My new computer arrives...

and of course, I can't get Windows 98 to install on it. D'oh! So much for
that.

I've heard that 98 won't run on computers that have a processor that is like
mine, around 2GHz.

I thought it was bs tho :(

> I've heard that 98 won't run on computers that have a processor that is
like
> mine, around 2GHz.
>
> I thought it was bs tho :(

Well, it turns out it's apparently the hard drive that doesn't like Win 98.
It's a serial ATA drive.

The sad part is (to me, anyway), I can get a free copy of Win XP if I had a
broadband, because MS is having a beta program for the 64 bit version of it
(which is what my new PC is, an Athlon 64). But I don't have broadband.
Double D'oh!

This probably seems obvious but get Windows XP. Why are you messing around
with a lame OS like Win98 anyway?

Richard

Richard Forester wrote:
> This probably seems obvious but get Windows XP. Why are you messing around
> with a lame OS like Win98 anyway?

Because Win 98SE was the most stable of the Windohs OS line?

I'd have kept it if I could, but I was forced into XP.

-georg

georg wrote:
>> This probably seems obvious but get Windows XP. Why are you messing
>> around with a lame OS like Win98 anyway?
>>

> Because Win 98SE was the most stable of the Windohs OS line?

That was meant as a joke wasn't it? I have seen win 9x and ME blue screen
litererally hundreds of times. I have only ever seen 2k blue screen once,
and I have never seen XP blue screen. Win98 and SE are not stable.

Will Bradshaw wrote:

> georg wrote:
>
>>>This probably seems obvious but get Windows XP. Why are you messing
>>>around with a lame OS like Win98 anyway?
>>>

>>Because Win 98SE was the most stable of the Windohs OS line?
>

> That was meant as a joke wasn't it? I have seen win 9x and ME blue screen
> litererally hundreds of times. I have only ever seen 2k blue screen once,
> and I have never seen XP blue screen. Win98 and SE are not stable.

No. I have heard and seen nothing but problems with ME and 2k, and I am
very glad I never needed either.

True, I haven't had trouble with XP, but I know others who have. I never
had problems with 98SE.

I just wish games like the Sims and EQ worked on Linux.

-georg

georg wrote:
> I just wish games like the Sims and EQ worked on Linux.

I don't know much about Linux as I have only ever had the misfortune of
having to use Debian once, without a clue how to use it, but AFAIK Linux is
completely different to Windows and would need the game remaking completely,
would the different distros need different versions? It would just be way
too much for EA, and they wouldn't make a profit from the few Linux users
that want to play games on it.

"Richard Forester" <richard_forester(nospam)@msn.com> wrote in message
> Well, yes, XP will run slower on the same hardware. This is kinda obvious
> since it requires more resources. As far as knowing what is running on
it,
> there's more information available to the user under XP than under Win98.
> Also you have a lot more control over shutting down processes under XP.
In
> Win9x this was a very risky thing to do since everything effectively ran
in
> the same address space. I can go on and on about how XP is factually
better
> than Win9x but I'm sure you don't want to hear about it.

Um, not the same hardware here. I still have my 98se machine. This one
came with xp home on it.
I just cannot get the sims2 to run on my 98se machine (well can't even test
it cause there is no dvd drive on that machine), so I am stuck with this
one.

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

>> I just wish games like the Sims and EQ worked on Linux.
>
> I don't know much about Linux as I have only ever had the misfortune of
> having to use Debian once, without a clue how to use it, but AFAIK Linux is
> completely different to Windows and would need the game remaking completely,

Not really. Most games are quite modular. The only things that are
likely to be different are the install scripts and maybe some front end
work. You just need to look at the success of things like SCUMMVM (a
cross-platform interpreter for LucasArts' SCUMM engine) and the port to
Linux of Unreal Tournament (download a new installer), or the fact that
a lot of games put a PC version and a Mac version on one disc, to
realise that once you've already made the game it's not that much extra
work to run it on a different platform.

It would be bad practise to make a game that was closely tied to Windows
anyway. That would leave you vulnerable to all sorts of things, not
least of all the way that Microsoft habitually changes the way that
Windows works to stifle the competition.

> would the different distros need different versions?

Unlikely. Linux is POSIX-compliant, so in theory if you could get it to
run on Linux it should also work on Unix and BSD-based systems like OS X
without too much hassle. All the distributions are just different
software collections. So you'll get the kernel, desktop manager and
other useful software in all distributions, and then you'll get some
other stuff depending on which distribution you go for. The largest
difference, AFAIK, between distros is which package mechanism they use.

