Is it possible to restore an Intel Debian server to a low power box

itools

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I need to know what parts/system to buy, so that I can port a working Debian Lenny system to a low power server. I want to take a Mondo DVD backup of an Intel server, and restore it on a low power computer.

Maybe an AMD Geode or Via CPU, 512 meg ram, at least 4 gig flash hard disk (although a 2.5 inch IDE hard drive might be better), ethernet, and an optical drive interface, either USB or IDE connector.

Maybe a NAS would work ?

The current server is for email, and has very low cpu usage. A low MIPS computer should work fine. I want to minimize electricity and especially heat. Uptime is not critical, as it's just my personal email. Need some sort of case, looks are not important.

The hard disk currently has about 3 gig of data, and I would prefer not to trim things down in size.

I plan to SSH into this low power computer, although I will probably need to hook up a keyboard and VGA monitor for debugging.

I'm aware that flash drives can wear out after many read/writes, but as long as I can get a year or two usage, I'm willing to replace that part if it happens.

Do I need to install some drivers on my current server, to be ready when it's restored on this low power computer ?

Any comments, suggestions, feedback welcome.

Thanks

mark

itools

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
ghislaing

That's a good question, and I will have to think thru some more.

But even with virtual servers, I want to reduce my electricity usage.

Thanks for the feedback.

mark