Good Airflow Setup?

foggydj

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Hi, i was wondering if the air flow setup in the attached drawing is correct. I don't have a pic and i'm at work, so i drew the setup. Are fan1 and fan2 too close to each other? My concern is that fan 2 is too close to fan 1 and is causing the air to "bounce back" into the case instead of blowing directly out of the case. I don't know the science behind it, so i'd like to solicit some feedback. Thank you!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE OC 3.8GHz | ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO | G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK | XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512MB | Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W | WD Caviar Blue 500GB | Scythe Kama Angle Rev. B | 2 x GELID FN-FW12-15-B 120mm WING 12 | Windows 7 64-bit | NZXT Apollo

Looks fine although that heat sink L shape is pretty odd. I'd like to see a pick of the actual PC insides. Also, the PSU will act like a weak "top fan". And as for the fan 1 and 2 being close, doesn't matter they're both blowing the same way so it'll just shoot that hot air out faster. Fan 3 should be directly on the heatsinks for max effect but apparently that's not possible.

foggydj

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
It's a Scythe Kama Angle B. Yeah, it's a little odd, but it works pretty good. It keeps my 3.8 GHz AMD II 955 at 60 degrees while running Prime95. I've tried 3 other coolers and they couldn't keep the temp under 65 degrees.

I know there are better heat sinks out there, but this one was easy to install (i didn't want to take off the mobo), quiet (very important), and reasonably priced (around $40 incl. shipping).

I don't have a pic of it, but I attached one that i found on the internet. I'm scared to attach the real pic because my cable management is lacking :(

Pretty cool looking. I wonder if you can flip it around the other way and attach 2 fans directly onto it, one would be over the ram the other over that passive cooler. Guess it depends if it's tall enough but that would help, having the 2 fans. Anyway if it works like that, great.