My new computer arrives...

and of course, I can't get Windows 98 to install on it. D'oh! So much for
that.
71 answers Last reply
More about computer arrives

    I've heard that 98 won't run on computers that have a processor that is like
    mine, around 2GHz.

    I thought it was bs tho :(

    > I've heard that 98 won't run on computers that have a processor that is
    like
    > mine, around 2GHz.
    >
    > I thought it was bs tho :(

    Well, it turns out it's apparently the hard drive that doesn't like Win 98.
    It's a serial ATA drive.

    The sad part is (to me, anyway), I can get a free copy of Win XP if I had a
    broadband, because MS is having a beta program for the 64 bit version of it
    (which is what my new PC is, an Athlon 64). But I don't have broadband.
    Double D'oh!

    This probably seems obvious but get Windows XP. Why are you messing around
    with a lame OS like Win98 anyway?

    Richard

    Richard Forester wrote:
    > This probably seems obvious but get Windows XP. Why are you messing around
    > with a lame OS like Win98 anyway?

    Because Win 98SE was the most stable of the Windohs OS line?

    I'd have kept it if I could, but I was forced into XP.

    -georg

    georg wrote:
    >> This probably seems obvious but get Windows XP. Why are you messing
    >> around with a lame OS like Win98 anyway?
    >>

    > Because Win 98SE was the most stable of the Windohs OS line?

    That was meant as a joke wasn't it? I have seen win 9x and ME blue screen
    litererally hundreds of times. I have only ever seen 2k blue screen once,
    and I have never seen XP blue screen. Win98 and SE are not stable.

    Will Bradshaw wrote:

    > georg wrote:
    >
    >>>This probably seems obvious but get Windows XP. Why are you messing
    >>>around with a lame OS like Win98 anyway?
    >>>

    >>Because Win 98SE was the most stable of the Windohs OS line?
    >

    > That was meant as a joke wasn't it? I have seen win 9x and ME blue screen
    > litererally hundreds of times. I have only ever seen 2k blue screen once,
    > and I have never seen XP blue screen. Win98 and SE are not stable.

    No. I have heard and seen nothing but problems with ME and 2k, and I am
    very glad I never needed either.

    True, I haven't had trouble with XP, but I know others who have. I never
    had problems with 98SE.

    I just wish games like the Sims and EQ worked on Linux.

    -georg

    georg wrote:
    > I just wish games like the Sims and EQ worked on Linux.

    I don't know much about Linux as I have only ever had the misfortune of
    having to use Debian once, without a clue how to use it, but AFAIK Linux is
    completely different to Windows and would need the game remaking completely,
    would the different distros need different versions? It would just be way
    too much for EA, and they wouldn't make a profit from the few Linux users
    that want to play games on it.

    "Richard Forester" <richard_forester(nospam)@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Well, yes, XP will run slower on the same hardware. This is kinda obvious
    > since it requires more resources. As far as knowing what is running on
    it,
    > there's more information available to the user under XP than under Win98.
    > Also you have a lot more control over shutting down processes under XP.
    In
    > Win9x this was a very risky thing to do since everything effectively ran
    in
    > the same address space. I can go on and on about how XP is factually
    better
    > than Win9x but I'm sure you don't want to hear about it.

    Um, not the same hardware here. I still have my 98se machine. This one
    came with xp home on it.
    I just cannot get the sims2 to run on my 98se machine (well can't even test
    it cause there is no dvd drive on that machine), so I am stuck with this
    one.

    >> I just wish games like the Sims and EQ worked on Linux.
    >
    > I don't know much about Linux as I have only ever had the misfortune of
    > having to use Debian once, without a clue how to use it, but AFAIK Linux is
    > completely different to Windows and would need the game remaking completely,

    Not really. Most games are quite modular. The only things that are
    likely to be different are the install scripts and maybe some front end
    work. You just need to look at the success of things like SCUMMVM (a
    cross-platform interpreter for LucasArts' SCUMM engine) and the port to
    Linux of Unreal Tournament (download a new installer), or the fact that
    a lot of games put a PC version and a Mac version on one disc, to
    realise that once you've already made the game it's not that much extra
    work to run it on a different platform.

    It would be bad practise to make a game that was closely tied to Windows
    anyway. That would leave you vulnerable to all sorts of things, not
    least of all the way that Microsoft habitually changes the way that
    Windows works to stifle the competition.

    > would the different distros need different versions?

    Unlikely. Linux is POSIX-compliant, so in theory if you could get it to
    run on Linux it should also work on Unix and BSD-based systems like OS X
    without too much hassle. All the distributions are just different
    software collections. So you'll get the kernel, desktop manager and
    other useful software in all distributions, and then you'll get some
    other stuff depending on which distribution you go for. The largest
    difference, AFAIK, between distros is which package mechanism they use.

    It would just be way
    > too much for EA, and they wouldn't make a profit from the few Linux users
    > that want to play games on it.

    Ah, but if there were more games available, then there'd be more Linux
    users.

    Anyway, most games companies are wondering whether it's worth bothering
    to port a game to the PC at all, given that it's such a tiny market
    compared to consoles. EA in particular are most likely to only go with
    the most lucrative, regardless of how many customers they might leave in
    the cold... I'm certainly not holding my breath expecting them to lead
    the way in anything.

    CK

    "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I wouldn't argue about Win98 Second Addison. I used it for about six years
    > and never had the kind of trebles you spoke of. I bought a brand new
    > Pacard
    > Bell 2.66 GHz because I wanted to play Unreal Tournament 4 as my old
    > computer would not play it. And of cores Sims 2. Now, it came with Windows
    > XP installed and I used it for just one day. Has I said, it wasn't for me.

    That's cool. I understand what you are saying.

    > Computer Companies are making newer and faster computers Neely every day.
    > And every time the do, Microsoft brings out new OS Systems that slows them
    > down again. And so do a lot of new games these days.

    I wouldn't say this but slowness is a matter of perception and opinion. You
    are entitled to yours. Actually, the speed of an OS is largely determined
    on hardware but also how many/what type of services you have running. Does
    XP have more services than 98? You betcha. But does it offer more
    functionality and a more stable OS? Absolutely.

    > The other thing about XP is it's ability to use up a lot of your internet
    > bandwidth, bandwidth that you are paying for! Bandwidth that you need
    > yourself. Not forgetting the use of your computers resources. Last but not
    > lest, if you own your own network, you must buy and use a new copy of XP
    > for
    > each computer on your network. Or XP will not network on any of them.