It would just be way
> too much for EA, and they wouldn't make a profit from the few Linux users
> that want to play games on it.

Ah, but if there were more games available, then there'd be more Linux
users.

Anyway, most games companies are wondering whether it's worth bothering
to port a game to the PC at all, given that it's such a tiny market
compared to consoles. EA in particular are most likely to only go with
the most lucrative, regardless of how many customers they might leave in
the cold... I'm certainly not holding my breath expecting them to lead
the way in anything.

CK

"Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I wouldn't argue about Win98 Second Addison. I used it for about six years
> and never had the kind of trebles you spoke of. I bought a brand new
> Pacard
> Bell 2.66 GHz because I wanted to play Unreal Tournament 4 as my old
> computer would not play it. And of cores Sims 2. Now, it came with Windows
> XP installed and I used it for just one day. Has I said, it wasn't for me.

That's cool. I understand what you are saying.

> Computer Companies are making newer and faster computers Neely every day.
> And every time the do, Microsoft brings out new OS Systems that slows them
> down again. And so do a lot of new games these days.

I wouldn't say this but slowness is a matter of perception and opinion. You
are entitled to yours. Actually, the speed of an OS is largely determined
on hardware but also how many/what type of services you have running. Does
XP have more services than 98? You betcha. But does it offer more
functionality and a more stable OS? Absolutely.

> The other thing about XP is it's ability to use up a lot of your internet
> bandwidth, bandwidth that you are paying for! Bandwidth that you need
> yourself. Not forgetting the use of your computers resources. Last but not
> lest, if you own your own network, you must buy and use a new copy of XP
> for
> each computer on your network. Or XP will not network on any of them.

Umm... XP doesn't "use up" bandwith. I have no idea what you mean by that.
Also, don't you think you should pay for what you use? A lot of blood,
sweat and tears went into engineering XP. Don't you think the manufacturer
is entitled to compensation for your use of the product?

> But apart from all that it is a good operating system.
>
> I too love the old adventure games so I put windows 98 on my new computer
> and I was truly amazed how much faster it run. "Slicker than snot on a
> doorknob!"

LOL. You're right. You should use what works best for you.

> I am now using Windows 2000 witch I found was best suited for my new
> computer and for me. The only trouble I am having now is trying to play my
> old adventure games. I get error saying this system is not a dos
> supporting
> operating system. Or something like that.

Have you tried running these older games under compatibility mode? It
doesn't always work but it does sometimes.

> Why can't you network 98? I have. I have Win2000 on my UT server. Win200
> on
> my main computer and Win98 on my old computer. They are all showing up on
> my
> network. And that way I can still play my old adventure games.
>
> At the end of the day, we all use what ever suits us. And should not poke
> fun at others who do. We are all happy.
>
> Paul.

I'm sorry if you took my comments personally. They weren't ment to be
directed that way. I was merely pointing out how XP is superior to Win9x
and that if your hardware no longer runs that old OS you should move on.

Richard

Paul

Splendid

> [...]
> > operating system. Or something like that.
> >

> Have you tried running these older games under compatibility mode? It
> doesn't always work but it does sometimes.
>
> > Why can't you network 98? I have. I have Win2000 on my UT server. Win200
> > on
> > my main computer and Win98 on my old computer. They are all showing up
on
> > my
> > network. And that way I can still play my old adventure games.
> >
> > At the end of the day, we all use what ever suits us. And should not
poke
> > fun at others who do. We are all happy.
> >
> > Paul.
>
> I'm sorry if you took my comments personally. They weren't ment to be
> directed that way. I was merely pointing out how XP is superior to Win9x
> and that if your hardware no longer runs that old OS you should move on.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----
Thank you for your input Richard. And yes your right. XP is more superior to
Windows 98. But can you remember how superior Win98 compared too Win95? Back
at the time when a 600MB hard drive cost £250 Pound? Ha Ha. Them where the
days! I appreciate what you say because you know what you are talking about
and I agree with everything you are saying. The XP Internet bandwidth I'm
referring to is band bandwidth that programs running in the background XP
use whenever you connect to the Internet. I cannot remember exactly how many
there was now, but I was shocked. All this Internet activity simply would
not work on my UT server. It will make the game very lagy for players play
the game. The UT server uses all available band with just for the game.

