Sign in with
Your question

QX9650 is overheating or not?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 17, 2010 11:00:49 AM

Hello,
Today it was very hot 32Cº in city. In my room it was even hotter, I was working in my t-shirt and I could say that I was burning.

My brand new QX9650 that I recently obtained was even hotter at start-up. One of its cores was around 60Cº on idle and CPU tmep reached 65Cº on rendering.

So I made it work with low frequency in BIOS successfully dropping it to 54Cº.

Are my temperatures going abnormal?

Should I change my CPU cooler which is:

Cooler Mster CM Sphere

Should I change my thermal grease which is:

Silver Tim Thermal Paste from Xilence

=83473]

Or should I buy an air conditioner?

My case is ventilated like this:

Would dropping my room temp with air conditioner by 10 degrees also drop my CPU temp by 10 degrees?

If yes my CPU temp would drop to 48-50Cº on idle. Isn't it still hot?

I was intersted in coolers like:
Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme CPU Cooler

Corsair Hydroseries H50

Noctua NH-U12P Heatsink

How much difference would they make?

5Cº, 10Cº, 15Cº ?

P.S. I'm nterested in OC, and want try some..

More about : qx9650 overheating

June 17, 2010 5:17:39 PM

I would think your current Heat sync should be just fine.

I currently use a Q9550, my temps hit 60-65C under load in a cool room. Intel "states" that their CPU's shouldn't go above 70C.... With that in mind, you could probably go above that and be ok, but I wouldn't recommend it...

In your current situation, I would remove the side panel and sit a fan infront of it (lol) as a cheap fix.... or look into adding some fans in the front and in the rear, and maybe in the side panel....

Dropping the temp in your room would help a little, but not by much.... if you drop it 10 degrees, you might see your CPU drop 2 degrees... To me it sounds like you don't have enough ventilation in your PC...

Idle at 60C is pretty hot, but its not going to kill your CPU...

To give you perspective, I use 3 80mm fans in the front, 2 80mm fans in the rear, a 120mm fan mounted infront of the 3 GFX cards (GFX fans are set to 50% reg, gaming I bump them up to 100%), and a 200mm fan mounted in the side panel between the RAM and the CPU.... Idle I am at 40C CPU, 34-40 GPU's, ingame 60C CPU, and 50-65C GPU's... Room temp is set to 73F.

Hopefully this post helps you out a little!

June 17, 2010 11:01:45 PM

This my case Asus TA D51 (of course not actual one, this pic is from internet) and I cant install any more fans than one in front (inwards) and one at the back (outwards). I also installed 80mm fan (inwards) on the side cover removing that black THING (actually i removed it because fan did not fit).
The next thing I can do is to install fan for GPU which I can connect perpendicularly to the back of the case as I understand.
The one at the back is case's stock fan.

So what are the steps for cooling down my cpu qx 9650 with allowable cpu temp by intel 64.5C, considering that in hot day I get 65-70C on full load. I use my computer on full load very often by the way. As a cg artist I really do. On less hot days I get 60-65C. I did not test it on cool days cause I bought it recently:) 

a- nothing, leave everything as it is, considering that nothing is dangerous
b- cool down room with some air conditioning system
c- installing extra fan for gpu region
d- buying some expensive fan from the top 5 charts

What should I do first, second, third?
Related resources
June 18, 2010 6:40:02 AM

B Cool down room with some Air conditioning

I don't know take care of the human also?
June 18, 2010 10:15:56 AM

Maybe consider modding your case to allow another fan in the sidepanel. other than that i dont see any more options than to get an airconditioning because i dont believe a top 5 chart cooler will give you a 10-15C drop.

Since you are a cg artist what kind of GPU are you using? maybe your GPU doesnt pull it and stresses the CPU even more.

Your temps are a bit on the high side i must say
June 18, 2010 3:05:41 PM

you could go with a PCI slot fan, something like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). This fan only moves about 42 CFM, which is not much, but it will help... Or you could find a different one that is more efficient. Or replace your rear 120, with a more efficient fan....

Now here is a rear 120mm fan that will knock your socks off (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) moves 210 CFM, at an amazing 6000 RPMs! I think I might add that to my chart... lol
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 19, 2010 1:24:21 AM

kahverengim, any of the heatsink choices you have at the bottom of your original post would be MASSIVELY better than what you have. I would say at least 15-20c better at the minimum. Change your heatsink, quick........ you can put all the fans you want in and around your case but if the heatsink is garbage and won't take the heat away from your processor what good is it going to do for you.
June 21, 2010 9:04:57 AM

I'm going to order this cooler and see what happens :) 
Noctua nh-d14

Somehow I don't trust my cooler 'cause I haven't seen it in any benchmark test.
Plus air conditioning I think I'll mange to freeze my CPU!
Thanx for help.
I'll share my results after installing new cooler.
June 21, 2010 9:06:18 AM

DaeM said:
Maybe consider modding your case to allow another fan in the sidepanel. other than that i dont see any more options than to get an airconditioning because i dont believe a top 5 chart cooler will give you a 10-15C drop.

Since you are a cg artist what kind of GPU are you using? maybe your GPU doesnt pull it and stresses the CPU even more.

Your temps are a bit on the high side i must say

I'm using GF 8600 GT
June 21, 2010 9:09:51 AM

tkrl26 said:
you could go with a PCI slot fan, something like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). This fan only moves about 42 CFM, which is not much, but it will help... Or you could find a different one that is more efficient. Or replace your rear 120, with a more efficient fan....

Now here is a rear 120mm fan that will knock your socks off (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) moves 210 CFM, at an amazing 6000 RPMs! I think I might add that to my chart... lol

I started cooling my computer adding first front fan(inwards) and the on the side panel(inwards)
I haven't noticed any significant change. So I'll go replacing cpu heatsink instead adding any other fan. As I mentioned above I don't trust my current one. Thanx for advice by the way.
June 23, 2010 10:05:53 AM

Recieved my noctua nh-d14 two and half hours ago.
Delayed my urgent job and decided to install it.
Mounted it very carefully without ultra low noise adapter (still silent for me though two fans on heatsink).
Had trouble closing side panel, but all two fans are adjustable so I put them a bit down and managed to close the panel:) 
Tested with Prime95 for 24 minutes. It hit 59C at maximum. Definite success for me!
I'll test it oc'ing it to 4ghz soon.
Thanx for help to everybody.

P.S. still no air conditioning installed in the room by boss.
!