How Do I SLI?

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Hello, simple question!

i already know u plug the two identical cards into ur pcie slots then connect them with a bridge but i have some quick questions first. do i need a special "SLI" type video card for one of them? or can i just get two independent cards as if i were going to use them separately or whatever, then just use the SLI cable provided by my motherboard? if not, can you pls gimme a newbie explanation on how? thanks! =)

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
You need two of the same cards (not like an 8800GT and a 8600GT), a SLI supported motherboard, and the SLi connector for the cards.

All of todays video cards support SLi/Crossfire.

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
oh shoot one more question... right now i have an 8800 gt 512mb alphadog edition. i cant find another reasonably priced one online haha. can i just get any 8800gt? or do i have to be aware of certain things like the amount of memory or anything like that?

soark

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Same memory. but if you got a new gfx @ normal clocks the xfx will lower the clocks to be at par with the new gfx.
You could always overclock them both.

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
hmm... sorry you got me a little confused. are you saying my card comes stock overclocked? and if i get a new card thats at normal clock, it will automatically bring my card to normal clock? or are you saying i have to bring it down to normal clock? as for OCing gpus, how hards that? ive only done my CPU and that was just a few days ago. learned in like a couple hours, then completed in the span of a few days lol.

EDIT: also, what exactly is oced on a gpu anyway?