Windows XP Corrupt Hardware and No Sound

Keytask

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Okay, all of a sudden my speakers have stopped working. They were working earlier and I've had this problem before, but I forgot what I did to solve it. I was on YouTube and suddenly, there was no sound coming out of my speakers and they were on. No matter how I adjusted the volume, no sound came out.

So, I found a solution one online (That did nothing, by the way.) and it said to go to Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager and I noticed there was corrupted hardware. The troubleshooting button was of no help. Please help me resolve this problem.

Keytask

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
No, that didn't work either. There are two drivers that are corrupt, but one is the DVD-ROM so I know that isn't causing the problem. The other one however is HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B and I honestly have no idea what that one is. I looked at the Properties and this is what it said, "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

Keytask

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Okay, just wondering. I'll deal with those later...

Ah, that's another problem. The Volume column is grayed out and it says that there is no sound device, but have my speakers hooked up correctly.

Keytask

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I finally found a solution. I had to go to the Dell website and update the audio driver. Then I had to go to Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio, Sounds and change the sounds to Creative SB Live. Emerald, thanks for your help though.