Having problems with c omputer, random and sudden

djszkoda

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Hi,

All of a sudden, my computer is having issues. After reformatting the PC after a virus, there seems to be much larger problems.

First, the computer doesn't shut down by itself. It hangs at the shutting down screen. It may occasionally turn off, but that's very rare. It shut down once or twice, completely out of nowhere.

Also, now, the USB mouse does not work at all. The lights stay on until the boot window is halfway done loading and it just doesn't work.

Is this a faulty power supply, or another faulty piece of hardware? Or is it just software issues?

Running XP w/ SP3 (after uninstalling SP3, and installing SP2)

CmdPT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Well I'm guessing it might be the SP3. AMD CPU is having issues with SP3 and I'm not sure if they have fixed that issue yet, so that might be the problem. If you could get you're computer to reformat again from clean install because you already have installed SP3 so not really sure how that would go on about. So it might be better reformatting and using SP2 and go on from there.

Also what kind of PSU do you have?

djszkoda

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Generic PSU, 350W I believe.

By the way, that was a typo. I have SP2 installed atm, I uninstalled SP3 and then installed SP2. Might have screwed something up, I suppose.

djszkoda

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
The computer is now behaving erratically and going into blue screen. Hard drive locks up (seems to), and still gets BSOD during installation and reformat.

CmdPT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I'm guessing it could be either your PSU or the Hardisk itself that's failing.

Generic PSU are the most **** PSU you can get and it dies on you pretty quickly.