    Umm... XP doesn't "use up" bandwith. I have no idea what you mean by that.
    Also, don't you think you should pay for what you use? A lot of blood,
    sweat and tears went into engineering XP. Don't you think the manufacturer
    is entitled to compensation for your use of the product?

    > But apart from all that it is a good operating system.
    >
    > I too love the old adventure games so I put windows 98 on my new computer
    > and I was truly amazed how much faster it run. "Slicker than snot on a
    > doorknob!"

    LOL. You're right. You should use what works best for you.

    > I am now using Windows 2000 witch I found was best suited for my new
    > computer and for me. The only trouble I am having now is trying to play my
    > old adventure games. I get error saying this system is not a dos
    > supporting
    > operating system. Or something like that.

    Have you tried running these older games under compatibility mode? It
    doesn't always work but it does sometimes.

    > Why can't you network 98? I have. I have Win2000 on my UT server. Win200
    > on
    > my main computer and Win98 on my old computer. They are all showing up on
    > my
    > network. And that way I can still play my old adventure games.
    >
    > At the end of the day, we all use what ever suits us. And should not poke
    > fun at others who do. We are all happy.
    >
    > Paul.

    I'm sorry if you took my comments personally. They weren't ment to be
    directed that way. I was merely pointing out how XP is superior to Win9x
    and that if your hardware no longer runs that old OS you should move on.

    Richard

> [...]
    > > operating system. Or something like that.
    > >

    > Have you tried running these older games under compatibility mode? It
    > doesn't always work but it does sometimes.
    >
    > > Why can't you network 98? I have. I have Win2000 on my UT server. Win200
    > > on
    > > my main computer and Win98 on my old computer. They are all showing up
    on
    > > my
    > > network. And that way I can still play my old adventure games.
    > >
    > > At the end of the day, we all use what ever suits us. And should not
    poke
    > > fun at others who do. We are all happy.
    > >
    > > Paul.
    >
    > I'm sorry if you took my comments personally. They weren't ment to be
    > directed that way. I was merely pointing out how XP is superior to Win9x
    > and that if your hardware no longer runs that old OS you should move on.

    News==----
    Newsgroups
    =----
    Thank you for your input Richard. And yes your right. XP is more superior to
    Windows 98. But can you remember how superior Win98 compared too Win95? Back
    at the time when a 600MB hard drive cost £250 Pound? Ha Ha. Them where the
    days! I appreciate what you say because you know what you are talking about
    and I agree with everything you are saying. The XP Internet bandwidth I'm
    referring to is band bandwidth that programs running in the background XP
    use whenever you connect to the Internet. I cannot remember exactly how many
    there was now, but I was shocked. All this Internet activity simply would
    not work on my UT server. It will make the game very lagy for players play
    the game. The UT server uses all available band with just for the game.

    Allow me to explain why it is I proffer not to use XP. I did install and
    wanted to use XP on one of my computers some time ago. Anyway, I got all the
    correct drivers for all the hard where but had treble with the driver for my
    creative sound card. Quit a good one at the time. It would not work. XP
    allowed me to reinstall the driver for the hard where again, I tried again
    and again it did not work. After that XP locked me out. Everything to do
    with the sound card was grayed out. XP said the devise was not working and
    was disabled. No matter what I tried, XP would not allow me fix it.

    I do know and realize that XP takes control away from the user and I felt
    like I'd lost something. And so I thought that XP was not for the
    experienced hands on users, but more for the new comers to computing. I am
    not saying you're a new comer! I can tell from what you write you know what
    you are talking about.

    Thank you for your advice relating to playing old games on windows 200. I
    will give that a try.

    Paul.

    > Thank you for your input Richard. And yes your right. XP is more superior
    > Windows 98. But can you remember how superior Win98 compared too Win95?
    > Back
    > at the time when a 600MB hard drive cost £250 Pound? Ha Ha. Them where the
    > days! I appreciate what you say because you know what you are talking
    > about
    > and I agree with everything you are saying. The XP Internet bandwidth I'm
    > referring to is band bandwidth that programs running in the background XP
    > use whenever you connect to the Internet. I cannot remember exactly how
    > many
    > there was now, but I was shocked. All this Internet activity simply would
    > not work on my UT server. It will make the game very lagy for players play
    > the game. The UT server uses all available band with just for the game.

    Wow. I don't play Unreal Tournament so I wouldn't know anything about that.
    I was unaware that it required such a clean line. Have you considered other
    factors that might affect gameplay? For instance, latency is very important
    particularly with RTS games. I know that UT isn't an RTS but I thought I'd
    mention it. Anyway, latency is more of a factor on your broadband providers
    end. Also, you might be able to shutdown (make manual) some services that
    affect gameplay.

    > Allow me to explain why it is I proffer not to use XP. I did install and
    > wanted to use XP on one of my computers some time ago. Anyway, I got all
    > the
    > correct drivers for all the hard where but had treble with the driver for
    > my
    > creative sound card. Quit a good one at the time. It would not work. XP
    > allowed me to reinstall the driver for the hard where again, I tried again
    > and again it did not work. After that XP locked me out. Everything to do
    > with the sound card was grayed out. XP said the devise was not working and
    > was disabled. No matter what I tried, XP would not allow me fix it.

    I bet this is/was a non-plug and play creative sound card. Maybe an AWE or
    something like that? Those don't do well with XP because XP likes to handle
    interrupts and allocation of resources. Also, believe it or not the slot
    you install it in is sometimes a factor if the BIOS is in charge of IRQ
    settings. At any rate, I understand what you are saying about trying to get
    your hardware to work. It's a total drag when it doesn't.

    One other thing I just thought of relating to your old games. Have you
    considered running them under Virtual PC? If you don't know what that is,
    it's a product that Microsoft aquired from another software publisher and
    updated it. You should be able to find it at your local PC store. Anyway,
    it allows you to run your older OS inside a virtual pc running on a host OS.
    For instance, I run XP natively and have Virtual PC to run other OSs. It's
    quite useful for playing with Linux (since I install it to my virtual pc
    instead of my physical hard drive). And it definately works great at
    running Windows 9x. It might be a solution to running your old games on
    Win2000 or XP.

