Radeon HD 4870 problem

thepunisher302

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I just put together a system i had in another post. I had been waiting a few days for a new PSU to come and finally today I put it all together. Unfortuantely I powered up the system and my monitor said "No DVI Signal". So i tried plugging my DVI cable into the other port... Still nothing. My monitor ran fine on my old PC using the same DVI connector. I suspect my video card is the culpret since I've heard a from a few people who had DOA Powercolor cards. THe fan on the card was spinning so I'm pretty sure it's getting some power. I had the molex connector connected on the motherboard and both PCI-E plugs plugged in. I just don't get it. Any helpful suggestions would be welcome. I will be taking this card into the shop tomorrow to have it tested on a bench (that way I'll know for sure if it's the card or not).

Powercolor Radeon HD 4870
MSI K9A2 Platinum
PC POwer and Cooling 750 SIlencer

Oh and unfortunately my board doesn't have onboard video :(

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
If the video card is outputting signals for a screen format not supported by the monitor, this could cause problems.

Do you see nothing at all at any point of the start-up? Can you use the DVI-to-VGA adapter and try a VGA-compatible monitor? Do you have any other monitors you could try?

I have almost exactly the same system, but my HD4870 is from Sapphire.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
It could be the card but i am doubtful. do you have the cpu 4/8 power pin connected AS WELL AS the normal 20/24 power pin? Do you have everything else properly seated and connected? Have you tried with only 1 stick of ram, the cpu, and the gpu? Taken it out of the case and assembled on a static free surface to check for shorts?

Those should all be done before you start paying people to test components for you. Those tests will help isolate which component is the culprit, if any. My money is still on the 4/8 pin cpu power connector not being connected

I know you said DVI but did you by chance switch from VGA to DVI?

I installed a Geforce 9500GT on my wife's computer and the computer would post but the Samsung LCD monitor would not come on. I found out because it was formerly using a VGA connector that the monitor was running in analog mode. I pressed a button on the monitor to switch to digital and it came right up.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
can you see bios post? no post; test out the ram. With bad ram-there will be fan on but no HD activity and no vga display. Even if you have bad vga card-the post still works.

Unsupported resolution only happen when window is loading-then you get no video signal error. Rwayne and Altazi describe this problem. If you cant see post from the bios then this is not unsupported video problem.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
^
1. How is he supposed to tell if it is posting or not when he cant see the screen? If it is the video card at fault here then it could post every time and he would never know
2. Hard drive isn't necessary for post, therefor if it isn't loading an OS (which i assume one isn't installed at this point) then there would be no HDD light on anyways even if it was posting
3. There are many other things that causes fans and lights to turn on but no video that don't involve ram, foremost being if the cpu 4/8 pin connector is plugged in. If that isn't plugged in then it will give him the exact symptoms that he is experiencing right now.

Again:
-make sure 4/8 pin cpu power connector is plugged in properly
-make sure 20/24 pin power connector is plugged in properly
-Try with 1 stick of ram, video card, and processor. Detach everything else
-Check for shorts (and consider building on a static free surface outside the case to make sure there are no shorts)
-make sure you have spacers between the case back plate and the mother board
-make sure that the gpu is seated correctly and is plugged in properly (the 4870 requires 2 6pin connectors)

tonitelaoag

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
unplug the power, first thing to do is reseat all the memory including the video card, when its done,power it on, if your lcd has auto button press it to check your cpu signal if analog or digital. when it post showing some bios info, its done.

OldCode101

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
There is now an known issue with the HD4870 1GB card. I am working with engineers over at AMD to find a solution. I will be updating my blog with information as it becomes available to me.

Right now I am waiting on a few test cards to arrive to see if I can reproduce in my scenario.