New mobo input.

AboutBlank06

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Hey guys, I'm looking for a solid chipset/mobo for my Q6600, my EVGA Nforce780i SLI FTW board seems to have a bad memory controller in it, same thing that plagued the same board before that. I don't do a whole lot of overclocking so that isn't a very big deal to me. Please no EVGA boards, I've since boycotted them and their terrible hardware.

I was looking at GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R and was hoping to see some input from the community.

Thanks

The GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R that you have selected is one of the best LGA 775 board available now...But what graphics card do you have ?
The reason am asking you this is because the board has 2 PCIe slots and support only crossfire...
So if you have a nvidia card, you can get the board which has only a single PCIe slot and save some cash...

And starams5 I wouldn't again suggest a nvidia chipset mobo for him...
AboutBlank06 there is no problem with the EVGA's quality...it is the nvidia 7X0i chipset that is the cause for all your problems...
If you check in the net, you can see that those chipsets are plagued with incompatibility issues...

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Sli, as in EVGA Nforce780i SLI does not=ATI. He said he was looking for a new motherboard, he said nothing about a new build. You're recommending a board that uses DDR2 1366. The Q6600 has a 1066 bus speed, and his current ram is DDR2 800, maybe he has 1066 ram but in reality its still 6400. Now he has to buy ram as well. I'll half agree with you on one thing, most Q6600 user are not having problems with the 7xx nVidia chipsets, however, the new Quads/nVidia chipsets are plagued with issues. The 790i was supposed to have addressed many of these problems but I have not seen any info to support that one way or the other. Most "E" series users are having no problems whatsoever.

Do you even know what you are talking about... :non:
If you dont have much knowledge about how RAM speed works and about the mobo specs better not suggest anything... :sarcastic:
If the mobo has DDR2 1366 means it is even compatible with that speed and not that it accepts only that speed...So a DDR2 800 RAM would work just fine on that mobo...
And me about supporting EVGA :p They have one of the best rated X58 boards around so I had said that the company's products are generally good and the chipsets are the source of the problems...

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Your missing the whole point, who would want DDR2 800 ram if the board supports 1366, are going to buy him some new ATI video cards to replace the nVidia cards he already has? I have been building and selling systems for years. But I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything, I suggest you do the same and stop acting like you do......This is the second time you told me what not to suggest.

^ Has the OP anywhere said he has 2 nvidia cards ?
And if your mobo supports higher spec components, it is not that you have to get those...
And if you check my other posts, I keep learning things and if I dont know something I openly accept...So you do the same too...
I dont specifically comment about other user's recommendation unless there is some problem with it...If it is a good suggestion, I would also stand by that...
So it would just be a coincidence that I would have said twice not to suggest...

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
He didn't say anything about ATI either but you recommended an ATI board. 98% of the time an nVidia Sli Chipset=nVidia video cards, you should have picked up on this right away. You would have to totally clueless to buy ATI cards for an nVidia chipset which has Sli support, he don't appear to be lame to me. Why don't we just ask him. aboutblank, which video cards are you running?

Did you read my first post here ?
Read that and comment...

redcloud157

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Someone asks a question and all this retoric leaves whomever asked with nothing, please keep answers for the person who asks and not for personal quaralling etc. Thanks people!!! Just a thought!
Appreciate all the good advice!!

AboutBlank06

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for all the input guys, im still not certian. This might help though.

Q6600
4gb Ballistix 1066 ram
1 8800 GTS(512)
1 WD 150g velociraptor
1 Seagate 1.5TB
850 antec psu.

I did have 2 8800GTS's but with the second one in the board gave me more problems so I lent it to a friend. I figure i'll just wait a bit and get either next gen or like a 285 or something.

^ I guess you can stick with the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R that you had in mind...
It is a solid board with very good features...
And as for the graphics card, what resolution do you play at ?
If it is less than 1900X1200, the GTX 285 is not a good value...You can get the GTX 275, which performs about the same at that resolution and is about $80-$100 less...

And a general suggestion about graphics card...You must have heard about the ATI 4770s...
There is a TOM's article about 4770 Crossfire, which you can take a look at...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-4770-crossfire,2288.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-graphics,2296.html

As that mobo will have crossfire support, then why not try that ? It will cost about $200 or $220 and performs better than the HD 4890 and nearly as good as the GTX 285...

Well looking at our discussions, I feel it was still related to the topic and such heated discussions are pretty much common in the forums...

AboutBlank06

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm not to picky, right now I just play on a 22incher so 1680x1050, the games are a little more challenging though, I do like to play at max settings.

I wasn't that big of a fan of ATI, I had one of those bad ass 9800 pros but the driver support was terrible and really turned me off, Could possibly go back though. I wish I could just go back to my Abit boards! :(

^ For that resolution, the GTX 275 is more than suffice...actually the GTX 260 Core 216 is the best option currently but as we all know the games will become more and more demanding, so the GTX 275 is a good option...

But like I said before, the 4770 crossfire is very attractive and that price point, there is no match for it...and the articles that I have linked, say the same...