Sign in with
Your question

Western digital mybook world edition II will not run at gigabit speed troublesho

Last response: in Storage
July 3, 2010 7:18:38 PM

Hello,

anyone running into this issue. I have a linksys wrt610N router
a b G Storage
July 4, 2010 10:26:22 PM

How are you gauging the speed? Can you tell its running at fast ethernet somehow? I have heard these are really slow due to the CPU rather than the network. Having said that, Gbit ethernet should be auto-negotiated requiring you to do nothing, so back to my first question, how do you know its not Gbit ethernet?

I would check to see if your router firmware is current. Also, check to see if there are updates for the WD mybook.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 5, 2010 1:12:16 AM

How fast is it running? Just because the interface can run at X speed doesn't mean the slow spinning drive inside can.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b G Storage
July 5, 2010 2:10:12 PM

I should clarify, when I said CPU I meant the devices onboard ARM processor. If you read the reviews on this device the main problem with them is slow read/write speeds. Just because it is slow doesn't mean it is not running GBit ethernet, which is everyones point.
m
l
July 12, 2010 4:56:16 AM

My Linksys Router (WRT610N) is able to identify the speed by showing a different color for each connection. Blue for 10/100 and Green for Gigabit. Firmware is up to date on the Linksys and Mybook (World Edition II).
m
l
a b G Storage
July 12, 2010 6:12:23 AM

Again, how fast are your transfers? Whether its running 100mbit or gigabit probably means nothing.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 12, 2010 11:48:44 AM

So the ethernet link light on the router is blue then, indicating only a fast ethernet connection.

If so, perhaps the cable is the culprit. GB ethernet requires all 8 wires and a CAT 6 cable other wise you will get fast ethernet.
m
l
July 19, 2010 1:12:38 PM

updated the firmware on the router to v2 even though mine is version 1 (based on internet resolution suggestion). Restarted router, now showing green light.
m
l
!