Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Thermaltake Lanbox gaming system

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 4, 2009 12:40:18 PM

Hello all!

I was wondering if it is at all possible to build powerful system based on mATX mobo? I understand that there are no possibilities to make crossfire or sli system in such a small package, but still is it possible to have a good gaming station?

I like Lanbox case and reviews are good, but what it would require to make it run GTA4 (just for performance measure not big fan of it =) smoothly and in good quality?

concerning the space, I intend to occupy inside of the case just with the most necessary of things:

mobo
cpu
1 HDD
RAM
video

I will not use dvd and for storage will use lan drive storage.


So to summ it all up:

1. is it at all possible?
2. what parts would make it possible?

Thanx in advance!!!


January 4, 2009 1:41:16 PM

From what I've read, GTA4 really likes a quad-core CPU; any Core 2 Quad will probably do fine. Also, since you can't have SLI or Crossfire, you could get a Radeon HD4870 X2, which only needs one PCIe slot. You'll want at least 4GB of RAM, and you could get a Velociraptor for the hard drive.
January 4, 2009 2:25:23 PM

Fausts said:
Hello all!

I was wondering if it is at all possible to build powerful system based on mATX mobo? I understand that there are no possibilities to make crossfire or sli system in such a small package, but still is it possible to have a good gaming station?

I like Lanbox case and reviews are good, but what it would require to make it run GTA4 (just for performance measure not big fan of it =) smoothly and in good quality?

concerning the space, I intend to occupy inside of the case just with the most necessary of things:

mobo
cpu
1 HDD
RAM
video

I will not use dvd and for storage will use lan drive storage.


So to summ it all up:

1. is it at all possible?
2. what parts would make it possible?

Thanx in advance!!!


You can do SLI or CrossFire in Micro ATX, DFI makes the motherboards for it. That could be a good performance value, because two HD 4830 graphics cards are still relatively inexpensive.
Related resources
January 4, 2009 3:12:30 PM

Thanx for info guys! I was just wondering if corssfire of 2 hd4870 wouldn't toast the whole system, afteral its quite cramped there? And what would work better dual card regime or one top end, for example 2 hd4870 or one 4870x2 (heard these are really loud ones)?

Also just popped into my mind, what if go OC route and add water cooling (i know its complicated and not cheap).

So many options, but really what would give out the best performance/effectivnes? Damn, I am so lost ... =(
January 4, 2009 3:27:48 PM

I am certain an X2 will not fit in a lanbox. That thing is incredibly long.
January 5, 2009 5:17:18 AM

I actually just built a a thermaltake lanbox system with the intel DFI motherboard suggested above, and I can confirm that a single HD4870 fits very well. It's easier if you remove the hard-drive rack and mount the hard-drive in the floppy slot, but it is doable in either case.

I originally thought that it's size and poor airflow would cause massively horrible temps, but so far I'm doing great with temps. Let me know if you have any questions about my build.
January 6, 2009 4:34:03 AM

thekyle said:
I actually just built a a thermaltake lanbox system with the intel DFI motherboard suggested above, and I can confirm that a single HD4870 fits very well. It's easier if you remove the hard-drive rack and mount the hard-drive in the floppy slot, but it is doable in either case.

I originally thought that it's size and poor airflow would cause massively horrible temps, but so far I'm doing great with temps. Let me know if you have any questions about my build.


Then there is no way to make this small package work in crossfire, right? If so, then what about hibrid crossfire, maybe its worth to go amd route, get a good mobo with 780g(x) (f) (still got no clue what difference) AMD cpu and 4870 ati card. As far as I understand the importance is in GPU not CPU and AMD should be enough to handle even the most demanding single VGA? Also this system would be cheaper. What do you think guys?

Thanx all for insights so far ;) 
January 6, 2009 4:40:26 AM

thekyle said:
I actually just built a a thermaltake lanbox system with the intel DFI motherboard suggested above, and I can confirm that a single HD4870 fits very well. It's easier if you remove the hard-drive rack and mount the hard-drive in the floppy slot, but it is doable in either case.

I originally thought that it's size and poor airflow would cause massively horrible temps, but so far I'm doing great with temps. Let me know if you have any questions about my build.


BTW Kyle was referring to 4870x2 do you have this card or just HD 4870 in your system?
January 6, 2009 5:22:14 AM

Actually, I just have a standard Sapphire HD4870, but I imagine that the x2 would fit just fine. The two DFI boards are great, but most likely will need the latest firmware to detect the x2 though.
January 6, 2009 6:42:28 AM

thekyle said:
Actually, I just have a standard Sapphire HD4870, but I imagine that the x2 would fit just fine. The two DFI boards are great, but most likely will need the latest firmware to detect the x2 though.


Sorry, Fly was referring to X2 card.

So anybody got thoughts on proposed AMD option?
January 6, 2009 1:30:28 PM

thekyle said:
Actually, I just have a standard Sapphire HD4870, but I imagine that the x2 would fit just fine. The two DFI boards are great, but most likely will need the latest firmware to detect the x2 though.

But the HD 4870 X2 is considerably longer than the HD 4870. Good to know the CrossFire 4870s work though. I would stick with intel, personally.
!