    > I do know and realize that XP takes control away from the user and I felt
    > like I'd lost something. And so I thought that XP was not for the
    > experienced hands on users, but more for the new comers to computing. I am
    > not saying you're a new comer! I can tell from what you write you know
    > what
    > you are talking about.
    >
    > Thank you for your advice relating to playing old games on windows 200. I
    > will give that a try.
    >
    > Paul.

    Thanks for the kind words. If I can help you any further or if I didn't
    make something clear just give me a holler.

    Richard

    > Richard Forester wrote:
    >> This probably seems obvious but get Windows XP. Why are you messing
    >> around with a lame OS like Win98 anyway?
    >>

    > Because Win 98SE was the most stable of the Windohs OS line?
    >
    > I'd have kept it if I could, but I was forced into XP.
    >
    > -georg

    XP is waaaaay more stable than 98.

    "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > The other thing about XP is it's ability to use up a lot of your internet
    > bandwidth, bandwidth that you are paying for! Bandwidth that you need
    > yourself. Not forgetting the use of your computers resources. Last but not
    > lest, if you own your own network, you must buy and use a new copy of XP
    > for
    > each computer on your network. Or XP will not network on any of them.

    That's unadulterated bullpoop! My home network includes XP, 98, and even
    Linux, and they all network communicate perfectly well on the network.

    "Schfooge" <schfooge@NOSPAMFORME.rogers.com> wrote in message

    > "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > The other thing about XP is it's ability to use up a lot of your
    internet
    > > bandwidth, bandwidth that you are paying for! Bandwidth that you need
    > > yourself. Not forgetting the use of your computers resources. Last but
    not
    > > lest, if you own your own network, you must buy and use a new copy of XP
    > > for
    > > each computer on your network. Or XP will not network on any of them.
    >
    > That's unadulterated bullpoop! My home network includes XP, 98, and even
    > Linux, and they all network communicate perfectly well on the network.

    Hmm, that is not what paul said. He said that for every computer on your
    network that you want to run xp, you have to buy a separate copy of xp for
    each computer.
    And I know this to be true from personal experience.

    > "georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Richard Forester wrote:
    > >> This probably seems obvious but get Windows XP. Why are you messing
    > >> around with a lame OS like Win98 anyway?
    > >>

    > > Because Win 98SE was the most stable of the Windohs OS line?
    > >
    > > I'd have kept it if I could, but I was forced into XP.
    > >
    > > -georg
    >
    > XP is waaaaay more stable than 98.

    Can anyone tell me if the Guinness Book of records holds the longest post?

    More Over, can anyone tell me what this original post was about? Lol

    And just in case, if anyone is wondering what Windows XP, 2000 and 98 as got
    to do with Sims 2. I think it's because we are all in agreement here, Sims 2
    is compatible with all these operating systems.

    Last but not lest. In my opinion even Windows 95 was better than Windows ME.
    And Sims 2 will not work on ether!

    And ones again, thank you Richard for telling me about Virtual PC. I had
    herd of this product but never knew what it was till now. It sounds a
    logical alternative than Windows 98. It sounds like something in the lines
    of virtual Amiga 12 for your pc. But that's a hole another story. And no,
    just in case anyone asks, Sims 2 will not run on Amiga ether! Lol.

    Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
    family?

    Paul.

    Oooo ooo! Me me!

    I had 2 different Amiga 500s (at different times). Back then it really was
    an amazing computer with awesome graphics.

    Richard

    > Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
    > family?
    >
    > Paul.

    "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Schfooge" <schfooge@NOSPAMFORME.rogers.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > >>

    > > > Because Win 98SE was the most stable of the Windohs OS line?
    > > >
    > > > I'd have kept it if I could, but I was forced into XP.
    > > >
    > > > -georg
    > >
    > > XP is waaaaay more stable than 98.
    > >

    > Can anyone tell me if the Guinness Book of records holds the longest post?
    >
    > More Over, can anyone tell me what this original post was about? Lol
    >
    > And just in case, if anyone is wondering what Windows XP, 2000 and 98 as
    got
    > to do with Sims 2. I think it's because we are all in agreement here, Sims
    2
    > is compatible with all these operating systems.
    >
    > Last but not lest. In my opinion even Windows 95 was better than Windows
    ME.
    > And Sims 2 will not work on ether!
    >
    > And ones again, thank you Richard for telling me about Virtual PC. I had
    > herd of this product but never knew what it was till now. It sounds a
    > logical alternative than Windows 98. It sounds like something in the lines
    > of virtual Amiga 12 for your pc. But that's a hole another story. And no,
    > just in case anyone asks, Sims 2 will not run on Amiga ether! Lol.
    >
    > Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
    > family?
    >
    > Paul.

    Does a TI004-A count?

    "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
    >family?

    /Has owned/? I still have 2 working C-64, in fact. With disk drives, tape
    drive and monitor, all of which are used occasionally. There is still a
    lively community of C-64 owners out there, and new software and hardware
    is still being created.

    --
    Philipp Lucas
    phlucas@online-club.de

    "Philipp Lucas" <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in message
    > "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
    >>family?
    >
    > /Has owned/? I still have 2 working C-64, in fact. With disk drives, tape
    > drive and monitor, all of which are used occasionally. There is still a
    > lively community of C-64 owners out there, and new software and hardware
    > is still being created.
    >
    > --
    > Philipp Lucas
    > phlucas@online-club.de

    Old fans never die - they just get clogged up with fluff.
    It is amazing how many of the 'golden oldie' computers still have people
    working away on them. Do people always have a soft spot for their first
    computer?

    Mine was an Ohio Scientific Superboard II and that fan did die. My husband
    made me a new one out of an old model boat propellor. The 'fan' was attached
    to a lump of wood (for weight) which sat on top of the open board - un
    guarded, and was lethal to fingers and cats and sent papers that were not
    weighted down all over the room.

    And oh, after using tape casettes, the thrill of the first disc-drive - and
    the COST! 8((((
    It's up in the loft, the Ohio. Every five years or so I think about it, then
    lie down with a ice-bag on my head.

    Yes I also had a C-64 for a year or so; and a Tangerine, and oh, and
    Sinclair Spectrum (these were all given to me to 'play with' An Einstein...
    Lor.. and my own BBC B, then the Archimedes, then a bigger Arch, then a
    RISC PC, and then I fell foul of the lure of PC software and joined the
    Billy-gang.
    I am now doomed. I have had one, two, three... blimey... five different PCs
    one way or the other.

    Granny. CA - what do you mean, 'I need a hobby'?

