need to scream at insane levels to push enough air to remove the heat. Get the 212, set the stock fan on medium, your good.

I need to ask you what software are you using to measure your CPU temps...

disgorge89

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010

No, I don't mind software controlling my fans, I just can't find any software that works and allows me to reduce the fan speed. I tried speedfan but it isn't initializing and detecting my hardware properly;

"Win9x:NO 64Bit:YES GiveIO:NO SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
End of detection
Loaded 0 events"

Any other suggestions as far as software I could use to change the speed of the fan?

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Hey disgorge!

Lets set you straight and ready to rock. The stock cooler is very inefficent and cheap to make. The fan is a screamer to compensate. You'll do well with the 212, pretty good for the price, you'd be very happy.

The AMD overdrive can't tell the CPU fan what to do. You need to go into the bios and setup the CPU fan control. At xx temp the fan will spin at xx etc. But it's still not as nice as a cool aftermarket cooler.

Aftermarket is MUCH bigger and the fans are MUCH bigger. So the area of fins is huge and the fan doen't need to scream at insane levels to push enough air to remove the heat. Get the 212, set the stock fan on medium, your good.

I need to ask you what software are you using to measure your CPU temps?

Your CPU idles on a stock cooler at 72F/22C. I don't think so. Something about physics seems to say no way. Whats your room temps when you measure 22C? Aha.

I'd say the mobo stuff your using or the AMD stuff. It's crap. Use Coretemp to monitor your temps, I'm sure your temps will be a LOT higher than what your other software shows.

Download the latest version and read about how AMD temps are measured vs intel chips.

Hope that helps. A fully integrated concise answer.

Just to bug i4yue, he hates me but never takes the time to reply to questions. Pretty smart guy tho......

Solution

disgorge89

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010

Thanks a lot for the thorough response. Coretemp puts me at the mid 20s but still slightly higher than the AMD utility, as you predicted. My room temp is in the 80s. I do have arctic silver and not the stock thermal compound. Oddly enough when I first turn the computer on the fan is pretty quiet for the first 20 minutes or so then it accelerates up to 7k+ rpm over the course of a few hours and starts getting obscenely loud.

I will probably just get the 212 though, I just don't have much confidence in the stock cooling and I would never try to overclock with it.