My new computer arrives... - Page 2

Last response: in Video Games
February 14, 2005 4:06:49 PM

"Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:vQ%Pd.94970$B8.53561@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> > Well I was asking if my TI-994A would count as an old computer, like the
> > amiga or commodore.
> > It used the tv as a monitor and saving was done with cassette tape and i
> had
> > a ball with it.
> > It was given to be by my father after the doc told me I had to sit at
home
> > on my ass for the last 6 months of my pregnancy. So for 6 months, I
> altered
> > programs written for other computers so that they would work on mine.
> > made my own cute little programs, including music and graphics. Then
the
> > baby was born and the computer forgotten :)
> I bet that was a godsend! A lifesaver I bet. The commodore 64 also used a
TV
> as a monitor. Also the Amiga1200 could use a TV as a monitor. Or even a
high
> rez monitor.
>
> And I bet it was your TI-994A that got you started off on computing?
>
> Paul.

Yes and no. After that, I really did not have a computer til around 98. I
had messed around on friends and such tho and when I finally did get a
computer, well I learned really fast.............ask noname, she knows, lol.

> > "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:o wtPd.70079$B8.871@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> > >
> > > "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message

> > > messing

> > > post?

Lol

> 98
> > as
> here,
> > > Sims

> > Windows

> > had
> > > lines
> And
> > > no,

> > Amiga

> > > Yes, why not? Tell us more about your TI004-A count. It's not one I've
> > know
> > > about.
> > >
> > > Paul.

February 14, 2005 4:56:17 PM

>> > But I have to think!....
>> Yes, that is true. That's why I like adventure games so
>> much. The most immersive games that I've played have all
>> been adventures, and the most memorable.
>
> I love adventure games, but I didn't get very far in Grim
> Fandango. I prefer games in which the puzzles are actually
> solveable without a walkthrough.

Grim Fandango is eminently solvable without a walkthrough - I know,
because I did it. The only game that I've played I think is at least
insanely difficult without a walkthrough is the first Discworld game.
How anyone in a right frame of mind can work out how to get the
fishmonger's belt without crazy amounts of trial and error is beyond me.
Although I just asked someone else ;)

I will occasionally visit UHS Hints if I'm playing through with Mrs CK,
but that's because after a while it stops being entertainment after a
while to be sharing the experience of going to every location again and
saying everything to everybody again. Most of the time we'll have
already worked out how to solve the puzzle, but it won't let us do it
because we're clicking on the wrong bit - it just gives us focus on
which of the solutions we've come up with is the one worth following up.

>> Point & click were always my favourite. Then when people
>> didn't make them any more, I switched to first person
>> shooters, since that was all that was really available.
>
> I hate shooters. I hate dying :-) I hate having to be alert and
> fast if needed. I prefer adventures in which I can take my time
> at everything.

There is that, true. But there is a nice adrenaline rush from really
being in the zone and being nicely twitchy :) . And playing against other
people, especially if they're in the same room is great fun. You
wouldn't believe the giggling that comes out of a multiplayer UT session.

And there are several FPS that have puzzle-solving built in - Like
Half-Life, Deus Ex and No One Lives Forever. Not to mention the Action
Adventure games like Tomb Raider and Beyond Good & Evil. But not
everyone's reactions or control are good enough to find them enjoyable.
And I'm sure that there are people out there who wouldn't understand why
golf games or driving games hold very little appeal for me...

>> I think that it's mostly the social aspect that I enjoy
>> from the games that I play. I'll generally play through
>> an adventure game with my other half,
>
> Really? I thought me and my love are the only people in the world
> who play adventures together. I love it. I'm not wholy joking
> when I say it's one of the pillars of our relationship.

Likewise. But it's not just us - there are people who regularly post in
c.s.i.p.g.adventure that play socially.

