Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Advantage of HDT and Dual Fans?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 16, 2010 3:23:01 AM

Been looking for a new cooler, and I'm just wondering if anybody has had any personal experiences with the difference between direct heatpipe to CPU contact and...not direct contact, and the difference between one and two fans on a particular heatsink. should i be actively looking for a dual fanned heatsink? i know the performance is slightly better, but the sound is also slightly more. but if i can find a better single fanned heatsink, i should go for that (and limit any "upgrade" option (yes, i know i can just buy a new heatsink, but a new fan is always cheaper))? and i know i shouldn't lap a HDT cooler, so i'm thinking there actually may be potential that a non-HDT cooler will perform better?
June 17, 2010 2:54:59 PM

nobody knows anything?
m
l
June 17, 2010 10:49:55 PM

theoretically...direct heatpipes are suposed to work better because the conduct more heat then the reg heatsink.

being able or not being able to lap a heatsink wont matter that much. i lapped my heatsink to a mirror finish on both the cpu and the heatsink and i didnt even see any change in temps. im thinkin about buying a thinner more conductive thermal paste to utilize the mirror finish but i really dont need to because my watercooled loop is working just fine without it.

with your fan issue normally 2 fans is ALWAYS better then 1 fan.

soo...hdt is better then non hdt even though you cannot lap it. and 2 fans are better then 1 fan.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 197 K Overclocking
June 18, 2010 6:30:21 AM

Actually, you can lap an HDT. You just usually don't need to. And with the general overall improvement in the finishes on the bottom of the heatsinks, the necessity of lapping has pretty much gone away.

And a mirror finish is not necessarily flat. It's just really shiny.

And two fans may be better than one. A lot depends on the case you are using. Only way to know is to try it and see if your CPU temps are lower with two fans.

In my three systems (1 TRUE and 2 Xig DK's), all highly overclocked, all in Antec 900 cases, using two fans gave me no improvement.
June 18, 2010 12:38:42 PM

when you use 800 grit till its freaking shiny then im pretty sure its like 100% flat dude
m
l
June 22, 2010 5:21:25 PM

Best answer selected by shadows1123.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2010 5:45:15 AM

I have an Antec 902 case with a Scythe Mugen 2 with two fans (stock + Yate Loon 90CFM fan) and I didn't really see much of a difference by adding the YL fan, maybe 1-2°C at most. My SM2 has similar performance to jsc's TRUE and Xig DK's, so I have to agree with what he says.

I'd suggest the Cooler Master 212+, just cause it's cheap and works as well as any of the bigger ones.
m
l
!