touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Only the intel X58 chipset and nVidia chipsets support SLI and the nVidia chipsets for AMD boards dont get stellar reviews unless you are going the i7 route you are restricted to either a lesser motherboard or CF only.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/SLI-Nvidia-Gigabyte,7330.html

"For Gigabyte's EX58-UD4, the method does work according to the PC Home Advance article. The magazine managed to flash the motherboard with the latest F6 Gigabyte EX58-UD4P (note the "P") Nvidia SLI-certified BIOS and actually enable SLI on the cheaper EX58-UD4 model. Ironically, the EX58-UD4 offers CrossFire multi-GPU setups right out of the box, so by flashing the BIOS, the board thus supports both CrossFire and SLI. Coolness."

That says that the "p" means that sli is supported. the mobo i have selected is ud5p. That's the article on unlocking SLI on a non-sli gigabyte mobo. however it says the p at the end is what makes the mobo sli compatible...

There are no SLI AM3 boards. Blame nVidia. I don't think they will release any new chipsets for AMD platforms and they haven't offered the ability for board partners to add SLI to AMD chipsets like they did for Intel's X58 chipset. The only way to get SLI on an AM3 platform is by using hacked drivers.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
That really sucks. It almost makes me not want to buy from Nvidia. However, as a consumer i have to buy what is best for the money, and there is no way to predict that two years down the road.

The only solution to this problem would be to go the i7 route. What do you guys think? There is a $123 difference between my AM3 build and i7 build (all parts from Newegg). I am not even sure if i would do SLI/CF, but i like having my options open too. Is the i7 with SLI worth the extra $123?

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Actually with rebates it's only a $106 difference. That's also with the processor from Newegg. Someone told me that i could get a core i7 920 from Micro Center for $200, but i can't even find an i7 920 on Micro Center's site...

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
well either you didn't read my post, or somehow you don't place a lot of importance on getting the best value out of your hardware. who's to say that ATI will still be offering the best $200 deal (2xhd4770's) a year from now? As a consumer i would like the option to choose.

does that make any sense?