CK
February 14, 2005 5:04:58 PM

>>> But I have to think!....
>>>
>> Yes, that is true. That's why I like adventure games so much. The most
>> immersive games that I've played have all been adventures, and the most
>> memorable. Although you don't tend to get as much (quantity) of gameplay
>> in an adventure game, I find it a much more satisfying experience. Still
>> different strokes for different folks...
>>
>> How far did you get, out of interest?
>
> Ah, there is a sad story here. A friend of my son came over and took over.
> He had played the game before. He knew a cheat site. He cheated, and left my
> little guy in a cellar with a forklift truck. I remained in that cellar for
> about two months then gave up. I am still in the cellar. In fact, I am back
> at the start by now thanks to reformatting and not saving.
> I know a woman who has been playing it for five years. She is getting
> nowhere.

I think I remember that bit. Not that it helps you much now, but I think
that's a lift puzzle.

And for your friend who's been playing so long, UHS Hints
(http://www.uhs-hints.com) is a nice resource for getting out of a rut.

>> I think that it's mostly the social aspect that I enjoy from the games
>> that I play. I'll generally play through an adventure game with my other
>> half, and the FPS and strategy games I'll normally play multiplayer over a
>> network. Even with The Sims I'll keep my other half posted on what's
>> happening to them.
>
> I used to do that with great glee until I got fed up with the sad looks.
> once I started gloating about Mephistopheles Jones and the Pyscho House, I
> saw the blinds come down between his ears and brain, so I desisted.

I guess it helps if they play The Sims too.

> Wistful... It would be nice to play in tandem with someone. Ah well. perhaps
> not. All they would do is spoil my plot, so never mind.

Mrs CK's computer has been out of action for a couple of weeks now, so
to give her her fix she's made a family in my game to play. It's been...
interesting... to have her Sims interacting with mine. Although I've
always thought that it's a shame that you can't play The Sims over a
network so that Sims from her neighbourhood could come and visit my Sims
with me controlling my Sims and she controlling hers. Still, maybe
that's something for TS3...

CK
February 14, 2005 8:22:53 PM

I don't think I've been without a computer in quite some time. When I am
going to be on vacation I take my laptop with me. Even back in the olden
days I used to bring my computer with me. I remember taking my Atari
computer with me (+ disk drives, power supplies, disks, etc.) on vacation
and hooking it up to the TV in the hotel room. No internet in those days
but I had to have my computer games with me at all times. :-)

I would imagine that I would last a week, maybe two without a computer.
Then insanity would surely follow.

Richard

> "Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
> message
>>
>> "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > There is know doubt in my mind, nothing else in this world has came
> along
>> > so
>> > fast and so advanced as the computer, what ever you own now or in the
>> > past.
>> > There is nothing else in this world that can do so much with so little.
>> >
>> > I can admit now, all though I can read well enough, I am dyslectic and
> can
>> > not spell at all and my computer is even learning me to do that. And
> just
>> > look at everything else you can do with a PC!
>>
>> Oh, I agree about the spelling. I used to write like a fiend on a
> computer
>> without a spelling chicken. I was happy. Then I moved all my files over
>> new model with a built-in checker. I was aghast.
>>
>> THEN alaong came the wretched PC and Word with a grammar checker.
>> I ignore it. What does IT know? <sniff>
>> >
>> > I have also come to realize how everyone on this news group is always
>> > reedy
>> > to dive in and help everyone out with good sound advice, no matter what
>> > the
>> > subject. No one here as slapped me down for any of my spelling
>> > mistakes.
>> > "I
>> > love this news group" It feels like home.
>> >
>> Amen to that. 8))) But since looking at that trailer trash furniture, I
> do
>> wonder.... Home?
>> Home is where the trash is.
>>
>> Home is where my computer is. Does anyone else get withdrawal symptoms
> when
>> they go away anywhere? Fret, fret...
>>
>> Granny
>
> I just drag my computer with me when I am moving or running away from
> home,
> lol. It went to maine and back with me :)

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:10:45 PM

CK wrote:

> > Taemon wrote:
> > I love adventure games, but I didn't get very far in
> > Grim Fandango. I prefer games in which the puzzles are
> > actually solveable without a walkthrough.
> Grim Fandango is eminently solvable without a walkthrough
> - I know, because I did it.

