Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU Frequency underclocked by a third? Confused.

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
June 16, 2010 5:24:16 PM

You could probably call me a noob overclocker since I only started doing this yesterday, so forgive me if I've just made an incredibly silly mistake.

But when I was trying to overclock my E8400 from 333 Bus freq (3ghz) to 351 (3.16ghz, same as an E8500, I wanted to go further than this but wanted to take it in steps) OCCT said there was some sort of error, so I put it back to default.

Could anyone help me with this, and why it would not work even at that low overclock, on a supposedly good overclocking processor?

Also
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2010 5:29:37 PM

joshphillips999 said:
<_< since i'm not allowed to edit messages, I meant to write:

Also, another problem is that OCCT shows my processor being 33.4% underclocked, at 1998Mhz for some strange reason, and I don't really understand this. It changes a bit, too. I might just be being a noob, but I don't understand why this is happening.



Is that under load? or not? If it's not under load, then it is the system downclocking itself to save power. This is normal, and nothing to worry about.
June 16, 2010 5:30:34 PM

<_< since i'm not allowed to edit messages, I meant to write:

Also, another problem is that OCCT shows my processor being 33.4% underclocked, at 1998Mhz for some strange reason, and I don't really understand this. It changes a bit, too. I might just be being a noob, but I don't understand why this is happening.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2010 5:33:19 PM

The most likely cause is the fact that the FSB also drives memory speeds. And while you may get away with a healthy 20 or 30% increase on the processor; the chances of you accomplishing the same with your RAM are exceedingly small.

UNDER~clock your memory prior to raising the FSB so you have headroom there.
June 16, 2010 5:40:44 PM

Scotteq said:
Is that under load? or not? If it's not under load, then it is the system downclocking itself to save power. This is normal, and nothing to worry about.


oh yeah it wasn't under load. I had a feeling I made a silly mistake with that one :) 

Thanks.

And from your other post, are you basically saying I should underclock the FSB then clock it upwards gradually?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2010 6:00:46 PM

What happens is when you raise the FSB to increase your processor, it takes the MEMORY along with it. Memory doesn't like being overclocked very much. So you have to allow for that.

You accomplish that by setting the Memory Divider so your RAM runs slower than it is rated to. (i.e. set DDR2 800 to run at 667 or slower) This way when you increase the FSB to raise your processor speed.... It also raises the memory.... But because your RAM was UNDER clocked to begin with, you're still safe.


I would offer suggestions, but you have provided no system information besides processor type.
June 16, 2010 7:27:25 PM

Scotteq said:
What happens is when you raise the FSB to increase your processor, it takes the MEMORY along with it. Memory doesn't like being overclocked very much. So you have to allow for that.

You accomplish that by setting the Memory Divider so your RAM runs slower than it is rated to. (i.e. set DDR2 800 to run at 667 or slower) This way when you increase the FSB to raise your processor speed.... It also raises the memory.... But because your RAM was UNDER clocked to begin with, you're still safe.


I would offer suggestions, but you have provided no system information besides processor type.


Thanks for the info.

Like I said, I'm a bit of a noob :lol:  How would I reduce the RAM speed?

Btw, this is my rig:

Gigabyte P35 S-Series motherboard
E8400 dual core processor
4GB DDR2 RAM
GTS 250
600W power supply
June 16, 2010 8:18:14 PM

On easytune6 theres an option to reduce the memory. its currently at 1065mhz. would I reduce that to 667?
June 16, 2010 8:36:31 PM

if i want to get each bus to 400mhz (3.6ghz), that is.
June 16, 2010 10:16:18 PM

Oh wait, the options are, downwards from 1065, on memory:

799
666

Shall I go 799 or 666 if I want 400mhz on each bus? Bearing in mind it was at 1065 before and it was fine then...
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
June 17, 2010 4:03:19 PM

At stock speed, it worked before because your memory settings were on Auto and, while the FSB frequency was 333 MHz, your RAM clock was at 1066 MHz (overclocked). That frequency was selected automatically by the BIOS when it read the contents of the SPD chip in the memory sticks.

Raising the FSB freq to 351 MHz raised the RAM clock to 351/333 X 1066 or about 1123 MHz which is clearly past the capabilities of your memory.

At stock speed, select the 666 Mhz option (should be 667 but you have a tiny round down error). Better yet, learn to use the BIOS.

Then start overclocking.
June 17, 2010 4:30:08 PM

jsc said:
At stock speed, it worked before because your memory settings were on Auto and, while the FSB frequency was 333 MHz, your RAM clock was at 1066 MHz (overclocked). That frequency was selected automatically by the BIOS when it read the contents of the SPD chip in the memory sticks.

Raising the FSB freq to 351 MHz raised the RAM clock to 351/333 X 1066 or about 1123 MHz which is clearly past the capabilities of your memory.

At stock speed, select the 666 Mhz option (should be 667 but you have a tiny round down error). Better yet, learn to use the BIOS.

Then start overclocking.


So 667 would be fine for 400mhz?

Thanks for the response btw.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 17, 2010 5:23:28 PM

joshphillips999 said:
Oh wait, the options are, downwards from 1065, on memory:

799
666

Shall I go 799 or 666 if I want 400mhz on each bus? Bearing in mind it was at 1065 before and it was fine then...




Set it to 666 for now - Then when you are done witn your processor overclock you can revisit later.
June 17, 2010 9:23:25 PM

Scotteq said:
Set it to 666 for now - Then when you are done witn your processor overclock you can revisit later.


Hmm, I have clocked it to 666. From there easytune6 asks me to reboot for these changes to go into effect, then I restart and its back at 1065 again. I didn't try to change them both at the same time (bus speed and memory), as that caused a total permanent freeze, causing me to have to press the off button on the pc case itself.

There are options to save this setting, so I did make a save file of it, but then when I load it, theres no difference. its still 1065.

The program runs on startup so that can't be causing it. I litterally have no idea why this is happening :/ 

Have you got any idea?
June 17, 2010 9:30:01 PM

I've also just realised that after clicking 'set' for the 666 memory setting, a few seconds later, it goes straight back to 1065. so that must be the problem, but obviously I just need to find out why, which I have no idea, lol.
!