DVI to HDMI Help!!!

faridakoi

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Hi,

I want to run HDMI straight out of my computer to my TV. I know you can buy video cards that have HDMI out, but many come with converters (DVI to HDMI). However, I want to know if you will get audio through the HDMI. Most people argue that you don't but, I keep reading that you can. I saw this video http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rqGglMRSN2A&feature=channel_page (watch @ 2.20), the guy basically says that the card can run HDMI 7.1 Audio. I would greatly appreciate any clarification and help. Thanks a lot!

You can get both.

All ATi HD 2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx cards have integrated audio processing/passthrough to provide 5.1 on the HD2/3K and 7.1 on the HD4K.

Other cards can provide Audio over DVI &/or HDMi but that involves using SPDIF, and thus you will not get uncompressed/protected audio, you're basically limited to 5.1 DTS on most protected content. These have either a coax or toslink back into he card from your audio card, or 2 pin jumpers for running inside a system straight from the audio card.

Another option would be to get something like this, which would allow you to use an nV or S3 card with 7.1 Dolby TruHD or DTS-HD-Master;
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_hometheater_hd.php

For ease of use I would recommend the ATi HD4xxx series cards (better to be 4600 or above if you want image quality improvement functions), but if you wanted the most powerful gaming card (overall, some specific games favour the HD4K) you would likely go with the nV GTX28x & GTX29x series, so you would need to add the Auzentech card for 7.1 protected audio, or else hunt down one that supports SPDIF-in for basic 5.1 support.

faridakoi

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks so much, but I failed to clarify, if I don't want 7.1 or even 5.1, just simple audio from blu-ray playback, will a gtx 280 handle that? Or do I have to go through the measures you prescribed? Thanks again.

You still need audio back into the card, so you need to look for one GTX280 that does DVI pass-through and has the SPIF-in, a few of them have the 2 wire internal jumpers (look like fan power connectors).

FYI, one of the popular brands that focuses on this ability is Zotac.

faridakoi

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks so much dude, did my research will pick up a 4870X2 for all my blu ray play back needs. Love these forums, thanks again!