GA P35-DS3L memory controller issues?

lev280

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
My motherboard has 4 memory slots. Recently I purchased 4GB of Corsair DDR2 PC 6400. I swapped out 2 of my old Micron chisp based 4x1GB sticks that were PC 5300 (slower) with these. However, the Windows Vista x64 does not utilize all of the 6 GB. It see the full 6 GB but the task manager is still showing 3.5 GB or so. Here are two screen shots. I am wondering if any1 here has encountered the same problem with the MB and if this is some kind of a problem with the memory controller on this board?

Windows Task Manager screen shot.
351uwbb.jpg

Windows system information screen shot.
15xtiec.jpg

lev280

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Guys, I am hoping someone here can give some ideas about this. Here is more information on this problem.

I have tried this same RAM in an ASUS P5KPL-AM board and under XP x64 I see the full 4096MB.

I have tried the OCZ 2x2GB and Kingston 2x2GB in the GA P35-DS3L board and get the same 3581 MB in the Windows.

Since I am running two Virtual machines on this for F@H, my RAM utilization is near 90% or so. I want to be able to use 8GB in this MB however, it does NOT go above 3581.

I am using the latest f8 version of the BIOS.

I have checked all settings in the BIOS and I couldn't find anything in it that would keep the system for allocating all 4 GB for use by the system.

I have a 500 watt Antec SP PSU.

I have tested all other RAM in my ASUS board and they all work fine at full capacity.

That is why I suspect there is something wrong with this board's memory addressing in the controller...

Just wondering if any hardware experts here can help me.

I have tried Gigabytes online tech support and their response was that it's Windows OS that decides how much memory it wants to address. I don't know if there is such a thing in 64-bit OS to limit the size of memory?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

rmaultz

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Update the bios i have had the same issue the response to previous post was correct (( I have tried Gigabytes online tech support and their response was that it's Windows OS that decides how much memory it wants to address. I don't know if there is such a thing in 64-bit OS to limit the size of memory?
))) this is true But with vista service pack 1 it address's the loop hole in the bcd store addressing this issue and showing accurate amount of ram the issue is not actually windows but the BCD ( Boot Configuration Database ) ** Your Boot loader reading incorrectly in vista to fix this just update bios and service pack 1 should be the fix

lev280

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Thanks.

I am currently using the latest version of the BIOS (F8). The next version up is a BETA version.

In System Configuration > Boot > Advanced Options > Maximum memory box is checked and won't go above 3584 MB.

I will try un-checking and rebooting to see whether that makes any difference.

lev280

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
OK. Just to close this thread. I did uncheck the Maximum Memory box and the system booted up with all 4 GB and later I added two more sticks to make it 8 GB. I can now run multiple VMPlayer sessions.

Thanks to rmaultz for the pointer.

BTW, I did check the Maximum Memory box ONE MORE TIME and the system booted with 3584 MB. Don't know why it limits to less than the Max?