Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cusomize windows folders side bar

Last response: in Windows XP
June 11, 2011 1:22:43 PM

I would like the explorer folder side bar to come up with the C: drive unexpanded. Having to scroll up(and sideways) to My Documents or down to a USB drive annoying. Can this be done?
June 11, 2011 2:26:28 PM

Yes.

Right-click the shortcut and make a little change. Select Properties.

In the box labeled "Target" change to read: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /e,

June 11, 2011 4:16:24 PM

Sorry, I think you've misunderstood. I want the "Local Disk (C:) " to be unexpanded. (Please excuse the smilie, a consequence of the colon and right parenthesis)
Related resources
June 12, 2011 8:24:03 AM

AndrewPorter said:
Sorry, I think you've misunderstood. I want the "Local Disk (C:) " to be unexpanded. (Please excuse the smilie, a consequence of the colon and right parenthesis)

You may be right, that I misunderstand. :( 
My method just shows all drives and none of them are expanded. The expanding part is up to you.
The "local disk (C׃)" should show a plus sign in front of it as well as all other drives.

June 15, 2011 6:44:53 PM

Thanks for taking the time to help Tigsounds.

I can get to the Target box when I rt-click on MyDocuments but not for the C: drive icon??? (by the way I'm using XP)
June 15, 2011 8:34:18 PM

I am definitely missing something here. When I think of Explorer showing all drives, but not expanded, I think of this picture. If possible, please setup your view of Explorer as you wish it would open and post a picture of it someplace I can see it.

I use the Classic Desktop but the result is the same for the XP theme.

June 16, 2011 4:13:20 PM

That' what I'm going for.

Mine has the C: Drive expndes to the Start folder.
How do you include a PrintScreen image here?
June 16, 2011 5:32:52 PM

There are various ways of doing it.

I hold the Control key, press Print Screen key.
Open Photoshop; File>New>(accept size)>edit>Paste and the screen cap is now in Photoshop.
From there, crop as needed, Flatten image, save as.. and then post the image file to my Photobucket.com account.
Get link address for the img and paste into post here.

Some people use M$ Word but I find that rather complicated. Maybe someone else will chime in on how they do it, there may be an easier way than mine.

Best solution

June 16, 2011 5:38:55 PM

If the picture above is what you are looking for....

June 16, 2011 7:19:26 PM

Ok break through, kind of.

I found these instructions: (below)
at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307856

To change the default startup folder for Windows Explorer:

1 Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then right-click Windows Explorer.
2 On the menu that appears, click Properties.
3 In the Target box, append the "/root" command-line switch to the "%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe" command, using the startup location that you want. For example, if you want Windows Explorer to start at the root of drive C, edit the command to the following:
%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /root, C:\
4 Click OK.

That got me to the properties box you show above.
I made your change.
Same results. But...
I had been starting Explorer by right clicking the START button (desk top ,lower left). I tried triggering Explorer by clicking Start-Programs-Accessories Windows Explorer. The changes to WE Properties made changes with this method. After cutting and pasting your Target parameters I got results like yours except that the My Computer was unexpanded. I toggled between the parameters in step 3 above and yours several times, then your parameters gave me results equivalent to your print screen view above. No idea why it took several tries, obviously operator error.

There's probably some way to modify the properties for the rt-clk Start button method. I'll keep poking around. I'll post if I find a solution

Thanks for all your help.
June 17, 2011 8:43:23 AM

AndrewPorter said:

There's probably some way to modify the properties for the rt-clk Start button method. I'll keep poking around. I'll post if I find a solution

Thanks for all your help.

I didn't know you were launching Explorer from the the start button.

You cannot change the target of Explorer launched by right clicking the start button. It cannot be done.

Enable the quick Launch, copy the Explorer shortcut from the start menu/accessories and modify it's target. It's all you can do. :( 

June 27, 2011 12:22:58 PM

Best answer selected by AndrewPorter.
!