Allow me to explain why it is I proffer not to use XP. I did install and
wanted to use XP on one of my computers some time ago. Anyway, I got all the
correct drivers for all the hard where but had treble with the driver for my
creative sound card. Quit a good one at the time. It would not work. XP
allowed me to reinstall the driver for the hard where again, I tried again
and again it did not work. After that XP locked me out. Everything to do
with the sound card was grayed out. XP said the devise was not working and
was disabled. No matter what I tried, XP would not allow me fix it.

I do know and realize that XP takes control away from the user and I felt
like I'd lost something. And so I thought that XP was not for the
experienced hands on users, but more for the new comers to computing. I am
not saying you're a new comer! I can tell from what you write you know what
you are talking about.

Thank you for your advice relating to playing old games on windows 200. I
will give that a try.

Paul.

> Thank you for your input Richard. And yes your right. XP is more superior
> Windows 98. But can you remember how superior Win98 compared too Win95?
> Back
> at the time when a 600MB hard drive cost £250 Pound? Ha Ha. Them where the
> days! I appreciate what you say because you know what you are talking
> about
> and I agree with everything you are saying. The XP Internet bandwidth I'm
> referring to is band bandwidth that programs running in the background XP
> use whenever you connect to the Internet. I cannot remember exactly how
> many
> there was now, but I was shocked. All this Internet activity simply would
> not work on my UT server. It will make the game very lagy for players play
> the game. The UT server uses all available band with just for the game.

Wow. I don't play Unreal Tournament so I wouldn't know anything about that.
I was unaware that it required such a clean line. Have you considered other
factors that might affect gameplay? For instance, latency is very important
particularly with RTS games. I know that UT isn't an RTS but I thought I'd
mention it. Anyway, latency is more of a factor on your broadband providers
end. Also, you might be able to shutdown (make manual) some services that
affect gameplay.

> Allow me to explain why it is I proffer not to use XP. I did install and
> wanted to use XP on one of my computers some time ago. Anyway, I got all
> the
> correct drivers for all the hard where but had treble with the driver for
> my
> creative sound card. Quit a good one at the time. It would not work. XP
> allowed me to reinstall the driver for the hard where again, I tried again
> and again it did not work. After that XP locked me out. Everything to do
> with the sound card was grayed out. XP said the devise was not working and
> was disabled. No matter what I tried, XP would not allow me fix it.

I bet this is/was a non-plug and play creative sound card. Maybe an AWE or
something like that? Those don't do well with XP because XP likes to handle
interrupts and allocation of resources. Also, believe it or not the slot
you install it in is sometimes a factor if the BIOS is in charge of IRQ
settings. At any rate, I understand what you are saying about trying to get
your hardware to work. It's a total drag when it doesn't.

One other thing I just thought of relating to your old games. Have you
considered running them under Virtual PC? If you don't know what that is,
it's a product that Microsoft aquired from another software publisher and
updated it. You should be able to find it at your local PC store. Anyway,
it allows you to run your older OS inside a virtual pc running on a host OS.
For instance, I run XP natively and have Virtual PC to run other OSs. It's
quite useful for playing with Linux (since I install it to my virtual pc
instead of my physical hard drive). And it definately works great at
running Windows 9x. It might be a solution to running your old games on
Win2000 or XP.

> I do know and realize that XP takes control away from the user and I felt
> like I'd lost something. And so I thought that XP was not for the
> experienced hands on users, but more for the new comers to computing. I am
> not saying you're a new comer! I can tell from what you write you know
> what
> you are talking about.
>
> Thank you for your advice relating to playing old games on windows 200. I
> will give that a try.
>
> Paul.

Thanks for the kind words. If I can help you any further or if I didn't
make something clear just give me a holler.

Richard

> Richard Forester wrote:
>> This probably seems obvious but get Windows XP. Why are you messing
>> around with a lame OS like Win98 anyway?
>>

> Because Win 98SE was the most stable of the Windohs OS line?
>
> I'd have kept it if I could, but I was forced into XP.
>
> -georg

XP is waaaaay more stable than 98.

"Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> The other thing about XP is it's ability to use up a lot of your internet
> bandwidth, bandwidth that you are paying for! Bandwidth that you need
> yourself. Not forgetting the use of your computers resources. Last but not
> lest, if you own your own network, you must buy and use a new copy of XP
> for
> each computer on your network. Or XP will not network on any of them.

