Upgrading Memory, Nee d some help.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Last time I posted on these forums was about 4 years ago when I built my computer. It has definitely been more than adequate in the time being, but I would like to upgrade a few things on it. First and foremost, I would like to upgrade the memory. Let me list some specs..

AMD 3700+ 2.2GHz
DFI LanParty SLI-DR (supports 64-bit)
Nvidia BFG 7800 GTX
1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer
74GB WD Raptor
320GB WD
600W PSU

My biggest question is that I am unsure of which type of RAM I can purchase. Since the motherboard is so old, I can't find online the requirements for it. I believe it is 184-PIN for the RAM and the CPU is socket 939. Does anyone know what kind of RAM I can purchase? When I first purchased the RAM 4 years ago, I got the Ballistix which were PC 3200, not sure what the tracers are or what I can purchase beyond 3200. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

Yes, that is the board I have. So does that mean I am limited to PC3200 as well? Man, I've been out of the loop for so long, they have DDR2 and DDR3 now. Geez.... I can't find any 2x2gb PC 3200 either, looks like I might have to upgrade Mobo.

^ Well it would just be waste of money investing on that old mobo and RAM...
Save some more cash and change the PC altogether...
Actually for about $150-$180, you can get a Dual-core CPU+Mobo_ 4GB DDR2 800 RAM...

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

Do you have anymore information on where to get that at that price as well as specific names of products?

pc3200 is the right choice....... if over clocking ddr500....... might be tough to find and not worth the extra expense. Having said that, the system isn't worth upgrading. The video card and the processor are both going to slow you down with new games. If you feel you need to because you can't afford a major upgrade........ at least 2gig pc3200 and a 9600gt or above. Good Luck.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Yeah I realize my system is a bit antiquated. I mainly use it for playing CS: Source and building BlackBerry themes. Don't really need to do anything too intensive. Anyways, I wanted to get about 6 yrs out of this comp (at 4 now). Do you think its wise to drop a lot of cash every 5 or 6 years to get top of the line stuff, or update every 2-3 years to get mid-range products? I think I'm going to get some extra RaM and maybe the thermaltake Armor series case in anticipation of my new system in a year or year and a half. Thanks for all your help so far!

Not very expensive mother boards, fast memory, a medium range quad core and a decent graphics card are all that's needed for your situation..... and to be honest, for the exception of high end graphics, it's what I build for myself anymore. If what you say is true don't spend a nickle on what you have. A year goes by quite quickly. Save your money and rebuild next year. Get the case you think you might want. It won't ever go bad if you know what I mean.
I just helped my nephew build a machine. AMD Q2.8, $109 gigabyte board, pc8500, cheap 320 hd and I gave him my 4870. With the memory un-ganged it's the fastest machine I ever sat behind.... wasn't that expensive.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I installed two really cheap Crucial Ballistix 2x512 to bring my total memory to 2GB. the Ballistix are PC 3200@200mhz 2-2-2-6 and the 2x512 Tracers are PC4000 @ 250mhz 2.5-4-4-8. Both run at 2.8V. Which timings do I set my RAM to in BIOS, the loosest settings right? And if I were to do a slight overclock, how would I go about doing that? Thanks!