Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Set designated drive for datat storage

Last response: in Storage
July 3, 2010 12:19:27 AM

I added a larger second hard drive to my dell xps 1730 laptop running vista 64 bit. It is operational and I have copied my data files ie pic, video, music, contacts and favorites etc onto this F: drive. I want to leave just the programs and windows etc on the smaller C: drive and have all the new data go to the F: drive. So far everything still goes only to the Paul folder in the desk top and the User; Paul folder as a duplicate (both in the C: original drive and nothing automatically goes to the F: drive where I want to store all the data.???????????????????

Best solution

a c 118 G Storage
July 3, 2010 1:09:07 AM

In programs that offer you the option to set the storage disk, go to "Menu OR Preferences OR Options" and in each case designate the data to be saved in F: drive. Then those programs will save data in the designated drive (F: - default drive). I had to do this for my capture program (WinTV)

In some instances where you want to save one or more files, you may have to designate F: drive as the default drive, and pick the directory in which you want the files to be saved in.
Related resources
July 4, 2010 4:48:47 AM

Ubrales said:
In programs that offer you the option to set the storage disk, go to "Menu OR Preferences OR Options" and in each case designate the data to be saved in F: drive. Then those programs will save data in the designated drive (F: - default drive). I had to do this for my capture program (WinTV)

In some instances where you want to save one or more files, you may have to designate F: drive as the default drive, and pick the directory in which you want the files to be saved in.

Thank you for the info. I will try it tomorrow and see how it goes. Hope it works in Vista; there are alot of different problems with this software that I have had to overcome.
m
l
July 4, 2010 4:50:11 AM

MRFS said:
This may help, but it describes the sequence with XP, not VISTA:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_move_my_document...

Moving the "My Documents" folder to another drive or partition in Windows XP is easier than you think (Not applicable to Vista)

MRFS

I will let you know tomorrow if it works in Vista.. Thank you
m
l
a c 118 G Storage
July 4, 2010 2:36:55 PM

Aiellopj said:
I will let you know tomorrow if it works in Vista.. Thank you

Consider upgrading to Win 7 64-bit - (not related to your present issue)
m
l
July 5, 2010 1:23:01 PM

I will be getting a desktop by the end of the year and will either be a Mac or have windows 7 (64)

I have been able to go into most of my programs and replace the destination drive with the F: drive. Microsoft Outlook looks a little complicated and I cannot find an option for Explorer 8 to change the drive from C: to F:
m
l
July 5, 2010 1:26:11 PM

MRFS said:
This may help, but it describes the sequence with XP, not VISTA:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_move_my_document...

Moving the "My Documents" folder to another drive or partition in Windows XP is easier than you think (Not applicable to Vista)

MRFS

I was able to find an option to switch the destination drive from C: to F: in most of my programs. I could not find on so far in Explorer 8 (firefox had one in the options section). Also Microsoft Outlook appears to be somewhat complicated to transfer the email and contact data destination also.
m
l
July 15, 2010 6:45:41 PM

Best answer selected by Aiellopj.
m
l
!