How did you do that? I AM pretty smart, but this... although I
did play it alone, it's a while ago.

> I will occasionally visit UHS Hints if I'm playing
> through with Mrs CK, but that's because after a while it
> stops being entertainment after a while to be sharing the
> experience of going to every location again and saying
> everything to everybody again.

When I play with my love I consult UHS less often. I'm not
allowed :-)

> Most of the time we'll
> have already worked out how to solve the puzzle, but it
> won't let us do it because we're clicking on the wrong
> bit - it just gives us focus on which of the solutions
> we've come up with is the one worth following up.

For that, it's ideal. I'm a big fan of UHS. I'd love to write my
own hint files but they usually have one ready before I even own
the game.

> > I hate shooters. I hate dying :-) I hate having to be
> > alert and fast if needed. I prefer adventures in which
> > I can take my time at everything.
> There is that, true. But there is a nice adrenaline rush
> from really being in the zone and being nicely twitchy
> :) .

I hate adrenaline :-) I'm twitchy by nature. I can't stand
caffeine, either.

> And playing against other people, especially if
> they're in the same room is great fun. You wouldn't
> believe the giggling that comes out of a multiplayer UT
> session.

That I can imagine. The only thing I did which ever came close
was playing Emperor on-line with my love - both in our own
hometown. It was okay, but it would have been much more fun if we
were in the same room. But I only have one computer here.

> And I'm sure that there are people out there
> who wouldn't understand why golf games or driving games
> hold very little appeal for me...

I play adventures and simulations. That's all but, fortunately,
it's enough.

> Likewise. But it's not just us - there are people who
> regularly post in c.s.i.p.g.adventure that play socially.

comp.sys.ibm.pc.game.adventure? That sounds nerdy. What do you
talk about?

T.
February 14, 2005 9:10:46 PM

>> > I love adventure games, but I didn't get very far in
>> > Grim Fandango. I prefer games in which the puzzles are
>> > actually solveable without a walkthrough.
>> Grim Fandango is eminently solvable without a walkthrough
>> - I know, because I did it.
>
> How did you do that? I AM pretty smart, but this... although I
> did play it alone, it's a while ago.

It was quite a while ago for me, too. ISTR that there weren't too many
items in the inventory at one time, which made it easier. And the
locations weren't huge, so it wasn't too much of a drag to wander around
trying things till something clicked. And I think that my sense of
humour was probably just surreal enough that the solutions made sense to
me. It did take a little while though.

Beneath A Steel Sky, which is available through the SCUMMVM site, was
quite challenging. Did that without hints, too.

>> I will occasionally visit UHS Hints if I'm playing
>> through with Mrs CK, but that's because after a while it
>> stops being entertainment after a while to be sharing the
>> experience of going to every location again and saying
>> everything to everybody again.
>
> When I play with my love I consult UHS less often. I'm not
> allowed :-)

I'm only allowed if my other half concurs. But with two people, there's
less need because we can talk about the puzzles.

>> Most of the time we'll
>> have already worked out how to solve the puzzle, but it
>> won't let us do it because we're clicking on the wrong
>> bit - it just gives us focus on which of the solutions
>> we've come up with is the one worth following up.
>
> For that, it's ideal. I'm a big fan of UHS. I'd love to write my
> own hint files but they usually have one ready before I even own
> the game.
>
>> > I hate shooters. I hate dying :-) I hate having to be
>> > alert and fast if needed. I prefer adventures in which
>> > I can take my time at everything.
>> There is that, true. But there is a nice adrenaline rush
>> from really being in the zone and being nicely twitchy
>> :) .
>
> I hate adrenaline :-) I'm twitchy by nature. I can't stand
> caffeine, either.