    Paul wrote:
    > Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the
    > Amiga family?

    My Brother got an Amiga 600 for his 6th (IIRC) Birthday. Originaly it had
    no HDD or OS, but we got them a bit later. Most of the games got corrupted
    but I think GORF (some space invaders type game that has nothing to do with
    frogs) and Bally (big box with a little dot that you guide around to
    highlight areas of the box, when you get 70% you go to the next level, but
    you must avoid the other dots) still work. That was only 13 years ago,
    things have kinda changed a bit since then.

    > Oooo ooo! Me me!
    >
    > I had 2 different Amiga 500s (at different times). Back then it really
    was
    > an amazing computer with awesome graphics.
    >
    > Richard
    Excellent Richard. I knew we were on the same wavelength.

    Paul.

    > "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
    > > family?
    > >
    > > Paul.

    News==----
    Newsgroups
    =----

    "Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Philipp Lucas" <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in message
    > > "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
    > >>family?
    > >
    > > /Has owned/? I still have 2 working C-64, in fact. With disk drives,
    tape
    > > drive and monitor, all of which are used occasionally. There is still a
    > > lively community of C-64 owners out there, and new software and hardware
    > > is still being created.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Philipp Lucas
    > > phlucas@online-club.de
    >
    > Old fans never die - they just get clogged up with fluff.
    > It is amazing how many of the 'golden oldie' computers still have people
    > working away on them. Do people always have a soft spot for their first
    > computer?
    >
    > Mine was an Ohio Scientific Superboard II and that fan did die. My husband
    > made me a new one out of an old model boat propellor. The 'fan' was
    attached
    > to a lump of wood (for weight) which sat on top of the open board - un
    > guarded, and was lethal to fingers and cats and sent papers that were not
    > weighted down all over the room.
    >
    > And oh, after using tape casettes, the thrill of the first disc-drive -
    and
    > the COST! 8((((
    > It's up in the loft, the Ohio. Every five years or so I think about it,
    then
    > lie down with a ice-bag on my head.
    >
    > Yes I also had a C-64 for a year or so; and a Tangerine, and oh, and
    > Sinclair Spectrum (these were all given to me to 'play with' An
    Einstein...
    > Lor.. and my own BBC B, then the Archimedes, then a bigger Arch, then a
    > RISC PC, and then I fell foul of the lure of PC software and joined the
    > Billy-gang.
    > I am now doomed. I have had one, two, three... blimey... five different
    PCs
    > one way or the other.
    >
    > Granny. CA - what do you mean, 'I need a hobby'?

    Wow, that's amazing. Who would have thought that people still use these old
    computers? No I don't think it's anything to do with a soft spot for their
    first
    computer. With me it's just that Commodore sound. You know the sound from
    that electronic music that the Commodore made from that Yamaha chip. Bloody
    fantastic.

    I have still got my Amiga12. And last week I picked up an old Commodore 64
    that someone had thrown out for the bin man. Just the computer none of the
    extras that the Commodore 64 needs to run. I had one of those Dayton Action
    Replay Cartridge in my old Commodore 64. I thought that was an amazing pace
    of kit for the Commodore 64.

    I am looking for somewhere to set up my Amaga12 again. There are still some
    games I loved playing and of course, most of these games are now free to
    download from Internet. Grate! You know, I bought Amber Star for my Amiga12
    and it was on free floppies and it took me two years to complete it! Amazing
    how it takes me to complete a pc game on two cd's in just two weeks.

    I got my first PC when Commodore went bust. Patti really.

    Paul.

    PS. I love my new PC too!

    "Philipp Lucas" <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in message
    > "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
    > >family?
    >
    > /Has owned/? I still have 2 working C-64, in fact. With disk drives, tape
    > drive and monitor, all of which are used occasionally. There is still a
    > lively community of C-64 owners out there, and new software and hardware
    > is still being created.
    >
    > --
    > Philipp Lucas
    > phlucas@online-club.de
    Philipp? I thought the Commodore with the disk drives was the Commodore 128?

    Paul.

    > "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Schfooge" <schfooge@NOSPAMFORME.rogers.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

    > > > XP is waaaaay more stable than 98.
    > > >

    > > Can anyone tell me if the Guinness Book of records holds the longest
    post?

    > > More Over, can anyone tell me what this original post was about? Lol
    > >
    > > And just in case, if anyone is wondering what Windows XP, 2000 and 98 as
    > got
    > > to do with Sims 2. I think it's because we are all in agreement here,
    Sims
    > 2
    > > is compatible with all these operating systems.
    > >
    > > Last but not lest. In my opinion even Windows 95 was better than Windows
    > ME.
    > > And Sims 2 will not work on ether!
    > >
    > > And ones again, thank you Richard for telling me about Virtual PC. I had
    > > herd of this product but never knew what it was till now. It sounds a
    > > logical alternative than Windows 98. It sounds like something in the
    lines
    > > of virtual Amiga 12 for your pc. But that's a hole another story. And
    no,
    > > just in case anyone asks, Sims 2 will not run on Amiga ether! Lol.
    > >
    > > Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
    > > family?
    > >
    > > Paul.
    >
    > Does a TI004-A count?

    Yes, why not? Tell us more about your TI004-A count. It's not one I've know
    about.

    Paul.

    "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >"Philipp Lucas" <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in message
    >> /Has owned/? I still have 2 working C-64, in fact. With disk drives, tape
    >> drive and monitor, all of which are used occasionally. There is still a
    >> lively community of C-64 owners out there, and new software and hardware
    >> is still being created.
    >Philipp? I thought the Commodore with the disk drives was the Commodore 128?

    No, there were several disk drives for the C-64; the first one (to the
    best of my knowlege) the 1541, and also 1541-II, the 1571 and other
    drives. Looking at
    http://www.commodore.ca/gallery/brochures/1983completeline/pg7.jpg , the
    1541 also worked on the VIC-20.

    For even more rare disk drives for the C-64 and other machines, see
    http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/ckb/secret/periph.html .

    (I apologize for the complete off-topic-ness.)

    --

    > "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >"Philipp Lucas" <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in message
    > >> /Has owned/? I still have 2 working C-64, in fact. With disk drives,
    tape
    > >> drive and monitor, all of which are used occasionally. There is still a
    > >> lively community of C-64 owners out there, and new software and
    hardware
    > >> is still being created.
    > >Philipp? I thought the Commodore with the disk drives was the Commodore
    128?

