Sign in with
Your question

Disabling Cool n' Quiet in Windows 7

Last response: in Overclocking
June 16, 2010 3:58:32 PM

Hi,
in short: is there a way to disable AMD Cool n' Quiet in windows 7? I mean an utility or something...

Details:
For a while now i noticed (well it was hard not to notice) that sometimes while playing a game the framerate drops so much it's totally unplayable, even if there was no change in the scene drawn => not a graphics issue => CPU issue. So I checked what could be loading my cpu so much, and I found that the cool n quiet kicks in even if the cpu is under load and lowers the frequency to from 2400 to 800mhz and raises it back after a few seconds. The cpu temperature is about 65°C which really isn't that much to lower frequency...
So... is there a way to force a frequency from windows or disable cool n quiet feature?
Before you post the obvious: YES, I have High Performance power plan on, YES, the processor min/max state is set to 100% in detailed options, NO, there is not an option for it (or almost anything but boot devices and time) in BIOS, and NO, the cpu is not overheated.
The machine is a laptop Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Sa3650
Please help, I'm desperate
a c 159 à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
a c 286 K Overclocking
June 16, 2010 4:58:12 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The AMD Cool'n'Quite should be disable from the BIOS and not from the OS and until I know isn't possible disable it from the OS.

Try enter to the BIOS and look for the Cool'n'Quite option.
June 17, 2010 5:38:45 AM

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The AMD Cool'n'Quite should be disable from the BIOS and not from the OS and until I know isn't possible disable it from the OS.

Try enter to the BIOS and look for the Cool'n'Quite option.

Hi, thanks for your welcome but as I said in the post above, there is no option for disabling cool n quite in BIOS, or anything power related. The only options you can set in Fujitsu-Siemens laptop bios is time, password, activate wlan, and boot priority. That's why I need to do it from windows.

Then, if there's no way to disable it, can I force the cpu clock to stay at 2400Mhz at least?
a c 159 à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
a c 286 K Overclocking
June 17, 2010 1:45:15 PM

Ok, after look for some things in Google I find this:

"i know that in windows you can disable cool n quiet in Power Management in the control panel but it wont take care of anything in the registry. In the registry you should be able to search for specific registry keys and delete them.

When your in the registry try this: click edit, then click find, and type in something like "AMD Cool n quiet" or "AMD Driver." if the first result doesn't give you anything then keep clicking 'find next' in the 'edit' menu. The keys your wanting should have cool n quiet somewhere in the filename. All you have to do is right click the registry key and click delete.

You might also want to give this program called Regseeker a try. It should clean out any registry item that isn't needed or in use. all you have to do is google Regseeker and you should have no problems finding it. "

And this other link can help u.

Don't worry for the "Windows Vista" is the same thing for Windows 7. Let me know if this works.
!