I'm a smoker and a tea junkie. I'm pretty wired most of the time. I
think that without all the stimulants I'd never get out of bed. It goes
without saying that I'm pretty scrawny :)

>> And playing against other people, especially if
>> they're in the same room is great fun. You wouldn't
>> believe the giggling that comes out of a multiplayer UT
>> session.
>
> That I can imagine. The only thing I did which ever came close
> was playing Emperor on-line with my love - both in our own
> hometown. It was okay, but it would have been much more fun if we
> were in the same room. But I only have one computer here.
>
>> And I'm sure that there are people out there
>> who wouldn't understand why golf games or driving games
>> hold very little appeal for me...
>
> I play adventures and simulations. That's all but, fortunately,
> it's enough.
>
>> Likewise. But it's not just us - there are people who
>> regularly post in c.s.i.p.g.adventure that play socially.
>
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.game.adventure? That sounds nerdy. What do you
> talk about?

It is pretty nerdy I guess. Traffic's been quite low of late. Often it's
recommendations of games for people to try, or reviews, or announcements
of what's going on in the genre. Some people ask for help on how to get
older games running.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 10:25:32 PM

CK wrote:

> Beneath A Steel Sky, which is available through the
> SCUMMVM site, was quite challenging. Did that without
> hints, too.

I have it on cd, but it didn't get beyond a certain point. I
don't know whether it was the OS or the cd. Don't care much,
either. We're playing Moment of Silence now :-)

> > When I play with my love I consult UHS less often. I'm
> > not allowed :-)
> I'm only allowed if my other half concurs. But with two
> people, there's less need because we can talk about the
> puzzles.

Yes, and that's the fun in it. Hmm, gaming together... I want a
holiday.

> > I hate adrenaline :-) I'm twitchy by nature. I can't
> > stand caffeine, either.
> I'm a smoker and a tea junkie. I'm pretty wired most of
> the time.

I'm a smoker but I usually only drink herbal tea. Yesterday I
drank quite a lot of black tea and I still regret it :-)

> > comp.sys.ibm.pc.game.adventure? That sounds nerdy. What
> > do you talk about?
> It is pretty nerdy I guess. Traffic's been quite low of
> late. Often it's recommendations of games for people to
> try, or reviews, or announcements of what's going on in
> the genre. Some people ask for help on how to get older
> games running.

Hm. No, won't join. No time, anyway. Must... build... cities...

T.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:06:55 AM

"Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> Granny Crabapple wrote:
>> thought they would be like Civ II. A game I played to
>> death and never want to see again. 8(
>
> Heh. The citybuilders are different. More focused on development,
> less on conquering. Also, they are real-time. If your city is
> stable, you can chose to sit back and watch the proceedings. My
> love can watch the doings of the little people for hours. I
> prefer to go on building, but slowly, slowly.

Right... This sounds more like my cup of tea. In CIV II I always played for
appeasement.
Far more interesting to get a working country than fighting a war.

GCA

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:06:55 AM

"CK" <CatKiller@nospamplease.Bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Although I've
> always thought that it's a shame that you can't play The Sims over a
> network so that Sims from her neighbourhood could come and visit my Sims
> with me controlling my Sims and she controlling hers. Still, maybe that's
> something for TS3...

Ummm. I think you would have to be sure of your fellow players. To say
nothing of agreeing to which hacks and cheats could be used. I mean, You
send your Sim over to my house, all in good faith and hoping to build up
friendship points and what do i do? use the magic mirror on them and turn
them into a human fire-ball.

How to make friends and influence people.

GCA
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 1:04:13 AM

Granny Crabapple wrote:

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> > Granny Crabapple wrote:
> > > I thought they would be like Civ II. A game I played to
> > > death and never want to see again. 8(
> > Heh. The citybuilders are different. More focused on
> > development, less on conquering. Also, they are
> > real-time. If your city is stable, you can chose to sit
> > back and watch the proceedings. My love can watch the
> > doings of the little people for hours. I prefer to go
> > on building, but slowly, slowly.
> Right... This sounds more like my cup of tea. In CIV II I
> always played for appeasement.
> Far more interesting to get a working country than
> fighting a war.