    > No, there were several disk drives for the C-64; the first one (to the
    > best of my knowlege) the 1541, and also 1541-II, the 1571 and other
    > drives. Looking at
    > http://www.commodore.ca/gallery/brochures/1983completeline/pg7.jpg , the
    > 1541 also worked on the VIC-20.
    >
    > For even more rare disk drives for the C-64 and other machines, see
    > http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/ckb/secret/periph.html .
    >
    > (I apologize for the complete off-topic-ness.)
    >
    > --
    > Philipp Lucas
    > phlucas@online-club.de
    No, that's ok Philipp. I had the 1541 disk drive for my C64. And the Dayton
    Action Replay Cartridge with was pretty amazing Pease of kit. I think the C
    128 was the one with the built it floppy drive and I thought that's what you
    was talking about.

    Thank you Philipp for all your input and interest.

    Paul.

    > Wow, that's amazing. Who would have thought that people still use these
    > old
    > computers? No I don't think it's anything to do with a soft spot for their
    > first
    > computer. With me it's just that Commodore sound. You know the sound from
    > that electronic music that the Commodore made from that Yamaha chip.
    > Bloody
    > fantastic.

    Ha!! THAT was why a friend passed his old C-64 to me. He had a sort of
    clippy-on piano keyboard. I had a whale of a time. I still hanker after a
    music keyboard. 8( Husband hammers hell out of a piano downstairs that
    hasn;t been tuned for thirty years. It sounds.... interesting and rather
    modern.

    > I have still got my Amiga12. And last week I picked up an old Commodore 64
    > that someone had thrown out for the bin man. Just the computer none of the
    > extras that the Commodore 64 needs to run. I had one of those Dayton
    > Action
    > Replay Cartridge in my old Commodore 64. I thought that was an amazing
    > pace
    > of kit for the Commodore 64.

    It was the fan base that amused me. I went to a local computer club once..
    early 80s. There were Pets, and I think an proto apple? I really can't
    remember, but the hobbyists looked down their noses at anything that came
    with a big name and the Nascom builders looked down their noses at everyone
    else.

    A computer wasn;t a computer unless it broke down on a regular basis and
    needed soldering somewhere. Oh, and if you could buy ready made software
    then you had a 'toy.'
    8(((((
    I learned good old BASIC because I had to. Assembler finished me off though.

    > I am looking for somewhere to set up my Amaga12 again. There are still
    > some
    > games I loved playing and of course, most of these games are now free to
    > download from Internet. Grate! You know, I bought Amber Star for my
    > Amiga12
    > and it was on free floppies and it took me two years to complete it!
    > Amazing
    > how it takes me to complete a pc game on two cd's in just two weeks.

    You are starting to sound old...... ;)
    Remember Colossal Cavern, or Caves? I had a wall chart map, updated daily,
    and it took me months to work my way through it. I was only about ten years
    behind the times.

    Now? I can't be bothered. I never did complete Grim Fandango, the last
    adventure type game I bought.
    Text based adventures... Sigh.... <wave walking stick about> We had to use
    out imagination in those days. No pretty pictures.... No Sims, either. 8(

    > I got my first PC when Commodore went bust. Patti really.

    I bought a 486 PC after a 486 board put in my RISC PC refused to work. I
    wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I hated it. I snarled at it. I
    jeered. Ho-ho-ho. What an operating mess! Snigger. Look at that pile of
    dlls! ha! how stupid.
    Meanwhile I am still using a PC type and two Acorn machines are long gone.
    I still think Windows is a mess, but... what the heck....

    IF it takes 30 years for any new 'developed' inovation to be accepted fully
    into society, then... 1960s saw the start. 1970s saw the rise of the
    integrated circuit and spread of the computer nerd innovator... 1980s was
    the explosion when desktops crept out of offices and into homes,,. Another
    ten years?
    We are still in the learning stage. 8))))

    Hasn't it been fun?

    Granny.

    > > "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Schfooge" <schfooge@NOSPAMFORME.rogers.com> wrote in message

    > messing

    > > > Can anyone tell me if the Guinness Book of records holds the longest
    > post?
    > > >
    > > > More Over, can anyone tell me what this original post was about? Lol
    > > >
    > > > And just in case, if anyone is wondering what Windows XP, 2000 and 98
    as
    > > got
    > > > to do with Sims 2. I think it's because we are all in agreement here,
    > Sims
    > > 2
    > > > is compatible with all these operating systems.
    > > >
    > > > Last but not lest. In my opinion even Windows 95 was better than
    Windows
    > > ME.
    > > > And Sims 2 will not work on ether!
    > > >
    > > > And ones again, thank you Richard for telling me about Virtual PC. I
    had
    > > > herd of this product but never knew what it was till now. It sounds a
    > > > logical alternative than Windows 98. It sounds like something in the
    > lines
    > > > of virtual Amiga 12 for your pc. But that's a hole another story. And
    > no,
    > > > just in case anyone asks, Sims 2 will not run on Amiga ether! Lol.
    > > >
    > > > Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the
    Amiga
    > > > family?
    > > >
    > > > Paul.
    > >
    > > Does a TI004-A count?
    >
    > Yes, why not? Tell us more about your TI004-A It's not one I know
    > about.
    >
    > Paul.

    <snip>

    > Now? I can't be bothered. I never did complete Grim Fandango, the last
    > adventure type game I bought.

    You should. It's a really good game. One of my favourites.

    CK

    Well I was asking if my TI-994A would count as an old computer, like the
    amiga or commodore.
    It used the tv as a monitor and saving was done with cassette tape and i had
    a ball with it.
    It was given to be by my father after the doc told me I had to sit at home
    on my ass for the last 6 months of my pregnancy. So for 6 months, I altered
    programs written for other computers so that they would work on mine. I
    made my own cute little programs, including music and graphics. Then the
    baby was born and the computer forgotten :)

    "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > > "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Schfooge" <schfooge@NOSPAMFORME.rogers.com> wrote in message

    > messing

    > > > Can anyone tell me if the Guinness Book of records holds the longest
    > post?
    > > >
    > > > More Over, can anyone tell me what this original post was about? Lol
    > > >
    > > > And just in case, if anyone is wondering what Windows XP, 2000 and 98
    as
    > > got
    > > > to do with Sims 2. I think it's because we are all in agreement here,
    > Sims
    > > 2
    > > > is compatible with all these operating systems.
    > > >
    > > > Last but not lest. In my opinion even Windows 95 was better than
    Windows
    > > ME.
    > > > And Sims 2 will not work on ether!
    > > >
    > > > And ones again, thank you Richard for telling me about Virtual PC. I
    had
    > > > herd of this product but never knew what it was till now. It sounds a
    > > > logical alternative than Windows 98. It sounds like something in the
    > lines
    > > > of virtual Amiga 12 for your pc. But that's a hole another story. And
    > no,
    > > > just in case anyone asks, Sims 2 will not run on Amiga ether! Lol.
    > > >
    > > > Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the
    Amiga
    > > > family?
    > > >
    > > > Paul.
    > >
    > > Does a TI004-A count?
    >
    > Yes, why not? Tell us more about your TI004-A count. It's not one I've
    know
    > about.
    >
    > Paul.

