Windows not detecting HDD and DVD Drive but Bios detects. Help!

harsh35plus

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
I have a bought a 320 gb western digital cavier blue sata harddrive because my old HDD's (Hitachi Deskstar 160gb) space ran low. Firstly I connected the WD HDD and removed Old HDD. Then I installed new windows xp and also installed Norton Ghost 14.0. Then I connected my old HDD to my PC and used the option 'copy my hard drive' in norton ghost to transfer my old windows xp installation (Full Drive). Norton asked me to restart and proceed by symantec recovery disk. I did this and automatically my new HDD got my old C drive. I booted from my new HDD and saw that my old windows is perfectly running. But then I saw that my old HDD is not shown in my computer and computer management but shown in BIOS. My DVD Drive was shown in My Computer fine. But next day my DVD Drive was also absent from My Computer but present in BIOS. Now help me what to do to get my old HDD and DVD drive back in My Computer. Windows is not detecting both these drives but BIOS does.Help! :( :sweat:

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Check in disk management to see if the drives are listed.
Click Start > Run and type diskmgmt.msc in the Open: line and click OK. The Disk Management snap-in will open.

Alternatively, continue running your OS off the Hitachi and use the WD as secondary storage/backup etc. Obviously somehting is going wrong with the transfer of the ghost image on to the new drive, but seeing as the drives are still operational, its obviously a software issue. You could also try a sector by sector transfer or try disabling the pagefile in XP prior to ghosting.

harsh35plus

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010

Drives are not listed.
Tell me atleast any way to get my DVD Drive back. It's more important

pilotkira

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
try
control panel -> device manager -> look for DVD drive under DVD/CD-ROM Drive
if not listed "scan for hardware changes"

as for the hard drive - were both drives assigned the same letter? if so try and change one; you can also try TweakUI (clicking on My Computer, Drives,and check marking Drive F) that works with some externals with not showing up

harsh35plus

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
I went to device manager but my device was not shown. I selected Show hidden devices and both my hdd and dvd drive writers are shown but they show error that they are not connected to the computer while they are connected properly and BIOS detects them easily.