Far more. But I'm not doing too well with Children of the Nile.
They keep complaining on me... Maybe I should go back to China
and build me a nice town in Emperor.

T.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 1:04:14 AM

> Granny Crabapple wrote:
>
>> Right... This sounds more like my cup of tea. In CIV II I
>> always played for appeasement.
>> Far more interesting to get a working country than
>> fighting a war.
>
> Far more. But I'm not doing too well with Children of the Nile.
> They keep complaining on me... Maybe I should go back to China
> and build me a nice town in Emperor.

I went to Amazon and read the blurbs today. They frightened me.
I think I will wait a little longer. It was because of this panic attack I
decided to soothe myself with Industry Giant II.
Bahhhh!
So I built yet another Edwardian artisan two-up two-down terraced house
instead.
They are getting smaller and smaller. 8)))
Put a pianna, sofa and aspidestra in this parlour and you can't move. 8(

Granny.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 8:26:25 AM

georg wrote:
> Then we got an Apple ][+. One of my friends had an Apple ][. We
traded
> games. When the Apple started to go, we bought a second fan similar
> what Granny's fan sounds like, and kept cooling it down. If you turn
it
> on, it will still overheat after about 5 minutes, so you can't play
> anything on it any more. I loved Eamon though. Had a real fast 300
buad
> modem on the thing too.

If you're still interested in Eamon, there's a good website at
www.eamonag.org which has all of the eamon adventures and newsletters
on it. You can play them on a PC using an emulator...
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:21:11 PM

clarkbhm@gmail.com wrote:

> georg wrote:
>
>>Then we got an Apple ][+. One of my friends had an Apple ][. We
>
> traded
>
>>games. When the Apple started to go, we bought a second fan similar

>>what Granny's fan sounds like, and kept cooling it down. If you turn
>
> it
>
>>on, it will still overheat after about 5 minutes, so you can't play
>>anything on it any more. I loved Eamon though. Had a real fast 300
>
> buad
>
>>modem on the thing too.
>

> If you're still interested in Eamon, there's a good website at
> www.eamonag.org which has all of the eamon adventures and newsletters
> on it. You can play them on a PC using an emulator...

ooo! Thank you!

-georg
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:42:55 PM

> clarkbhm@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> georg wrote:
>>
>>>Then we got an Apple ][+. One of my friends had an Apple ][. We
>>
>> traded
>>
>>>games. When the Apple started to go, we bought a second fan similar

>>>what Granny's fan sounds like,

Which fan was that, the boat propellor nailed to a wooden board or my
current gold-plated connector-abundant bugger that weighs a ton?

A few weeks ago I was used to move my computer, what sits on a wooden
platform about 4" high, under the desk next to my right knee.. well, I used
to push it with my left foot.
I did that yesterday after grovelling about on the floor plugging in a
printer USB thing. Down I sat and PUSH I went with my left leg and the
wooden platform refused to move and an amazing paintul spasm shot down my
leg, over the floor and up the other leg and this morning I can't stand up
and I wail a lot.

Proof positive that Inkjet printers can damage your health.

Granny - ow! Ow! OW!
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 7:44:14 PM

Granny Crabapple wrote:

> "georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>clarkbhm@gmail.com wrote:

> Which fan was that, the boat propellor nailed to a wooden board or my
> current gold-plated connector-abundant bugger that weighs a ton?

The wooden board one. Da made the stand.

> A few weeks ago I was used to move my computer, what sits on a wooden
> platform about 4" high, under the desk next to my right knee.. well, I used
> to push it with my left foot.
> I did that yesterday after grovelling about on the floor plugging in a
> printer USB thing. Down I sat and PUSH I went with my left leg and the
> wooden platform refused to move and an amazing paintul spasm shot down my
> leg, over the floor and up the other leg and this morning I can't stand up
> and I wail a lot.
>
> Proof positive that Inkjet printers can damage your health.