That's unadulterated bullpoop! My home network includes XP, 98, and even
Linux, and they all network communicate perfectly well on the network.

"Schfooge" <schfooge@NOSPAMFORME.rogers.com> wrote in message

> "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > The other thing about XP is it's ability to use up a lot of your
internet
> > bandwidth, bandwidth that you are paying for! Bandwidth that you need
> > yourself. Not forgetting the use of your computers resources. Last but
not
> > lest, if you own your own network, you must buy and use a new copy of XP
> > for
> > each computer on your network. Or XP will not network on any of them.
>
> That's unadulterated bullpoop! My home network includes XP, 98, and even
> Linux, and they all network communicate perfectly well on the network.

Hmm, that is not what paul said. He said that for every computer on your
network that you want to run xp, you have to buy a separate copy of xp for
each computer.
And I know this to be true from personal experience.

Paul

Splendid

> "georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Richard Forester wrote:
> >> This probably seems obvious but get Windows XP. Why are you messing
> >> around with a lame OS like Win98 anyway?
> >>

> > Because Win 98SE was the most stable of the Windohs OS line?
> >
> > I'd have kept it if I could, but I was forced into XP.
> >
> > -georg
>
> XP is waaaaay more stable than 98.

Can anyone tell me if the Guinness Book of records holds the longest post?

More Over, can anyone tell me what this original post was about? Lol

And just in case, if anyone is wondering what Windows XP, 2000 and 98 as got
to do with Sims 2. I think it's because we are all in agreement here, Sims 2
is compatible with all these operating systems.

Last but not lest. In my opinion even Windows 95 was better than Windows ME.
And Sims 2 will not work on ether!

And ones again, thank you Richard for telling me about Virtual PC. I had
herd of this product but never knew what it was till now. It sounds a
logical alternative than Windows 98. It sounds like something in the lines
of virtual Amiga 12 for your pc. But that's a hole another story. And no,
just in case anyone asks, Sims 2 will not run on Amiga ether! Lol.

Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
family?

Paul.

Oooo ooo! Me me!

I had 2 different Amiga 500s (at different times). Back then it really was
an amazing computer with awesome graphics.

Richard

> Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
> family?
>
> Paul.

"Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Schfooge" <schfooge@NOSPAMFORME.rogers.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
> > >>

> > > Because Win 98SE was the most stable of the Windohs OS line?
> > >
> > > I'd have kept it if I could, but I was forced into XP.
> > >
> > > -georg
> >
> > XP is waaaaay more stable than 98.
> >

> Can anyone tell me if the Guinness Book of records holds the longest post?
>
> More Over, can anyone tell me what this original post was about? Lol
>
> And just in case, if anyone is wondering what Windows XP, 2000 and 98 as
got
> to do with Sims 2. I think it's because we are all in agreement here, Sims
2
> is compatible with all these operating systems.
>
> Last but not lest. In my opinion even Windows 95 was better than Windows
ME.
> And Sims 2 will not work on ether!
>
> And ones again, thank you Richard for telling me about Virtual PC. I had
> herd of this product but never knew what it was till now. It sounds a
> logical alternative than Windows 98. It sounds like something in the lines
> of virtual Amiga 12 for your pc. But that's a hole another story. And no,
> just in case anyone asks, Sims 2 will not run on Amiga ether! Lol.
>
> Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
> family?
>
> Paul.

Does a TI004-A count?

"Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
>family?

/Has owned/? I still have 2 working C-64, in fact. With disk drives, tape
drive and monitor, all of which are used occasionally. There is still a
lively community of C-64 owners out there, and new software and hardware
is still being created.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

"Philipp Lucas" <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in message
> "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
>>family?
>
> /Has owned/? I still have 2 working C-64, in fact. With disk drives, tape
> drive and monitor, all of which are used occasionally. There is still a
> lively community of C-64 owners out there, and new software and hardware
> is still being created.
>
> --
> Philipp Lucas
> phlucas@online-club.de

Old fans never die - they just get clogged up with fluff.
It is amazing how many of the 'golden oldie' computers still have people
working away on them. Do people always have a soft spot for their first
computer?

Mine was an Ohio Scientific Superboard II and that fan did die. My husband
made me a new one out of an old model boat propellor. The 'fan' was attached
to a lump of wood (for weight) which sat on top of the open board - un
guarded, and was lethal to fingers and cats and sent papers that were not
weighted down all over the room.

