Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading motherboard, moving existing RAID setup.

Last response: in Storage
July 2, 2010 12:45:48 PM

Hello, I'm in the process of upgrading my current motherboard, "MSI 785 gm-e65" to a "Asus Crosshair IV Formula" I already have an existing RAID setup on the MSI board, 2 Seagate 1TB's, and was wondering if when i set these 2 HDD's up in the same RAID config on the ASUS board, will all of my improtant DATA still be there, will all of this still work properly? Thanks to anyone in advance that can help me with this. The 2TB Raid is over half full, with alot of important data.

My setup:

MSI 785 gm-e65 Mobo
Amd Phenom II 955 BE CPU
Corsair H50 CPU cooler
8 GB Corsair Dominator 1333
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Diablotek 850W PSU
1 32GB Patroit SSD
2 1TB Seagate Barracuda's
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 3, 2010 6:06:52 PM

It "should" work. It looks like you are moving from a SB700 to an SB850 controller, which is why I say should.

However, it would be a REALLY good idea to backup your data prior to the move.
m
l
July 5, 2010 2:45:54 PM

Yes, the MSI board has the SB700 controller, I figured there would be a small possibility, considering they are both AMD chipsets. Thanks for your help. My only concern now is HOW to back up over a TB of Data without any other large capacity drives, or externals. It might have to be the old fashoned DVD backups. could take weeks. :( 
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 5, 2010 2:57:19 PM

Yah, thats an issue, I would suggest some temporary online storage services, but at that capacity it would be cheaper to just buy an external storage solution of some sort.
m
l
July 6, 2010 5:58:02 PM

canadian69 said:
Yah, thats an issue, I would suggest some temporary online storage services, but at that capacity it would be cheaper to just buy an external storage solution of some sort.

For some reason, like a month back, the MSI board would not post windows anymore. i've tried everything, including clean installs, different versions of windows, different hard drives, even different video cards, my last assumption would have to be the motherboard. i've been using linux mint for the meantime, and that wouldn't be a problem, cause i like linux, but i'm a musician, and all of my software is only supported by windows.
m
l
!