You can borrow my spare heating pad if you can convince the moggie to
sit elsewhere. I had to get a spare because Colin didn't want to give up
the one on his shelf- posh cat bed. And then the spare got put on the
other side of my office chair on the pillow there when I was overheated,
and another cat has claimed that one. So I end up with two heating pads
used by cats, and none for me. My poor hip.

-georg
covered in cat hair
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:54:05 PM

>> Proof positive that Inkjet printers can damage your health.
>
> You can borrow my spare heating pad if you can convince the moggie to sit
> elsewhere. I had to get a spare because Colin didn't want to give up the
> one on his shelf- posh cat bed.

I trust Colin is a cat? Or perhaps your partner has rather exotic sleeping
habits?

And then the spare got put on the
> other side of my office chair on the pillow there when I was overheated,
> and another cat has claimed that one. So I end up with two heating pads
> used by cats, and none for me. My poor hip.

I can lend you my 'desktop' halogen heater if you like. It is the size of a
dustbin lid and about two foot tall.
Put it on the floor to warm up frozen knees (that damn power-supply and
attandent fans) and cats appear like magic, pushing whisckery face right up
to the grille.

Sympathy for The Hip, which is always spelled with capital letters, and
treated with deep respect because one cross word and we all know what might
happen next. If there is a patron saint of gammy hips, I would build a
shrine.

Granny
February 23, 2005 2:39:39 PM

Paul wrote:
> "Schfooge" <schfooge@NOSPAMFORME.rogers.com> wrote in message
>
>>"georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

>>>Because Win 98SE was the most stable of the Windohs OS line?
>>>
>>>I'd have kept it if I could, but I was forced into XP.
>>>
>>>-georg
>>
>>XP is waaaaay more stable than 98.
>>

> Can anyone tell me if the Guinness Book of records holds the longest post?
>
> More Over, can anyone tell me what this original post was about? Lol
>
> And just in case, if anyone is wondering what Windows XP, 2000 and 98 as got
> to do with Sims 2. I think it's because we are all in agreement here, Sims 2
> is compatible with all these operating systems.
>
> Last but not lest. In my opinion even Windows 95 was better than Windows ME.
> And Sims 2 will not work on ether!
>
> And ones again, thank you Richard for telling me about Virtual PC. I had
> herd of this product but never knew what it was till now. It sounds a
> logical alternative than Windows 98. It sounds like something in the lines
> of virtual Amiga 12 for your pc. But that's a hole another story. And no,
> just in case anyone asks, Sims 2 will not run on Amiga ether! Lol.
>
> Hands up, has anyone here ever owned a Commodore 64 or any of the Amiga
> family?
>
> Paul.

<ali raises her hand>
When I was a child we had even older than that. We had a Commodore Vic
20! It had a tape drive for playing games on, but mostly you just ran
programs you typed in. Then a few years later my cousin got the
Commodore 64 complete with the large floppy drive and a modem.

ali
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:55:17 PM

Granny Crabapple wrote:

> "georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
>

>>>Proof positive that Inkjet printers can damage your health.
>>
>>You can borrow my spare heating pad if you can convince the moggie to sit
>>elsewhere. I had to get a spare because Colin didn't want to give up the
>>one on his shelf- posh cat bed.
>

> I trust Colin is a cat? Or perhaps your partner has rather exotic sleeping
> habits?

Yep. I have Colin, Spider, Pepe, and Sassy, plus Dog. Dog has a name,
but we tend to forget it, since she's the only dog around. Colin is the
old man, so I tend to spoil him. Pepe is the youngest, and he's a little
stinker.