    I would say that the Timex Sinclair definitely falls into the category of an
    old computer. I remember conversing with my neurosurgeon about this early
    PC when I first got my Atari 800. His wife was telling me about some
    text-graphics (character based) game that taxed the system pretty badly...
    something called "Prince Billy" I think.

    I've had the following old computers:

    Atari 400
    Atari 800
    Atari 800XL
    Atari 130XE
    IBM PC (original PC)
    Atari 520ST
    Amiga 500

    After my last move I sold/donated/threw out all of my old equipment. I now
    use emulators to experience some of the old charm.

    Richard

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, Paul wrote:
    > Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
    > family?

    Both. And I've yet to find a racing game in the modern era that's even
    half as good as EA's "Racing Destruction Set" on the C64. :)

    My first computer was made by my dad in our basement. It was Heathkit
    16K with a tape drive, and I had to program my own games in BASIC.

    Then we got an Apple ][+. One of my friends had an Apple ][. We traded
    games. When the Apple started to go, we bought a second fan similar to
    what Granny's fan sounds like, and kept cooling it down. If you turn it
    on, it will still overheat after about 5 minutes, so you can't play
    anything on it any more. I loved Eamon though. Had a real fast 300 buad
    modem on the thing too.

    I got a Leading Edge PC when I went to college. I've had quite a few
    computers since then. 2 on my desk right now, and my sweetie has one as
    well. (We used to play EverCrack together- of course we have our own
    machines)

    -georg

    "CK" <CatKiller@nospamplease.Bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Now? I can't be bothered. I never did complete Grim Fandango, the last
    >> adventure type game I bought.
    >
    > You should. It's a really good game. One of my favourites.

    But I have to think!....

    No, I prefer the sim type games, from Sim City (absolutely basic, blocky
    houses) upwards, via all the transport games, some of the business ones. I
    had a Pizza parlour one that was a hoot. and Hence to Sims, glorious Sims,
    the biggest doll's house in the world, perhaps. Rollercoasters, also,
    parks... Didn't like zoo. Still play Industry Giant II. Lovely trains and
    planes and things.
    Thank goodness I can't play online.

    Best 'game' for me is one where I can design, set it to run, and at times,
    sit back and enjoy it.

    Granny.

    "Joseph William Dixon" <aa343@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, Paul wrote:
    > > Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
    > > family?
    >
    > Both. And I've yet to find a racing game in the modern era that's even
    > half as good as EA's "Racing Destruction Set" on the C64. :)
    >
    > --
    > "...there are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that
    cannot
    > easily be duplicated by a normal, kindly family man who just comes into
    > work every day and has a job to do." [Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"]
    > http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa343/index.html

    I remember once on the old Commodore 64, some times the game would not load
    from the data cassette, you could turn the data cassette upside down and
    that sometimes worked.

    Imagine this picture, you got this Cd that will not load on your pc, would
    it work if you turned your pc upside down? Lol.

    The other thing about these old computers was, nothing ever needed updating
    on them. You could not keep spending money on hard where because it cold not
    be removed.

    There is know doubt in my mind, nothing else in this world has came along so
    fast and so advanced as the computer, what ever you own now or in the past.
    There is nothing else in this world that can do so much with so little.

    I can admit now, all though I can read well enough, I am dyslectic and can
    not spell at all and my computer is even learning me to do that. And just
    look at everything else you can do with a PC!

    I have also come to realize how everyone on this news group is always reedy
    to dive in and help everyone out with good sound advice, no matter what the
    subject. No one here as slapped me down for any of my spelling mistakes. "I
    love this news group" It feels like home.

    Paul.

    Granny Crabapple wrote:

    > Best 'game' for me is one where I can design, set it to
    > run, and at times, sit back and enjoy it.

    Did you play the city builders? They're just like that. Zeus,
    Cleopatra, Emperor... Now there is Children of the Nile. I don't
    play Sims anymore, for now. Must... build... cities...

    T.

    "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    > Granny Crabapple wrote:
    >
    >> Best 'game' for me is one where I can design, set it to
    >> run, and at times, sit back and enjoy it.
    >
    > Did you play the city builders? They're just like that. Zeus,
    > Cleopatra, Emperor... Now there is Children of the Nile. I don't
    > play Sims anymore, for now. Must... build... cities...

    I have never bought any of those but sit and stare at the adverts everytime
    Dream sends me a booklet. Now I thought they would be like Civ II. A game I
    played to death and never want to see again. 8(
    Saturation point was reached. I even had some extra, Civ in space or
    something and a lot more. Drove me potty, it did.

    So the city builders are just one city, or a whole civillisation?

    Granny.

    > There is know doubt in my mind, nothing else in this world has came along
    > so
    > fast and so advanced as the computer, what ever you own now or in the
    > past.
    > There is nothing else in this world that can do so much with so little.
    >
    > I can admit now, all though I can read well enough, I am dyslectic and can
    > not spell at all and my computer is even learning me to do that. And just
    > look at everything else you can do with a PC!

    Oh, I agree about the spelling. I used to write like a fiend on a computer
    without a spelling chicken. I was happy. Then I moved all my files over to a
    new model with a built-in checker. I was aghast.

    THEN alaong came the wretched PC and Word with a grammar checker.
    I ignore it. What does IT know? <sniff>

    > I have also come to realize how everyone on this news group is always
    > reedy
    > to dive in and help everyone out with good sound advice, no matter what
    > the
    > subject. No one here as slapped me down for any of my spelling mistakes.
    > "I
    > love this news group" It feels like home.

    Amen to that. 8))) But since looking at that trailer trash furniture, I do
    wonder.... Home?
    Home is where the trash is.

