Replacing video card to new gtx series.

G

could i replace my xfx geforce 8600gt on dp35dp intel media board with gtx 295 . on a pci expressX16 1.0 . and waht is differece between pcie 1.0 and 2.0
thanks for your help in advance bye .
by pc gamer .

grimreality

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
only difference between the two is the amount of bandwidth they can handle, 2.0 can obviously do more. There might be a little performance hit you take from putting that card into a 1.0 slot, but you'll never notice it since you're used to using that 8600 card.

Like the other guy said, make sure your powersupply can handle that new card, and remember AMPS are MORE important than WATTS, despite what some graphic card manufacturers may lead you to believe. Still, make sure you have plenty of both.

Your PCI-Express 1.0 might be a limiting factor considering you're looking at a Dual GPU video card. So you may not get the full potential out of that video card.

My biggest question though, would be as to what processor (CPU) you have. Depending on the CPU you have, that video card may to be much for your system to handle.

As also mentioned above, look up the power requirements for that GTX 295 and see what your power supply is capable of.

wingmaster

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
You should be fine its not going to limit you much at all GPU sockets are always way ahead of the bandwidth needed in games. Just look back at the AGP X2, X4, X8, switching the same card to a faster slot bought you next to nothing. Just wish and maybe somewhere there is a comparison chart all else would need to be the same though. Probably won't find one though as most sites make money from advertisements and telling you to keep old motherboard with new card don't sell as much hardware that way.

TRENDING THREADS