Difference between 2 MSI 9600GT cards

Hey everyone,

I have a question about 2 MSI 9600GT OC cards I saw on Newegg. I am planning on buying one soon, and I would appreciate if anyone can help me here.

1st card:
MSI N9600GT 512M OC GeForce 9600 GT 512MB

2nd card:
MSI N9600GT-T2D512-OC GeForce 9600 GT 512MB

The only difference I can see is that the 1st one had OpenGL 2.0 while the 2nd one has OpenGL 2.1.
I have checked on MSI's site and the 2nd card shows as V2 while the 1st one shows as V1. (same model)
Other than that, that's it.

I am assuming the second card is the 2nd revision. It is also a bit cheaper.

Can anyone tell me if there are any other differences? Maybe someone has one of the cards and can provide feedback? Any difference in the cooling system?

Thanks a lot for the help,
9 answers Last reply
More about difference 9600gt cards
  1. Well msi isnt a good company to begin with, so i wouldnt get the V1 just to save 10 dollars. If they made a 2nd revision without writing why, id assume its not good.
  2. Benchmarks charts have showed that the performance of this particular card was amazing for its price. I have read many reviews and those card seem to last and be quite. I do not know about the rest of MSI's cards.

The V2 is cheaper than the V1 btw. As I said, the only difference is OpenGL 2.0 vs 2.1

What else can they write for a change log?

The V1's reviews on newegg are phenomenal. It does not seem to be a bad product at all.
  3. i mean msi isnt a good company like service wise, not product wise.

9600GT isnt a terrible card, but wont be good in a few months, atm it is about the only budget nvidia card you can get the 9800GT has twice as many shaders and isnt much more i believe.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130380
    like 20 dollars more and a free world at war? sounds like a go to me, sell the game get 50 dollars back and its cheaper than the 9600GT
  4. All 9600gt has openGL 2.1
  5. @ shiftstealth

Price wise, the 9800Gt is way more efficient. For 20$ more, it is worth. I am not going to start buying the parts until the spring, so I think I am just going to sit and wait for deals.

Do you really think the 9600GT won't be good in a few months? Is it that bad?
    @romulus47plus1

The specs sheet says something else.
  6. Get a 9800GT at least.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9600gt_us.html
    Look at it's specs, 9600gt has openGL 2.1 for sure. Vendors don't determine whether its 2.1 or 2.0, if the company makes it 2.1, all will be 2.1 for sure. Should be a typo error there on the specs sheet.
  7. I have considered your opinion and looked for the 9800GT. I stumbled upon the 4830; for its performance compared with the 9800GT, the 4830 is a killer for 75$ on Newegg.

9800GT is way more expensive, and they both fit in the same hierarchy category.

What do you think?
  8. 4830 often performs better than a 9800gt, and better than the 9600gt too in high resolutions, and for that price, I'd highly recommend the 4830.
  9. That's what I thought. I could also provide better cooling for the card by putting an extra fan blowing cold air into its fan. I assume the fan on the sapphire model sucks cold air in.

This will give me a better overclocking headroom.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Geforce OpenGL Graphics Product MSI-Microstar