    Home is where my computer is. Does anyone else get withdrawal symptoms when
    they go away anywhere? Fret, fret...

    Granny.

    Granny Crabapple wrote:

    > Home is where my computer is. Does anyone else get
    > withdrawal symptoms when they go away anywhere? Fret,
    > fret...

    I once was without a computer for TEN DAYS. After a few days,
    withdrawal symptoms began to diminish, though. So... it wasn't
    really hell. Read a lot.

    T.

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> Now? I can't be bothered. I never did complete Grim Fandango, the last
    >>> adventure type game I bought.
    >>
    >> You should. It's a really good game. One of my favourites.
    >>
    > But I have to think!....

    Yes, that is true. That's why I like adventure games so much. The most
    immersive games that I've played have all been adventures, and the most
    memorable. Although you don't tend to get as much (quantity) of gameplay
    in an adventure game, I find it a much more satisfying experience. Still
    different strokes for different folks...

    How far did you get, out of interest?

    > No, I prefer the sim type games, from Sim City (absolutely basic, blocky
    > houses) upwards, via all the transport games, some of the business ones. I
    > had a Pizza parlour one that was a hoot. and Hence to Sims, glorious Sims,
    > the biggest doll's house in the world, perhaps. Rollercoasters, also,
    > parks... Didn't like zoo. Still play Industry Giant II. Lovely trains and
    > planes and things.
    > Thank goodness I can't play online.

    Point & click were always my favourite. Then when people didn't make
    them any more, I switched to first person shooters, since that was all
    that was really available. I got quite good at them too. I never really
    felt any appeal from sports or driving games. I started playing The Sims
    and strategy games because my other half enjoyed them and I got to see
    what they were about, so now I've enjoyed Warcraft, Starcraft, Theme
    Hospital, Theme Park and Rollercoaster Tycoon. Oh, and Dungeon Keeper.

    I think that it's mostly the social aspect that I enjoy from the games
    that I play. I'll generally play through an adventure game with my other
    half, and the FPS and strategy games I'll normally play multiplayer over
    a network. Even with The Sims I'll keep my other half posted on what's
    happening to them.

    >>> <snip>

    >>> You should. It's a really good game. One of my favourites.
    >>>
    >> But I have to think!....
    >>
    > Yes, that is true. That's why I like adventure games so much. The most
    > immersive games that I've played have all been adventures, and the most
    > memorable. Although you don't tend to get as much (quantity) of gameplay
    > in an adventure game, I find it a much more satisfying experience. Still
    > different strokes for different folks...
    >
    > How far did you get, out of interest?

    Ah, there is a sad story here. A friend of my son came over and took over.
    He had played the game before. He knew a cheat site. He cheated, and left my
    little guy in a cellar with a forklift truck. I remained in that cellar for
    about two months then gave up. I am still in the cellar. In fact, I am back
    at the start by now thanks to reformatting and not saving.
    I know a woman who has been playing it for five years. She is getting
    nowhere.

    > I think that it's mostly the social aspect that I enjoy from the games
    > that I play. I'll generally play through an adventure game with my other
    > half, and the FPS and strategy games I'll normally play multiplayer over a
    > network. Even with The Sims I'll keep my other half posted on what's
    > happening to them.

    I used to do that with great glee until I got fed up with the sad looks.
    once I started gloating about Mephistopheles Jones and the Pyscho House, I
    saw the blinds come down between his ears and brain, so I desisted.

    Wistful... It would be nice to play in tandem with someone. Ah well. perhaps
    not. All they would do is spoil my plot, so never mind.

    Granny.

    > "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > There is know doubt in my mind, nothing else in this world has came
    along
    > > so
    > > fast and so advanced as the computer, what ever you own now or in the
    > > past.
    > > There is nothing else in this world that can do so much with so little.
    > >
    > > I can admit now, all though I can read well enough, I am dyslectic and
    can
    > > not spell at all and my computer is even learning me to do that. And
    just
    > > look at everything else you can do with a PC!
    >
    > Oh, I agree about the spelling. I used to write like a fiend on a
    computer
    > without a spelling chicken. I was happy. Then I moved all my files over to
    > new model with a built-in checker. I was aghast.
    >
    > THEN alaong came the wretched PC and Word with a grammar checker.
    > I ignore it. What does IT know? <sniff>
    > >
    > > I have also come to realize how everyone on this news group is always
    > > reedy
    > > to dive in and help everyone out with good sound advice, no matter what
    > > the
    > > subject. No one here as slapped me down for any of my spelling mistakes.
    > > "I
    > > love this news group" It feels like home.
    > >
    > Amen to that. 8))) But since looking at that trailer trash furniture, I
    do
    > wonder.... Home?
    > Home is where the trash is.
    >
    > Home is where my computer is. Does anyone else get withdrawal symptoms
    when
    > they go away anywhere? Fret, fret...
    >
    > Granny.

    I am using office 2000. Did you know you can disable the grammar checker!
    When it looks at your grammar you will see a tick in a box somewhere, take
    that out and it will stop. I do use it though. It knows more than I do!
    <sniff> Lol

    Yes, I do get withdrawal symptoms. Very bad. I cannot be away from my
    computer at all!!! I even get fed up and board when I turn off my computer
    at bed times. And then I can't sleep.

    Paul.

    > I would say that the Timex Sinclair definitely falls into the category of
    an
    > old computer. I remember conversing with my neurosurgeon about this early
    > PC when I first got my Atari 800. His wife was telling me about some
    > text-graphics (character based) game that taxed the system pretty badly...
    > something called "Prince Billy" I think.
    >
    > I've had the following old computers:
    >
    > Atari 400
    > Atari 800
    > Atari 800XL
    > Atari 130XE
    > IBM PC (original PC)
    > Atari 520ST
    > Amiga 500
    >
    > After my last move I sold/donated/threw out all of my old equipment. I
    now
    > use emulators to experience some of the old charm.
    >
    > Richard

    > > Well I was asking if my TI-994A would count as an old computer, like the
    > > amiga or commodore.
    > > It used the tv as a monitor and saving was done with cassette tape and i
    > > had
    > > a ball with it.
    > > It was given to be by my father after the doc told me I had to sit at
    home
    > > on my ass for the last 6 months of my pregnancy. So for 6 months, I
    > > altered
    > > programs written for other computers so that they would work on mine.
    > > made my own cute little programs, including music and graphics. Then
    the
    > > baby was born and the computer forgotten :)
    > >
    > > "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message

    > >> messing

    > >> post?