> I can lend you my 'desktop' halogen heater if you like. It is the size of a
> dustbin lid and about two foot tall.
> Put it on the floor to warm up frozen knees (that damn power-supply and
> attandent fans) and cats appear like magic, pushing whisckery face right up
> to the grille.

Yes, put that in the other room and let them congregate yonder! Probably
wouldn't work. No matter where I go in the house, the cats follow if I
sit for more than 5 min. I have the computers and desks arranged to
where the fans are not an issue for warmth of toes, and some really good
slippers.

> Sympathy for The Hip, which is always spelled with capital letters, and
> treated with deep respect because one cross word and we all know what might
> happen next. If there is a patron saint of gammy hips, I would build a
> shrine.

I think I would have to as well. Mine has this nasty habit of....
(medical details snipped because nobody really wants to hear it, no
matter how much I like to complain)

-georg
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:16:39 PM

>> Sympathy for The Hip, which is always spelled with capital letters, and
>> treated with deep respect because one cross word and we all know what
>> might happen next. If there is a patron saint of gammy hips, I would
>> build a shrine.
>
> I think I would have to as well. Mine has this nasty habit of.... (medical
> details snipped because nobody really wants to hear it, no matter how much
> I like to complain)

Write direct!!!! I have a morbid fascination with Hips, though I am a Back
person, myself.
This house revolves round 'A Hip,' and all the ramifications, thereof.

Complains received in the Sybil Fawlty tradition of 'Ohhh, I knowwwww.'

Granny.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:47:16 PM

Granny Crabapple wrote:

> "georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>I think I would have to as well. Mine has this nasty habit of.... (medical
>>details snipped because nobody really wants to hear it, no matter how much
>>I like to complain)
>>

> Write direct!!!! I have a morbid fascination with Hips, though I am a Back
> person, myself.
> This house revolves round 'A Hip,' and all the ramifications, thereof.
>
> Complains received in the Sybil Fawlty tradition of 'Ohhh, I knowwwww.'
>
> Granny.

All righty then, but don't say ye weren't warned.

You know how the pelvis has three bones in each side- ileum, ischium,
and pubic- and they ain't designed to shift? All three have a hand in
holding the hip joint in place as part of the socket for the ball.

For me, the middle one on top has a lovely habit of popping out of
place. The ligaments don't hold it in proper. Sometimes it shifts
forward overlapping the pubic bone as much as an inch. Sometimes it
shifts over the back one, pinching the hell out of the sciatica. Either
way, I've gotten good at using the femur to lever that bastard back in
place by grinding it against the other bones. And yes, it's every bit as
painful as it sounds.

So I spend a lot of time on ice packs and heating pads, depending on the
weather, and doing yoga-like stretching maneuvers. I'm really flexible,
but that crunching noise isn't all that comfy.

Normally, it's the right side. But sometimes the left gets jealous and
wants its turn. And I need physical therapy proper when they both go on
holiday, because the bits levering against ain't solid.

-georg
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:34:19 AM

news:o Z5Td.25718$vK5.21431@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> Granny Crabapple wrote:
>
>> "georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I think I would have to as well. Mine has this nasty habit of....
>>>(medical details snipped because nobody really wants to hear it, no
>>>matter how much I like to complain)
>>>

>> Write direct!!!! I have a morbid fascination with Hips, though I am a
>> Back person, myself.
>> This house revolves round 'A Hip,' and all the ramifications, thereof.
>>
>> Complains received in the Sybil Fawlty tradition of 'Ohhh, I knowwwww.'
>>
>> Granny.
>
> All righty then, but don't say ye weren't warned.

I meant email me, you noodle!!!! Never mind, I will lap up the gory details
and can i write back to you, or do you want all this to be public?

Granny.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:46:37 AM

Granny Crabapple wrote:

> I meant email me, you noodle!!!! Never mind, I will lap up the gory details
> and can i write back to you, or do you want all this to be public?

Feel free to email. :)

-georg
      • 1
      • 2 / 2