Sign in with
Your question

Designate a second hard drive just for data storage

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 3, 2010 12:26:00 AM

I added a second larger hard drive 320 sata to my dell xps 730 laptop running vista home premium 64bit. I installed successfully and have copies my existing data files ie pic,video,music, favorites, contacts etc onto the new F: drive. Now I want to just leave my programs and other misc stuff on the old c: drive and have all new data from all the various programs go to the larger F: drive. I cannot find a way to do this and all the new data goes into the Paul folder in my desktop list and the user Paul folder in the docs and settings of the C: drive and nothing goes into the new F: drive. I want to reverse that.??????

More about : designate hard drive data storage

a b G Storage
July 3, 2010 12:32:17 AM

Basically, you'll have to re-install such programs to the new drive. When doing so ensure that you select or type in F: in front of the file path.
m
l
July 11, 2010 1:39:44 AM

Thank you for the info; I was hoping there was a place within the program to redirect the data, but I guess Ill do it from scratch.
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2010 3:29:27 AM

Most apps have a way to designate the destination folder (and filenames). Some have a config setting for this, some require you to do it once and it will default to your last choice next time around, some you choose manually at 'save' time. You do not say which apps you use most. Reinstalling apps is one way to do it but not necessarily the only way. I've not found the need to reinstall and I'm constantly saving files across multiple drives. I'm not an expert on all software applications so I may not be able to help you with specific apps, but I hope I've been able to point you towards a solution.
m
l
July 18, 2010 12:09:42 PM

The applications I am most interested in saving to F: drive are Microsoft Outlook emails and contacts etc., word and my explorere 8 and firefox. I would also like to save the windows applications like my photos and videos etc.
m
l
!