Your question

HD4870 1GB flickering issues....

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2009 9:38:50 AM

I have some issues with my Powercolor HD4870 1GB PCS+, I'm not sure whats causing the problem but during windows when having multiple explorer-windows open or installing software in the "background" and especially when running Asus AI suite, the screen frequently flickers (flashes black for a split second) It passes extremely fast but still noticeable, and irritating as you can imagine. I thought it was due to the refresh rate but this one is set to optimal standards (not too high / low) @75hertz (my monitor can handle up to 85). The GPU clock is @780 and memory @925.

During gaming I noticed this as well, I tried NFS undercover and this game runs especially poor...during gameplay i would suddenly get artifacts, lag spikes, cars becoming invisible and/or just rims missing etc, while AA and AF is not even maxed out rest is all @high. I set the resolution to 1280x1024 instead of 1600x1200 but this didn't make a difference same problems still occurred. Some up to now only one game has worked flawless, so I am not sure whats causing this problem.... :heink: 

I also have the latest drivers and ATI catalyst. (I just d/l'd the combo package from ATI site)

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I tried to Google it a bit but couldn't find anything on it...Any input/comments/help is appreciated! ;) 

My system specs:

Winxp SP2 32bit
Phenom 2 940
Asus M3A79-T Deluxe
OCZ pc6400 4GB platinum edition
Powercolor HD4870
OCZ 600W ModXStream

Thanks in advance for the help/input!

More about : hd4870 1gb flickering issues

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2009 10:09:38 AM

what is your problem is that the manufacturer of the card you are using is not so good you should have tried saphire , pallet or sparkle and bfg all that you know .
you can try these hints just min your settings of diplay or re intall your opering system .
or you can uninstall your video card driver use the latest one on ati .
as far as iam concerned you should try nvidia's gtx 280 or 9800X2 or gtx 260 (216 cores).
ok try these things or contact the hardware engineer ok try out them and not overclock your cpu much .
ram should also be like for what is spec 1GB min .
don't use vista if you're using that cause vista is slower than xp or use xp genuine version . if you don't have financial problem use the gtx 260 gtx prices are same as the 4870 .
January 31, 2009 12:34:19 PM

Well, powercolor is actually rated as good as sapphire over here and even has better cooling than sapphire. I actually found out what the issue is, its the ATI Catalyst version 8.12 seems to cause this problem if the memory speed is set above 900mhz and there hasn't been an update yet! So it seems like I have to down-tune my GPU!
Related resources
January 31, 2009 12:41:47 PM

Don't listen to Aftab Powercolor is a decent company and he seems to be a nvidia fanboi ATI and Nvidia are pretty much on par with each other when it come to their midrange cards with both their benefits and cons anyways your solution sounds more vesiable and let us know how it goes! :) 
January 31, 2009 12:52:52 PM

Did some more research and I think i'll try installing 8.11 first, seems to solve the problem for some ppl. Hopefully this accounts for me too!
January 31, 2009 2:42:47 PM

Ok, in the end I only installed rivatuner and turned overdrive off in CatalystCC 8.12. Adjusted the settings accordingly in rivatuner and the problem is solved! So for everyone having this problem, I can only advise to install rivatuner 2.2 and adjust the clock settings to the standard settings of the powercolor HD4870 card or higher if you want and it should still work fine.
February 9, 2009 12:54:30 AM

shugs said:
Ok, in the end I only installed rivatuner and turned overdrive off in CatalystCC 8.12. Adjusted the settings accordingly in rivatuner and the problem is solved! So for everyone having this problem, I can only advise to install rivatuner 2.2 and adjust the clock settings to the standard settings of the powercolor HD4870 card or higher if you want and it should still work fine.

Thanks mate - had exactly the same problem - thought id stuffed something up when installing it (it was pretty dusty inside my case when i whacked it in) - was giving me the ****.

Has been fixed by turning off ATI overdrive and using rivatuner to fix the settings as you suggested

Is interesting - if you're in hardware monitoring mode you can actually see the flickering conicide with a blip showing the change in frequency on the graph
February 10, 2009 6:39:38 AM

applejak26 said:
Thanks mate - had exactly the same problem - thought id stuffed something up when installing it (it was pretty dusty inside my case when i whacked it in) - was giving me the ****.

Has been fixed by turning off ATI overdrive and using rivatuner to fix the settings as you suggested

Is interesting - if you're in hardware monitoring mode you can actually see the flickering conicide with a blip showing the change in frequency on the graph

Np, during gaming i actually realized that 800/925 was too much to handle and I couldn't get it stable. So i ended up going back to original OC 780/925 (even tho factory it is supposed to be 800 according to powercolor, but I received the card w/780mhz). Atleast the games don't random crash anymore. I did some research on it and seems that its is possible related to the powercolor BIOS.

Kinda dissappointed I must say, also my gpu temp stays around 55-60ish full load but - not sure anymore at the moment - I'm almost certain its the memory (memIO) that goes up to 100-110C during full load! Dunno but this kinda frightens me, normally I only payed attention to the cpu temps, but does anyone know if this is an average temp? or too high? Would it help if I add new heatsinks or replace the existing ones? and if so what kind of heatsinks would be advisable?

(This would be the first time for me editing my graphics card) I'm just not sure whether I should just leave the card as is with this temp or not. When I get home in the afternoon I'll post a follow up w/the temps I had recorded during gameplay (sacred 2 - fallen angel).

thanks in advance-

Shugs

PS: I should add that I sometimes still get a VPU recovery error and when I then look at riva tuner monitoring mode, I get the impression that it was at the point where my memory hit 111C for a split second, it then dropped back to 100C. Temps within my case are 25C and 32C when gaming, room temp is 18C and I have a 40cm cooler side panel* and two 12cm fans blowing air out in the front and back. So my case is optimally cooled. It definately isn't a cooling issue, and as mentioned before the GPU core doesn't get too hot at all. I'm just thinkin that those heatsinks suck and can't keep **** cool. But I'm no expert....

*Its the aero-cool hi-tech 7 Pro (here is an image of the case found on google http://www.pcmasters.de/fileadmin/news/Aerocool/AeroCoo...)

February 10, 2009 6:47:24 AM

Has anyone tried d/l the drivers from the powercolor site? can it be expected that those are different from the ATI drivers? Its catalyst 8.10 on the site so it seems a bit outdated to be honest...Anyone got any ideas?
February 11, 2009 1:36:15 PM

Well its definately the Memory that is reaching such high temperatures mostly during gameplay around at 105, but sometimes it goes up to and remains at 110-112. If anyone has any ideas how I can increase the cooling on the memory I'm all ears!
!