Sign in with
Your question

How to manage an EISA(hidden) partition?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Partition
  • Windows Vista
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 2, 2010 10:29:54 AM

I got an Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 3540 Notebook that came with a hidden partition for recovery purposes. The laptop is running windows Vista Home Edition and the partition is for restoring Vista. I want to remove Windows Vista for replacing it with another OS(thinking WindowsXP) and restructure the partitions to something that's more practical for me.

So, I want to replace Vista, making the hidden partition useless, and also totally format my hard-drive. But, before I format the hard-drive, I would like to extract the hidden partition, clean the Vista installation(from all the crap 3rd party software that it preinstalls) and write it to a DVD, just to be safe.

So:
How to extract what's on the hidden partition?
How would I clean up the Vista installation and make it boot up like a standard Vista DVD?
How would I delete or recreate the EISA partition?
Is it safe? - seeing how slow Vista is running I would take the chance anyways, but heard something about notebooks that have the bios locked to only one OS or something like that

Thanks for your time.

More about : manage eisa hidden partition

a c 101 G Storage
July 2, 2010 2:21:56 PM

When you install XP (or any other version of Windows) you will have the option to delete the previous partitions and create new ones. That will take care of your partition and new install issue.

Copying the hidden partition is easy as well. Download a copy of Ubuntu linux and burn it to to CD. Then boot from the Ubuntu CD and use the tools on it (don't install Ubuntu, only run it from the CD) to burn a copy of the partition to a CD/DVD.

Yes, it is safe. Make sure you download all of the needed drivers, in advance, for the OS you plan to install.

Good luck!
July 2, 2010 5:21:11 PM

COLGeek said:
When you install XP (or any other version of Windows) you will have the option to delete the previous partitions and create new ones. That will take care of your partition and new install issue.

Copying the hidden partition is easy as well. Download a copy of Ubuntu linux and burn it to to CD. Then boot from the Ubuntu CD and use the tools on it (don't install Ubuntu, only run it from the CD) to burn a copy of the partition to a CD/DVD.

Yes, it is safe. Make sure you download all of the needed drivers, in advance, for the OS you plan to install.

Good luck!

Seeing that the Disk Manager in Vista didn't let me modify the partition I thought that you can't modify it whit the installation setup either. Also that's not the first step I want to do.

Also the hidden partitions is bigger then 8gb to write on a DVD. And I want to clean the Vista installation before I write it.

Thanks for the tips. More details would be appreciated.
a c 101 G Storage
July 3, 2010 9:00:55 PM

Step 1: DL Ubuntu and burn to disk.
Step 2: Boot from Ubuntu CD and run Ubuntu from CD (don't install)
Step 3: If the files on the hidden partition exceeds 8GB, copy them to a removable HD. Partition size and file size are not likely to be the same.
Step 4: Verify on another machine that the files are readable.
Step 5: Install new Windows OS and remove all current partitions when prompted.
Optional Step 6: If Windows still can't see the hidden partition. Boot with Ubuntu and use GParted to wipe the partitions on the HDD and then proceed with Step 5.

Does this help?
!