Ati 4850 Cooling Help

cman102395

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I have the His ATi 4850. It idles around 54c and 90c full load. I have decent cooling and will be buying more fans but i want to know what the best vga cooler for the 4850 is .
Thanks,
ME :heink:

Probably you have one of the best around, unlike most of the aftermarket coolers, it exhausts its heat out of the case so I`d stick with it but increase the fan speed through the CCC, those temperatures seem a little high.

vonted

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I have a 4850 X2 that idles at 54 C and I get upwards of 90+C when at load. I am thinking this can't be a good temp for the card / system. What IS a good cooling solution? i've been wondering if a slot cooler would help?

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
OK kid, here is how it works...

When you take the heatsink off of a graphics card, you will notice that there is a ton of thermal compound spread everywhere. you will say to yourself "that isn't right" and proceed to clean it all off. then you will apply a little bit onto the die and think that is good.

NO!

GPU heatsinks are designed with a gap between the die and the heatsink. you need LOTS of compound in between to get a solid heat transfer.

Fix that and tell us what your temps are.

jerk.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008

That is toally fine. gpus are tested at temps above 110C so 90 is not that bad, especially for a dual gpu card. turn your fan speeds up in catalyst control center and the temps should go down.

vonted

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I'll monitor the fan speeds a bit more diligently, but I recall the fan being at 100% (!!) I let the card control the fan speed via CCC.....

Nice to know that 90C isn't melting the card :)

That is sort of odd though. Even with the original single slot cooler on mine, 55% gives me 38 idle and around 60 (edit: extreme max) load. It also is even across all sensors (ram, chip, VRM).