Power Supply Requirement?

Hi all, I am building a system (boy it's been a long time since I built one) with the following components. What kind of power supply can I use that would work?

1. Q9550 Core Quad
2. Foxconn G45M-S LGA 775 Intel G45 HDMI (X4500HD graphic card on board)
3. LG Black 6X BD-ROM DVD RW
4. 4G DDR2
5. 1T Seagate Baracuda

This will be used primarily for HTPC purpose and not for gaming much. So can I get by with the following power supply?

APEVIA X-QPACK with 420W PSU
+3.3V - 31A
+5V - 29A
+12V1 - 14A
+12V2 - 16A
-12V - 0.8A
-5V - 0.3A
+5VSB - 2.0A

420W Max all across those outputs
15 answers Last reply
More about power supply requirement
  1. Yes, you can get by mainly because the system has very few components and you are going to use on-board graphics. Just don't expect much in the way of high performance.
  2. Ok it's good to know that PSU would work without a dedicated GPU card. What if I want to add ATI Radeon HD 4830 later on? would I then have to move up? What would be the desired PSU wattage in that case?
  3. A single ATI Radeon HD 4830 video card uses about 100 watts and about 8 amps at load so you should be okay. It's not a very power hungry video card.
  4. Apevia PSU's really ... , well, let's just say that you can move golf balls through garden hoses with them.
  5. You guys are all giving some great advice to a noob here. I read somewhere that number of rails can make a difference. With my set up (including the future purchase, ATI Radeon HD 4830), am I better off going with single rail 12V or multiple rails? I am confused even after I read it. There doesn't seem to be a "set" way to tell which way to go... Specifically, I am looking to replace the stock 420W PSU with this one.

http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDetailsPower.asp?item=NW-650B&details=spec&subcategory=120mm&category=single
  6. A 300 will be fine. With no graphics card you really could get by with about 250 but 300 would be better. Though if you are planning on adding a video card you need to get a bigger PSU to prepare your system.
  7. And Ultra and Thermaltake make the best PSU's.
  8. mamw93 said:
    And Ultra and Thermaltake make the best PSU's.

Not really...

They aren't bad, but Corsair and PC Power and Cooling are better, for example. Seasonic is excellent too.
  9. +1 what cjl said

I read the Tom's Hardware "how to" article about building a HTPC and bookmarked it for future reference. The article recommended the Corsair VX450 power supply.
  10. JohnnyLucky said:
    +1 what cjl said

I read the Tom's Hardware "how to" article about building a HTPC and bookmarked it for future reference. The article recommended the Corsair VX450 power supply.

Looks good except it's not mATX I am looking for. My case is Apevia X QPACK. So it's pretty small. Do you guys have something in mind that would work?
  11. I just took a look at the photos over at newegg.com. Not much room at all.

Here's a link to a whole webpage full of micro-ATX power supplies:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058%201131310094&name=MicroATX
  12. None of those look very good though. IIRC, Seasonic makes some PSUs that fit microATX.
  13. cjl said:
    None of those look very good though. IIRC, Seasonic makes some PSUs that fit microATX.

From what I can see their max Watt is around 300W. If I were to play 3D games in the future, wouldn't I need something bigger? I was looking at the recommended PSU for ATI Radeon HD 4830, it says 550W in crossfire, 450W single. I can probably get by with 420W in Apevia QPACK, but just want to address these issues before I jump in and buy it.

I just don't want any trouble that I have had in the past with a PSU that took my hard drives and everything else with it when it went.

That would be a big ouch.
  14. For an htpc you'll need a video card if you want any kind of good playback quality. I suggest the 9800 GT. Good for gaming and GREAT for Blu Ray.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product