    Lol

    > > as
    > >> Sims

    > > Windows

    > > had
    > >> lines
    And
    > >> no,

    > > Amiga

    > >> Yes, why not? Tell us more about your TI004-A count. It's not one I've
    > > know
    > >> about.
    > >>
    > >> Paul.

    News==----
    Newsgroups
    =----
    I had the Atari 800XL with the high rez monitor. Treble was even with all
    that; you could not play color games on it.

    I think it was after the Atari 800XL I moved on to the Amiga 1200. Witch I
    still have.

    I am still looking around the house trying to find the space to set it all
    up again. At my old flat, I even got my Amiga net-worked on my home network.
    I could even surf the Internet on it! Truly amazing when the Amiga first
    came out, they where never meant to be used on the Internet.

    Paul.

    > Well I was asking if my TI-994A would count as an old computer, like the
    > amiga or commodore.
    > It used the tv as a monitor and saving was done with cassette tape and i
    had
    > a ball with it.
    > It was given to be by my father after the doc told me I had to sit at home
    > on my ass for the last 6 months of my pregnancy. So for 6 months, I
    altered
    > programs written for other computers so that they would work on mine. I
    > made my own cute little programs, including music and graphics. Then the
    > baby was born and the computer forgotten :)
    I bet that was a godsend! A lifesaver I bet. The commodore 64 also used a TV
    as a monitor. Also the Amiga1200 could use a TV as a monitor. Or even a high
    rez monitor.

    And I bet it was your TI-994A that got you started off on computing?

    Paul.

    "Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
    > Paul wrote:
    > > Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the
    > > Amiga family?
    >
    > My Brother got an Amiga 600 for his 6th (IIRC) Birthday. Originaly it had
    > no HDD or OS, but we got them a bit later. Most of the games got
    corrupted
    > but I think GORF (some space invaders type game that has nothing to do
    with
    > frogs) and Bally (big box with a little dot that you guide around to
    > highlight areas of the box, when you get 70% you go to the next level, but
    > you must avoid the other dots) still work. That was only 13 years ago,
    > things have kinda changed a bit since then.

    You should take a look at these links!

    http://amiga.emucamp.com/g_dl_a.htm

    http://www.cucug.org/amiga.html

    http://aminet.back2roots.org/aminet/browse.html

    http://us.aminet.net/

    http://www.aminet-gui.de/

    http://www.back2roots.org/

    http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/index.html

    And here you will find lots of free, legal game downloads.

    http://www.back2roots.org/News/

    And here.

    http://amiga.supergamez.hu/EngIntroSet.html

    And also, I think you will find this interesting.

    http://www.amigatopc.com/

    Has you can see Amiga is still not dead! You can download all these games
    for your Amiga for free. You will have to read up on how to convert the adf
    files back to Amiga format again. It's not hard to do I promises! Go on a
    look at the links. Have lots of fun.

    Paul.

    Granny Crabapple wrote:

    > "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    > > Granny Crabapple wrote:
    > > > Best 'game' for me is one where I can design, set it
    > > > to run, and at times, sit back and enjoy it.
    > > Did you play the city builders? They're just like that.
    > > Zeus, Cleopatra, Emperor... Now there is Children of
    > > the Nile. I don't play Sims anymore, for now. Must...
    > > build... cities...
    > I have never bought any of those but sit and stare at the
    > adverts everytime Dream sends me a booklet. Now I
    > thought they would be like Civ II. A game I played to
    > death and never want to see again. 8(

    Heh. The citybuilders are different. More focused on development,
    less on conquering. Also, they are real-time. If your city is
    stable, you can chose to sit back and watch the proceedings. My
    love can watch the doings of the little people for hours. I
    prefer to go on building, but slowly, slowly.

    > So the city builders are just one city, or a whole
    > civillisation?

    Usually they're one city, but big ones; you might need several
    districts, basically sub-cities.

    T.

    CK wrote:

    > > > <snip>
    > > > You should. It's a really good game. One of my
    > > > favourites.
    > > But I have to think!....
    > Yes, that is true. That's why I like adventure games so
    > much. The most immersive games that I've played have all
    > been adventures, and the most memorable.

    I love adventure games, but I didn't get very far in Grim
    Fandango. I prefer games in which the puzzles are actually
    solveable without a walkthrough.

    > Point & click were always my favourite. Then when people
    > didn't make them any more, I switched to first person
    > shooters, since that was all that was really available.

    I hate shooters. I hate dying :-) I hate having to be alert and
    fast if needed. I prefer adventures in which I can take my time
    at everything.

    > I think that it's mostly the social aspect that I enjoy
    > from the games that I play. I'll generally play through
    > an adventure game with my other half,

    Really? I thought me and my love are the only people in the world
    who play adventures together. I love it. I'm not wholy joking
    when I say it's one of the pillars of our relationship.

    T.

    "Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > There is know doubt in my mind, nothing else in this world has came
    along
    > > so
    > > fast and so advanced as the computer, what ever you own now or in the
    > > past.
    > > There is nothing else in this world that can do so much with so little.
    > >
    > > I can admit now, all though I can read well enough, I am dyslectic and
    can
    > > not spell at all and my computer is even learning me to do that. And
    just
    > > look at everything else you can do with a PC!
    >
    > Oh, I agree about the spelling. I used to write like a fiend on a
    computer
    > without a spelling chicken. I was happy. Then I moved all my files over to
    > new model with a built-in checker. I was aghast.
    >
    > THEN alaong came the wretched PC and Word with a grammar checker.
    > I ignore it. What does IT know? <sniff>
    > >
    > > I have also come to realize how everyone on this news group is always
    > > reedy
    > > to dive in and help everyone out with good sound advice, no matter what
    > > the
    > > subject. No one here as slapped me down for any of my spelling mistakes.
    > > "I
    > > love this news group" It feels like home.
    > >
    > Amen to that. 8))) But since looking at that trailer trash furniture, I
    do
    > wonder.... Home?
    > Home is where the trash is.
    >
    > Home is where my computer is. Does anyone else get withdrawal symptoms
    when
    > they go away anywhere? Fret, fret...
    >
    > Granny

    I just drag my computer with me when I am moving or running away from home,
    lol. It went to maine and back with me :)

Windows 98 Sims Computers Games Video Games