And oh, after using tape casettes, the thrill of the first disc-drive - and
the COST! 8((((
It's up in the loft, the Ohio. Every five years or so I think about it, then
lie down with a ice-bag on my head.

Yes I also had a C-64 for a year or so; and a Tangerine, and oh, and
Sinclair Spectrum (these were all given to me to 'play with' An Einstein...
Lor.. and my own BBC B, then the Archimedes, then a bigger Arch, then a
RISC PC, and then I fell foul of the lure of PC software and joined the
Billy-gang.
I am now doomed. I have had one, two, three... blimey... five different PCs
one way or the other.

Granny. CA - what do you mean, 'I need a hobby'?

Paul wrote:
> Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the
> Amiga family?

My Brother got an Amiga 600 for his 6th (IIRC) Birthday. Originaly it had
no HDD or OS, but we got them a bit later. Most of the games got corrupted
but I think GORF (some space invaders type game that has nothing to do with
frogs) and Bally (big box with a little dot that you guide around to
highlight areas of the box, when you get 70% you go to the next level, but
you must avoid the other dots) still work. That was only 13 years ago,
things have kinda changed a bit since then.

Paul

Splendid

> Oooo ooo! Me me!
>
> I had 2 different Amiga 500s (at different times). Back then it really
was
> an amazing computer with awesome graphics.
>
> Richard
Excellent Richard. I knew we were on the same wavelength.

Paul.

> "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> >

> > Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
> > family?
> >
> > Paul.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Paul

Splendid

"Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Philipp Lucas" <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in message
> > "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >>Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
> >>family?
> >
> > /Has owned/? I still have 2 working C-64, in fact. With disk drives,
tape
> > drive and monitor, all of which are used occasionally. There is still a
> > lively community of C-64 owners out there, and new software and hardware
> > is still being created.
> >
> > --
> > Philipp Lucas
> > phlucas@online-club.de
>
> Old fans never die - they just get clogged up with fluff.
> It is amazing how many of the 'golden oldie' computers still have people
> working away on them. Do people always have a soft spot for their first
> computer?
>
> Mine was an Ohio Scientific Superboard II and that fan did die. My husband
> made me a new one out of an old model boat propellor. The 'fan' was
attached
> to a lump of wood (for weight) which sat on top of the open board - un
> guarded, and was lethal to fingers and cats and sent papers that were not
> weighted down all over the room.
>
> And oh, after using tape casettes, the thrill of the first disc-drive -
and
> the COST! 8((((
> It's up in the loft, the Ohio. Every five years or so I think about it,
then
> lie down with a ice-bag on my head.
>
> Yes I also had a C-64 for a year or so; and a Tangerine, and oh, and
> Sinclair Spectrum (these were all given to me to 'play with' An
Einstein...
> Lor.. and my own BBC B, then the Archimedes, then a bigger Arch, then a
> RISC PC, and then I fell foul of the lure of PC software and joined the
> Billy-gang.
> I am now doomed. I have had one, two, three... blimey... five different
PCs
> one way or the other.
>
> Granny. CA - what do you mean, 'I need a hobby'?

Wow, that's amazing. Who would have thought that people still use these old
computers? No I don't think it's anything to do with a soft spot for their
first
computer. With me it's just that Commodore sound. You know the sound from
that electronic music that the Commodore made from that Yamaha chip. Bloody
fantastic.

I have still got my Amiga12. And last week I picked up an old Commodore 64
that someone had thrown out for the bin man. Just the computer none of the
extras that the Commodore 64 needs to run. I had one of those Dayton Action
Replay Cartridge in my old Commodore 64. I thought that was an amazing pace
of kit for the Commodore 64.

I am looking for somewhere to set up my Amaga12 again. There are still some
games I loved playing and of course, most of these games are now free to
download from Internet. Grate! You know, I bought Amber Star for my Amiga12
and it was on free floppies and it took me two years to complete it! Amazing
how it takes me to complete a pc game on two cd's in just two weeks.

I got my first PC when Commodore went bust. Patti really.

Paul.

PS. I love my new PC too!

Paul

Splendid

"Philipp Lucas" <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in message
> "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
> >family?
>
> /Has owned/? I still have 2 working C-64, in fact. With disk drives, tape
> drive and monitor, all of which are used occasionally. There is still a
> lively community of C-64 owners out there, and new software and hardware
> is still being created.
>
> --
> Philipp Lucas
> phlucas@online-club.de
Philipp? I thought the Commodore with the disk drives was the Commodore 128?

Paul.